Author Topic: Oscar Wilde tells friend she's an idiot  (Read 1155 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Oscar Wilde tells friend she's an idiot
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3708590

Oh my.

The big-proboscised primitive, who hasn't been around a whole lot lately.

Cyrano  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-31-08 12:09 PM
Original message

Sometimes, it’s not a good idea to tell a friend she’s an idiot.

This came about due to rethug attacks on our congressman, Robert Wexler. A week or more ago, Bill O’Reilly got started on Wexler for owning a home in Maryland, but not in his home state of Florida. Other rethugs have picked up on it and have been on the attack ever since.

Wexler is about as liberal a Dem as you can find which is why O’Reilly and other lowlife have been attacking him. He’s joined Kucinich in calling for impeachment, he’s been on the right side of as many issues as a liberal could hope for, and he actually responds to constituents who call his office with requests.

Unfortunately, too many voters here have bought into the “He should live here if he represents us” bullshit. He’s in the district at least once every two weeks and along with his wife and children, he stays at his in-law’s house which he uses as his Florida residence. (He’s now about to rent a place down here to quiet down the bitching.)

My friend, who’s a liberal, bought into this attack on Wexler and it became an issue with her, her friends, and countless others in the area. It took me a while to figure out what they were really pissed about. Wexler has been a strong Obama campaigner, and my friend (and her friends) were/are all Hillary people. (Others are complaining that he's trying to "escape paying Florida taxes.")

She’s brought up the Wexler issue time and again, and the last time she did it, I lost it. I told her she was a ****ing idiot and to go ahead and vote for the rethug challenger if that was the way she felt.

She’s pissed off at me right now (and fortunately doesn’t read DU). We’ll probably be talking again by next week, but nonetheless, I’ve had it with liberals who are stupid enough to let themselves be scammed by wingnut propaganda and/or who just won’t let go of Hillary.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-31-08 12:18 PM
Response to Original message

1. I remind them that their addlepated vote for McCombover would undo 40 years of progress for women, including continuing the asinine GOP war against contraception. I ask them if their heroine worship is important enough to deny their daughters protection against bearing multiple unwanted children, ruining their health, and eventually shortening their lives. I ask them why they hate the rest of us so much that they'd throw themselves into slavery just to make some stupid point about not getting their way.

Usually when I finish they're speechless. Then if they don't bring up the subject, I don't. Nobody has.

I have to think that most of them will come to their senses by November. The ones who don't need their screws tightened, but that aint my job.

cobalt1999  (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-31-08 12:18 PM

2. Is there ever a good time to tell a friend they are an idiot?

Seems to cross the line, or if they really are idiots, why be friends with them?

Well, actually Oscar Wilde himself is an idiot.

Remember, it was Oscar Wilde who shut up his cat in the bedroom without access to sanitary facilities, and the poor little cat was forced to take a leak on Oscar Wilde, pissing Oscar Wilde off.

enlightenment  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-31-08 12:31 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. I agree. Not sure I'd want to be your friend . . .

you insult her as a friend by calling her an idiot. You insult her as a liberal, by suggesting that because she doesn't agree with you (or because she's having issues with the situation) she will vote for the Republican candidate.

Did she say she was going to vote for the Republican? Or did you just leap to that conclusion because she wasn't marching in lock-step with you on that issue?

You have a temper tantrum and hurt a friend. Way to go.

Cyrano  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-31-08 12:50 PM
Response to Reply #4

9. This has been a very ugly campaign season.

I believe many friends have blown up at each other over one political issue or another this year and that this will continue to happen right up until the election.

From my point of view, we need to win not only the presidency, but also a veto-proof house and senate. I tend to get upset and impatient with those whom I know are liberals, yet find ways to put down our own candidates.

And if I lose any shot I might have at sainthood because I lost it with a friend, so be it.

Yeah, I wonder why it was an ugly, Hate-filled campaign season.

I wonder who's more to blame, the Obamaites or the supporters of the worthier Democrat candidate?

C_U_L8R  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-31-08 12:18 PM

3. I don't know about your friend, but Wexler rocks!!

That man is damn impressive and that is exactly why the rightwing ugly machine is up in arms.

They know a threat when they see it and their first instinct is to reach for the slime.

I'm sure from what we've seen of Mr Wexler's courage, that he relishes this opportunity to take these creeps on.

RedLetterRev  Donating Member  (219 posts) Thu Jul-31-08 12:49 PM

8. Or perhaps   

"DuuUUUHHHhhhh!! There ARE no state income taxes in Florida!"

That usually stops the tax-evasion issue crap. Lots of people also have second homes close to out-of-home-state jobs, it's not like Wexler is setting any trends.

