Author Topic: Is T. Boone Pickens 'Swiftboating' America?  (Read 4785 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Is T. Boone Pickens 'Swiftboating' America?
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:40:16 AM »
 Liberals have done a U-turn on conservative billionaire oilman T. Boone Pickens.

Formerly reviled for funding the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" campaign against Sen. John Kerry, he's now adored by the Left — unfortunately, for trying to gaslight the rest of us on energy policy.

This column recently spotlighted Pickens' proposed plan to get America off foreign oil by substituting wind-generated electricity for natural gas-generated electricity and then using the natural gas to replace gasoline.

Already having addressed the proposal's flaws — and Pickens' plan to profit at taxpayer expense from it — let's consider how Pickens' marketing shades the truth.

On his Web site and in TV commercials, Pickens tries to frighten Americans about being "addicted to foreign oil."

"In 1970, we imported 24 percent of our oil. Today, it's nearly 70 percent and growing," he intones.

Aside from the fact that the Department of Energy (DOE) puts the import figure at a more moderate 58 percent, Pickens gives the impression that imported oil is scary because it all comes from the unstable Mideast.

His TV commercials feature images of American soldiers fighting in Iraq and he likens the annual $700 billion cost of foreign oil to "four times the annual cost of the Iraq war."

But hold the phone. Only 16 percent of our imported oil comes from the Persian Gulf — barely up from 13.6 percent in 1973, according to the DOE. Imports from OPEC countries are actually down — from 47.8 percent in 1973 to 44.5 percent in 2007.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,390821,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Jim

Re: Is T. Boone Pickens 'Swiftboating' America?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:22:13 AM »
Why do people insist on gilding the lily ?

If we could actually use wind to free up natural gas that would be great.  I'm not so sure ai'm sold on that being true but I'll admit thats based more on annecdotal articles I've seen over the years rather than any more current studies.  The old line was that there were just too few places where wind was abundandt enough to matter at least in conjunction with the turbines available. 

While natural gas cars stink worse,  I have no problem switching the sorts of gas going in the tank.

You now you could make the case that Canada is kind of unstable as well.  They've taken to cutting heads off as well....     :evillaugh:
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
This thing is not well thought out and is really just Pickens latest scheme...IMHO...to get rich.

What's gonna happen when the Enviro-weenies start suing to prevent the farms from being built where the companies want to build them?

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »
This thing is not well thought out and is really just Pickens latest scheme...IMHO...to get rich.

What's gonna happen when the Enviro-weenies start suing to prevent the farms from being built where the companies want to build them?

and sue they will.  won't be the first time.

and count on property owners to pipe up ala Ted Kennedy's objections to the ones they wanted out off Marth's Vineyard.  there are only so many places that have wind enough to make it worth going.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 09:45:24 AM »

and sue they will.  won't be the first time.

and count on property owners to pipe up ala Ted Kennedy's objections to the ones they wanted out off Marth's Vineyard.  there are only so many places that have wind enough to make it worth going.

They won't get a change to object. That's already been taken care of.

Repeat after me: "Kelo"

Offline Donpeyote

• Schade's friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »
 He is a "Grey Hair Democrat" (Dixiecrat) slummin as a Republican since Reagan ...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »

This only makes sense when you factor in that T. Boone Pickens is a subscriber to the belief in the concept of the 'oil plateau', that is he believes that the amount of oil production possible  peaked sometime in the early 1980s.  Yes, this is a plan to put more money into T. Boone Pickens' pocket, but as someone who's made his career providing ENERGY to America, he's being entrirely consistent.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »

If we could actually use wind to free up natural gas that would be great.  I'm not so sure ai'm sold on that being true but I'll admit thats based more on annecdotal articles I've seen over the years rather than any more current studies.  The old line was that there were just too few places where wind was abundandt enough to matter at least in conjunction with the turbines available. 

While natural gas cars stink worse,  I have no problem switching the sorts of gas going in the tank.

You now you could make the case that Canada is kind of unstable as well.  They've taken to cutting heads off as well....     :evillaugh:

Imagine that a private individual willing to put his money where his mouth is instead of demanding the govt do it for him. He may take a bath financially or he may add to the billions he already has.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 12:49:42 PM »

Imagine that a private individual willing to put his money where his mouth is instead of demanding the govt do it for him. He may take a bath financially or he may add to the billions he already has.

If he's planning on making the farms (or him and other guys like him) then whats stopping him from doing it without the fanfare and why does he say he needs my help on his TV commercials ?

Offline Donpeyote

• Schade's friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »

If he's planning on making the farms (or him and other guys like him) then whats stopping him from doing it without the fanfare and why does he say he needs my help on his TV commercials ?
hE WANTS TO BE LIKE aLGORE

Offline Jim

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:27:45 PM »

hE WANTS TO BE LIKE aLGORE

chubby, slimy hair and a natural sleep aid ?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »
magine that a private individual willing to put his money where his mouth is instead of demanding the govt do it for him. He may take a bath financially or he may add to the billions he already has.

He's not gonna put HIS money where his mouth is...he's planning on taking money form the states to finance this boondoggle AND make even more millions because of his investments in drilling for Natural Gas.

Wittness this letter:

uly 9, 2008

Elizabeth Hill
California Legislative Analyst
925 I Street, Room 1000
Sacramento, CA 95814

RE: Proposition 10, California Renewable Energy and Clean Alternative Fuel Act. $5 billion state bond funding

Dear Ms. Hill,

As you analyze the fiscal impact of and develop ballot analysis for Proposition 10, we write to point out that measure will use taxpayer funds to benefit a specific technology and specific industry: compressed natural gas for motor fuel and producers of such fuel, specifically the measure’s fiscal sponsor, T. Boone Pickens.

