Author Topic: Pedro Picasso buys gas in Massachusetts; deprives home state of revenue  (Read 780 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3685676

Oh my.

CatWoman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:18 PM
Original message

I filled up my tank today. Gas has dropped at least $.15 a gallon.

and the wingnuts howl it is all due to George Bush's "genius"

what say you?

yourout  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:19 PM
Response to Original message

1. Diesel went up..anyone know why?

CatWoman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:21 PM
Response to Reply #1

4. you have a definite point there

I noticed that too.

This means prices on other goods will go up even more....

27inCali  (239 posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:29 PM
Response to Reply #1

15. market manipulation to try and get the low-info tards to back offshore drilling.

NightWatcher  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:20 PM

2. call me when it's at 1$. We are being programmed to love 3.99$ gas when we should riot against it raise it to 4.50 then lower it to 4 and we'll celebrate

sparosnare  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:20 PM

3. LOL - a coworker told me that the other day.

He said that because Bush has threatened to drill offshore, OPEC got scared and lower prices. I then said if that strategy works, why not hold a press conference and announce we've discovered oil on the moon? He didn't have a response.

Angleae  (216 posts) Sun Jul-27-08 05:46 PM
Response to Reply #3

24. It doesn't work that way

OPEC doesn't set prices, the commodity/mercantile markets do and the traders know Bush doesn't have the authority to authorize drilling without congressional approval.

Captain Angry  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:21 PM

5. Reduced demand as people find other ways to avoid buying gas.

Speculators took a little of their money elsewhere.

July 4th driving season has passed.

Hurricane season is about two months old with no massively damaging storms.

Etc.

salin  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:21 PM

6. fear

fear that the backlash was getting too high to counteract by pure propoganda and flipping voting machines and playing block the voter at selected polling places. Guess the oilymen thought that if they can fight the exact right price point where they still maximize their gouging, but without keeping the backlash quite so high as to be insurmountble, that they'd have a better shot at getting McSame to follow Bushjr in the white house.

Then again, maybe its because the price per barrell dropped last week.

Democrats_win  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:23 PM

7. Let me know when it goes down $3 to $1.85, which is merely an outrageous price.

DinahMoeHum  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:24 PM

9. It means the oil and gas markets are volatile. Nothing new about it.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Atman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:24 PM

10. I drive to Massachusetts to buy gas. Sure, another state gets my tax $$...**** 'em.

I live in CT. I recently moved from the Hartford area -- about 35 miles from the Massachusetts border -- to a place in the country, barely 24 miles from the border. My Santa Fe gets 26 mpg on the country roads. I have a weekend place on the MA/CT border, and I can last a little over a week on a tank of gas, so I wait for the weekend. Then I run up to MA (putting in 1 gallon in CT if I need it to get there) and fill up for $3.78 (this week). Gas is still $4.30 or more near my house in CT. Considering my 20-gallon tank, I'm saving almost over $10 on a tank...which is two-and-a-half gallons of gas.

There is NO EXCUSE, not even taxes, for a 52-cent difference just by crossing an imaginary line in the sand. We've always been told it's because CT has higher gas taxes, but when gas was at it's highest, MA/CT prices were virtually identical. Now that they're falling, they only seem to be doing so in MA -- CT prices haven't budged more than a few cents. Something ain't right.

Hmmm.

You know, states are starting to collect cigarette taxes from their residents who buy cigarettes out of state.

I don't like it, I'm not in favor of it, but it's happening, and nothing can be done about it.

Perhaps Connecticut should look into collecting gasoline taxes from its residents purchasing gasoline in non-
Connecticut states.

Texas Explorer  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:24 PM

11. Following the same pattern it did in the summer of '06...

Prices were through the roof up until around August and then they started going down and went way down until the election. The pigs lost and it's right back up. Now, coming onto August, just like clockwork, the prices are beginning to decline and they credit bush and lower demand. First, bush hasn't done a *******ed thing about lowering the prices and, second, lower demand is highly questionable and some sources say demand it actually continuing to climb by at least 1.5%YOY.

Ezlivin  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:25 PM

12. Must be that cheap ANWR gasoline you're getting

Here in Texas we're getting that cheap coastal drilling gasoline.

Thank the gods that the Republicans got that oil flowing from those sources, eh?

Ichingcarpenter  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:27 PM

14. Ask the attendant how often does the gas station fill their storage tanks?

There's something that doesn't correlate between the price of the gas the station purchased from one week to the next in correlation to oil futures and inventory.

Atman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:33 PM
Response to Reply #14

16. No, there is a direct correlation:

It's called "opportunism." Or "Price gouging" in less polite circles.

Hmmm.

You mean if the artist Pedro Picasso had a terra-cotta bust of Barry "Goldwater" Obama holding a swan, on sale for $10, and some goof offered him $15 for it, Pedro Picasso would still charge only $10?

book_worm  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 04:46 PM

19. My response is that it was about 1.49 per gallon when Clinton left and now it's almost $4 bucks a gallon (is in some places) and a ten, tweny or thirty cents per gallon drops here and there doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Midlodemocrat  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-27-08 05:22 PM

22. I filled up Friday for $3.59 a gallon. $.60 less than previously.

I don't drive a lot because I work from home, so a tank will last me from 2-3 weeks.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
CatWoman

.......... and the wingnuts howl it is all due to George Bush's "genius"

Anybody heard anyone crowing that lower gas prices are due to Bush?  I haven't.  I see the racist feline primitive is still making up her lies as she goes along.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.