Some people need to have two brain cells in the same orbit before stepping out the door in the morning. Unfortunately, the sweet siren-song of the M$M has become too easy and often too subtle to just brush aside. I had my own rant about that in GD this morning (sigh).

Hope things patch up with your friend.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Oscar Wilde tells friend she's an idiot
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:13:02 PM »
In Pennsylvania people (democrats) were throwing HUGE hissy fits on TV, radio, in the newspapers, and online.  Why you ask?  Because former Senator Rick Santorum lived in D.C. with his family during session and only came back to PA when it was over.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:11:28 PM »
I believe that living in ones congressional district is required by law.......Wexler "could" lose his seat if he does not maintain a permanent residence in his district........or do the rules apply to everyone else but a "liberal"....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:19:54 PM »
Funny...I haven't blown up with friends over this 'ugly campaign season' and many, if not most, are left-leaning.

BTW, what 'Florida taxes' are Cyrano's friends speaking of. Unless something has changed they have not state or local income tax and he'd pay sales tax as a consumer in that state when he visits. Still, I happen agree that congresspeeps should live the MAJORITY of their time in the area they represent. How on earth can they speak for a constituency if they don't even live in the community? As I preview this I see TVDOC has mentioned it is a legal requirement to do so. It's a good law...too bad congress people get away with barely meeting it by giving out an obscure relative that they visit a couple times a year's address. :thatsright:

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:50:19 PM »
Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-31-08 12:18 PM

1. I remind them that their addlepated vote for McCombover would undo 40 years of progress for women, including continuing the asinine GOP war against contraception. I ask them if their heroine worship is important enough to deny their daughters protection against bearing multiple unwanted children, ruining their health, and eventually shortening their lives. I ask them why they hate the rest of us so much that they'd throw themselves into slavery just to make some stupid point about not getting their way.

Usually when I finish they're speechless. Then if they don't bring up the subject, I don't. Nobody has.

I have to think that most of them will come to their senses by November. The ones who don't need their screws tightened, but that aint my job.

You're right...if you said this to me I too would be speechless...not because of the profoundness of thought, but the profound stupidity of your diatribe. Firstly, the president of the United States would NOT take away birth control even IF he had it within his power to do so. Birth control is the responsible choice for many married couples who want to choose when to start a family or have another child. Condoms, used properly, can help prevent the spread of disease. Oh, I know what you're thinking...the pro-life folks who would like to see Roe overturned might hatch some nefarious plot to limit your 15 year old to a mere 5 abortions. Again, other than doing things like banning partial birth abortion the president CANNOT "make a law" against Roe. Even if Roe WAS overturned it would just send the issue back to the states. Here in OR we'd probably put a sign at the border..."Welcome women saddled with an unwanted fetus...follow I-5 to Portland's Lovejoy Clinic".

Of course, there IS always adoption even IF those evil Republicans manage to make you do the responsible thing and let the life you created make it out of your womb alive. Rest assured, neither you nor Obama would have  to worry about your daughters "ruining" their lives by keeping it. It just boggles my mind that the same people who fly into a rage over an endangered sucker fish can also fly into a rage when someone proposes protecting a helpless unborn human.

If your daughter has so little self control that she has multiple abortions because she's using that as a birth control method then I suggest you keep a much closer eye on her until she has the maturity to use birth control BEFORE having sex. Heck, Planned Parenthood dispenses birth control pills like candy to any teenager that visits. Were MY daughter running around having unprotected sex often enough that she had either multiple abortions or multiple children, I'd be more concerned with her getting a disease that surely would cut her life short.

Besides, I've never been a slave...even when I was a SAHM. Melodrama and hyperbole do little to promote your cause. We've had a Republican president for nearly 8 years and a Republican senate for much of that time. I may be relatively sheltered out here on the farm with my chickens but the only "right" I've lost is the one that allows me to stab a healthy baby in the head and suck him out of my womb. As you folks are so fond of saying, I wasn't using that "right" anyway. Call me old fashioned, but I don't feel doomed to slavery because I can't stab a baby in the head.

Personally, I think your argument sounds about as intelligent as that of the renowned feminist philosopher, Cameron Diaz who said, "We have a voice now, and we're not using it, and women have so much to lose. I mean, we could lose the right to our bodies. We could lo--if you think that rape should be legal, then don't vote..." Rock on sister!

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »
Wexler must have a residence within his district, it is indeed the law. That does not mean a basement bed in Mommy and Daddy's SENIOR COMMUNITY home.
I hear that now as he's been exposed, he's looking for an apartment there, where having the kids will not be a violation of the communiuty by-laws.

As for Wexler being "right", I must have missed that vote. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 04:59:30 PM »
Another H5, Cindie . . . it seems that I can make up a schedule of H5ing you.   :cheersmate:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.