The measure would in effect transfer California taxpayer funds to the vanity project of a Texas billionaire and intentionally distort natural markets for “clean” vehicles. It would disfavor hybrids and plug-in hybrids, and exclude most biofuels. The measure’s unstated but clear goal for the bulk of the taxpayer-paid bond funding is to artificially create a market for natural gas-fueled vehicles to the exclusion of other technology

http://www.oilwatchdog.org/articles/?storyId=21285

Offline Jim

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »
magine that a private individual willing to put his money where his mouth is instead of demanding the govt do it for him. He may take a bath financially or he may add to the billions he already has.

He's not gonna put HIS money where his mouth is...he's planning on taking money form the states to finance this boondoggle AND make even more millions because of his investments in drilling for Natural Gas.

Wittness this letter:

uly 9, 2008

Elizabeth Hill
California Legislative Analyst
925 I Street, Room 1000
Sacramento, CA 95814

RE: Proposition 10, California Renewable Energy and Clean Alternative Fuel Act. $5 billion state bond funding

Dear Ms. Hill,

As you analyze the fiscal impact of and develop ballot analysis for Proposition 10, we write to point out that measure will use taxpayer funds to benefit a specific technology and specific industry: compressed natural gas for motor fuel and producers of such fuel, specifically the measure’s fiscal sponsor, T. Boone Pickens.

The measure would in effect transfer California taxpayer funds to the vanity project of a Texas billionaire and intentionally distort natural markets for “clean” vehicles. It would disfavor hybrids and plug-in hybrids, and exclude most biofuels. The measure’s unstated but clear goal for the bulk of the taxpayer-paid bond funding is to artificially create a market for natural gas-fueled vehicles to the exclusion of other technology

http://www.oilwatchdog.org/articles/?storyId=21285

Absent a source of electricity for plug ins and...
Absent a solution for highway use hybrids and...
Absent a REAL bio-fuel alternative (ethanol etc aint gonna do it for the same reason cows need more acreage than chickens)...

I have no problems with Natural Gas as a replacement for gas gas.  We're close to having a distribution mechinism and we already have vehicles running on the stuff.

But I'd rather the govt stayed out of it.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 03:03:57 PM »

But I'd rather the govt stayed out of it.

You and me both.  The markets will work everytime on this stuff.

But because jsut about everyone is buying into the false boogeyman of "man made global warming"...there's this rush to put the cart before the horse and force people to buy "alternative energy" vehicles that are too expensive and not yet practical and all of this BEFORE there is an infrastructure to support it.

You can be driving down State Highway 27 South of Enterprise Alabama and find at least 3 gas stations.

You can NOT find three recharging stations or three CNG stations.

You'd be lucky to find that many in the entire state.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 06:16:53 PM »
I was listening to Laura Ingraham the other day and she had T. Boone Pickens on. Obama calls him "Boone Pickens" for some reason. Anyway, he said we should do everything to get off foreign oil. Wind, Solar, Renewable(whatever that means), as well as drill for more oil domestically. Sounds good to me.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »
I've been hearing since I was in elementary school in the 70's about the advantages of solar and thermal and wind...but in the last 30 years nothing has been done to make them affordable to everyone.

They are still novelty ideas that only the rich can afford because there hasn't...despite the billions of dollars already tossed at them...become affordable enough for average Americans to afford.

Now Pickens wants us to believe that if we throw more trillions of dollars down the hole on his "plan" everything will be all right?

Sorry...I ain't drinking the kool-aid

Offline Donpeyote

• Schade's friend
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:38:26 PM »
 The Solar System at my Mountain home has served me well for almost 10 years (But  i'm halfway through a 24 volt system upgrade) :popcorn:

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 11:18:06 PM »
All we nned is a $2 billion gov't subsidy: http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,11486.0.html

:thatsright:
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »
I was listening to Laura Ingraham the other day and she had T. Boone Pickens on. Obama calls him "Boone Pickens" for some reason. Anyway, he said we should do everything to get off foreign oil. Wind, Solar, Renewable(whatever that means), as well as drill for more oil domestically. Sounds good to me.

Me too. If he is willing to put up most of the money, I don't see what the problem is. If these windmills flop, he loses a ton of money. If they succeed, he makes a ton. I would rather support tax breaks for this than the idiotcy of Ethanol production from a food source which uses almost as much energy as it produces, and pollutes the air big time in the mfg. process. 

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 12:12:20 AM »
I've been hearing since I was in elementary school in the 70's about the advantages of solar and thermal and wind...but in the last 30 years nothing has been done to make them affordable to everyone.

They are still novelty ideas that only the rich can afford because there hasn't...despite the billions of dollars already tossed at them...become affordable enough for average Americans to afford.

Now Pickens wants us to believe that if we throw more trillions of dollars down the hole on his "plan" everything will be all right?

Sorry...I ain't drinking the kool-aid

I happen to work in one of the most money rich areas of Houston (The Galleria area)

T. Boone needs to talk to Jim Bob Billy Bob in my parking lot who is driving a Hummer 3 and wax poetic.   Good Luck.   Them doods ain't EVER EVER EVER giving up their "comfort food" cars. nor ride mass transit.   Aint' gonna happen.