Author Topic: How did you protect against the 'creepies' as a kid?  (Read 11812 times)

Offline jtyangel

Re: How did you protect against the 'creepies' as a kid?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 11:54:41 PM »
Our house was never pitch dark and I shared a bed with my younger brother, so I was never alone.  I just don't remember being scared.   I use to get a little creeped out when I was a teenager and my family would go out of town.  Being alone was always a time for an active imagination. 

There was the time I was home alone and our ancient family heirloom grandfather clock "walked" away from the wall.  I never did like that clock.  My dad left it to me and now it is in my living room. 

I should also mention when I was a teen and had a room of my own, the scuttle hole to the area below the house was in my closet.  That bugged me.  No particular reason.  It just did.   

When I was a kid, my friends had houses that had those little cubby hole closets. I hated those damn things.

One night I was home alone and snooping into stuff I didn't have any business snooping in.  I found an old silverware chest in my mother's closet.  Inside, I found a large manila envelope and opened it.  There was a photograph inside.  It was a closeup photo of my cousin in his casket.  He had died at the age of 11 in a 4th of July boating accident about 12 years before I was born. 

I threw the damn thing across the room, ran out of my parent's bedroom and shut the door.  I was never the same after that.  I had accidentally stumbled across mortality that night.  I didn't like it.  I didn't like dead people either.

I went back in the room the next morning, in the safe light of day, and put everything back where it belonged. 

*shudder*

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 11:55:47 PM »
Our house was never pitch dark and I shared a bed with my younger brother, so I was never alone.  I just don't remember being scared.   I use to get a little creeped out when I was a teenager and my family would go out of town.  Being alone was always a time for an active imagination. 

There was the time I was home alone and our ancient family heirloom grandfather clock "walked" away from the wall.  I never did like that clock.  My dad left it to me and now it is in my living room. 

I should also mention when I was a teen and had a room of my own, the scuttle hole to the area below the house was in my closet.  That bugged me.  No particular reason.  It just did.   

When I was a kid, my friends had houses that had those little cubby hole closets. I hated those damn things.

One night I was home alone and snooping into stuff I didn't have any business snooping in.  I found an old silverware chest in my mother's closet.  Inside, I found a large manila envelope and opened it.  There was a photograph inside.  It was a closeup photo of my cousin in his casket.  He had died at the age of 11 in a 4th of July boating accident about 12 years before I was born. 

I threw the damn thing across the room, ran out of my parent's bedroom and shut the door.  I was never the same after that.  I had accidentally stumbled across mortality that night.  I didn't like it.  I didn't like dead people either.

I went back in the room the next morning, in the safe light of day, and put everything back where it belonged. 

oh thats creepy! why do people take those pictures??

when my first husband passed away, my uncle took pictures of the entire funeral. i had no real memories of what all that looked like until my step mom gave me the pictures... i was sitting there thinking, "who does this???"

My sil just did at my bil's funeral. The rest of the clan was none to happy with her wanting everyone to pose with the casket. blah

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 12:04:04 AM »

when my first husband passed away, my uncle took pictures of the entire funeral. i had no real memories of what all that looked like until my step mom gave me the pictures... i was sitting there thinking, "who does this???"

I've been to a couple of funeral that were video taped.  Now what the hell?? 

I guess there could be reasons to photograph/video a funeral.  Maybe someone couldn't make it who really wanted to be there.  Maybe some find peace in the finality of it all.  I don't know.  I just can't imagine poppin' up some popcorn and sitting down to enjoy Aunt Dolly's funeral.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 12:04:55 AM »
OK, there are rules.

If you watched the original Outer Limits you knew -- KNEW -- the aliens would be coming to get you.  Since I am here, these strategies clearly worked:

• Pretend you are dead.  The aliens don't want dead people, so they will pass you over for some live kid.
  • Put tacks all around your bed.  Aliens are always barefoot so this will make them go away (interestingly, this also works against older brothers).
  • No matter what happens, do NOT open your eyes.  This clearly will mess up the attempt in #1

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 12:09:10 AM »

I guess there could be reasons to photograph/video a funeral.  Maybe someone couldn't make it who really wanted to be there.  Maybe some find peace in the finality of it all.  I don't know.  I just can't imagine poppin' up some popcorn and sitting down to enjoy Aunt Dolly's funeral.

When my Grandma died my Uncle took some photos.  Not with us each next to the casket or anything.  My Grandma had has a daughter before she was married to my Grandpa and was put up for adoption.  Back in like 1985 there was a reunion.  My aunt (the daughter) ended up alienating the entire family, except this one uncle, in the last 3-5 years of my Grandma's life.  She didn't ask nor would she have been welcomed to the funeral, she put my Grandma through so much grief.  The uncle took the pictures for her.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »
Ever since I ave seen Jaws,the only time I have been in water deeper then my ankles outside of a tub or pool was when the military said I had to be in it. Things with big teeth in water are bad.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Lauri

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:02 AM »

My sil just did at my bil's funeral. The rest of the clan was none to happy with her wanting everyone to pose with the casket. blah

posing with the casket...???   

Offline Lauri

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 12:13:06 AM »

oh man..  :-)  thats just bizarre... only in the south..

Offline Lauri

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 12:13:51 AM »
Ever since I ave seen Jaws,the only time I have been in water deeper then my ankles outside of a tub or pool was when the military said I had to be in it. Things with big teeth in water are bad.

yeah, i will admire the ocean from the sand.. even if its burning hot.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 12:15:50 AM »
About the whole taking pictures of dead people, that was a practice in the 19th century.  For some reason people took pictures of their kids when they died. :(

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 12:17:57 AM »

When my Grandma died my Uncle took some photos.  Not with us each next to the casket or anything.  My Grandma had has a daughter before she was married to my Grandpa and was put up for adoption.  Back in like 1985 there was a reunion.  My aunt (the daughter) ended up alienating the entire family, except this one uncle, in the last 3-5 years of my Grandma's life.  She didn't ask nor would she have been welcomed to the funeral, she put my Grandma through so much grief.  The uncle took the pictures for her.

I remember my S-I-L's funeral back in 1974.  The Secret Service arrived during the service.  At the end they ushered all the living people out of the chapel.  From the antiroom, all we could hear was the clicking of cameras.  When the chapel doors opened, the SS was gone and the casket was wheeled out to the hearse like everything was normal.  

There's a story there, but I'm too tired to tell it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 12:19:10 AM »

I love oceans and lakes.  I spend a lot of vacation time at Mexican coastal resorts and will be retiring to one.

But I like to be OVER the water.  Not IN it.  I don't like the feel of water in or against my face.  I "swam" with the Manitees in FLA but didn't really enjoy it, since I couldn't breathe.  And my snorkeling in Hawaii, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Vera Cruz, etc. have never been fun -- think a water version of Chevy Chase's Grand Canyon moment in NL Vacation.

Now, I just look and enjoy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 12:19:29 AM »
About the whole taking pictures of dead people, that was a practice in the 19th century.  For some reason people took pictures of their kids when they died. :(

I know why they did that.  Photography was rare and expensive. Those death photos were usually the only ones every taken of the child.  

Offline SilverOrchid

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 12:24:27 AM »

I love oceans and lakes.  I spend a lot of vacation time at Mexican coastal resorts and will be retiring to one.

But I like to be OVER the water.  Not IN it.  I don't like the feel of water in or against my face.  I "swam" with the Manitees in FLA but didn't really enjoy it, since I couldn't breathe.  And my snorkeling in Hawaii, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Vera Cruz, etc. have never been fun -- think a water version of Chevy Chase's Grand Canyon moment in NL Vacation.

My hubby has a fear of the open ocean and almost every kind of body of water.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »

My hubby has a fear of the open ocean and almost every kind of body of water.

Understandable.  I have terrible acrophobia -- and I have felt it when I have been in deep water. 

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 12:36:42 AM »

I have to say this is one of the strangest things I've seen:

When I was 18 my dad's girlfriend had a daughter that was 17.  She was pregnant and it turned out has a weak cervix and went into labor at only 6 months along.  The girl died shortly after birth.  I went to the funeral and it was very sad.  But then the next time I went there, they had a picture of the dead baby in a frame prominently displayed.  It was strange, especially at that far along baby's skin is so fragile that they bruise easily and she was all dark red and purple. 

Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline SilverOrchid

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 12:44:15 AM »

When I was 18 my dad's girlfriend had a daughter that was 17.  She was pregnant and it turned out has a weak cervix and went into labor at only 6 months along.  The girl died shortly after birth.  I went to the funeral and it was very sad.  But then the next time I went there, they had a picture of the dead baby in a frame prominently displayed.  It was strange, especially at that far along baby's skin is so fragile that they bruise easily and she was all dark red and purple. 

That's horrible and very sad! :( But I guess people mourn in different ways, I remember watching "Flight 93" and a girl who was killed (I think she was college aged) what they could find of her they made into jewelry.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 12:51:10 AM »

That's horrible and very sad! :( But I guess people mourn in different ways, I remember watching "Flight 93" and a girl who was killed (I think she was college aged) what they could find of her they made into jewelry.

It was sad, the little baby girl was teeny tiny and her casket was only 2 feet long.  People do mourn in different ways, but it was still a little strange. 
Stink Eye

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 06:08:29 AM »
OK, there are rules.

If you watched the original Outer Limits you knew -- KNEW -- the aliens would be coming to get you.  Since I am here, these strategies clearly worked:

• Pretend you are dead.  The aliens don't want dead people, so they will pass you over for some live kid.
  • Put tacks all around your bed.  Aliens are always barefoot so this will make them go away (interestingly, this also works against older brothers).
  • No matter what happens, do NOT open your eyes.  This clearly will mess up the attempt in #1

:lmao:

Yep, I remember 'playing dead'. This also worked if you  heard a strange noise.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 06:10:21 AM »
OK, there are rules.

Did you ever consider what actual burglers thought about the rash of dead children they encountered?  It must have been horrifying for them.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 06:13:40 AM »
OK, there are rules.

Did you ever consider what actual burglers thought about the rash of dead children they encountered?  It must have been horrifying for them.

Undies, you know as children we thought we could fool both adults and aliens.  :-)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »
Pranks I have played on my kids...

The old standby favorite: The walkie talkie.

About 6 years ago. I put one in my daughters closet before bedtime and after she was tucked in started the growling. She came flying out of the bedroom yelling "Mom! Dad is hiding in my closet and..." and saw me walk in from the carport. Eye's the size of Canada on the child. Asked her why she was out of bed and sent her back in and told her she was being silly. :evillaugh:

Waited a few minutes and started growling again over the radio.  She came stalking down the hallway a few minutes later holding the radio up between two fingers like a dead fish and giving me the stinkeye.

I tried this on the man cub the other night, and he came out of his room laughing and holding up the walkie talkie and showing Mom what a good joke Dad had played on him.

Almost as much fun as the Headless Horseman prank and the infamous "Dad is a werewolf".

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »

About 6 years ago. I put one in my daughters closet before bedtime and after she was tucked in started the growling. She came flying out of the bedroom yelling "Mom! Dad is hiding in my closet and..." and saw me walk in from the carport. Eye's the size of Canada on the child. Asked her why she was out of bed and sent her back in and told her she was being silly. :evillaugh:

Waited a few minutes and started growling again over the radio.  She came stalking down the hallway a few minutes later holding the radio up between two fingers like a dead fish and giving me the stinkeye.

I tried this on the man cub the other night, and he came out of his room laughing and holding up the walkie talkie and showing Mom what a good joke Dad had played on him.

Almost as much fun as the Headless Horseman prank and the infamous "Dad is a werewolf".

I never scared my kids like that.  I just messed with their heads.  My famous Kid Pound - the place for bad selfish children no one wanted anymore - is one example.  Then there was things like swallowing too much toothpaste would cause their stomachs to to fall out of their poophole when they went to the bathroom.  Things like that.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 09:41:18 AM »

I never scared my kids like that.  I just messed with their heads.  My famous Kid Pound - the place for bad selfish children no one wanted anymore - is one example.  Then there was things like swallowing too much toothpaste would cause their stomachs to to fall out of their poophole when they went to the bathroom.  Things like that.

Y'all are mean. :lmao:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
When I was a kid, Jaws and The Exorcist were what scared the crap out of me. I still hate open water. I tried watching The Exorcist again as an adult and it's still too creepy. The banging and sound effects....YIKES!!!

I used to cover myself completely with my blankets. As long as no body part was sticking out, the "creepies" couldn't get you. Heaven forfend you needed to pee!  :bawl:

Another movie that got me was The Amityville Horror. I HATED that movie!! Creepy house! I still won't go into a house with those funky shaped windows.

My dad used to come down the hall in the dark saying "Fee Fi Fo Fum...." that would always get us. Then he would catch us and give us "pink belly" - that's where you get tickled til you scream. He also used to "take his thumb off" and for some reason, that really bothered my brother.  :lmao:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle