Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 12772 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 10:03:17 AM »

Excuse my "french", but that's fu*ked up.

My mom and dad make the traditional dinner. Stuffed bird, taters, ect... NOTHING out of a box. My mother's gravy is to die for. It's an almost black/brown color and nice and shiney with fat.    :drool:  My daughter always asks if Grandma is going to make "the" gravy.   :-)

It sure is.  I came from a "from scratch" family.  It makes me sad.  But, I stay sad on the inside, because his parents get so much joy from it.  They are both disabled, and they LOVE this kind of stuff.  I brought homemade cranberry chutney last year, and no one ate it.   :(   That's all right.  Somewhere in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I make my own holiday meal, for people to come eat.  And, they bring something.  We all split to-go boxes, and have something to eat on until the holidays. 

What's worse?  Christmas.  They make the screaming children wait until AFTER Christmas Dinner and Dessert to open presents.   :thatsright:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »
All I tasted were the peppercorns...... didn't like hat so much. And...... I wasn't lazy as I did ALL of the prep AND all of the cooking BY MYSELF, so.....  :bird:

and a BS in return!!  :tongue:

So cut back on the peppercorns, you dolt! Ever hear of "adjusting recipes to suit one's tastes?" It's a novel concept!   :hammer:

I'm sold on the brining - definitely helps the white meat stay moist - fiddling with oven temps is an iffy thing at best, so I'll let the salt do the work for me.   O-) 

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
So cut back on the peppercorns, you dolt! Ever hear of "adjusting recipes to suit one's tastes?" It's a novel concept!   :hammer:

I'm sold on the brining - definitely helps the white meat stay moist - fiddling with oven temps is an iffy thing at best, so I'll let the salt do the work for me.   O-) 

Well, duh, no , I NEVER thought of that....  ::)  [/sarcasm]

Seriously, I don't have the space to attempt that now. Up North, in MN, it was usually cold enough that I really didn't need to worry about fridge space. It's bad enough finding space for the turkey to begin with, let lone the 5 gallon bucket required for brining. (I don't "do" small turkeys cuz I likes leftovers!! )
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »
Well, duh, no , I NEVER thought of that....  ::)  [/sarcasm]

Seriously, I don't have the space to attempt that now. Up North, in MN, it was usually cold enough that I really didn't need to worry about fridge space. It's bad enough finding space for the turkey to begin with, let lone the 5 gallon bucket required for brining. (I don't "do" small turkeys cuz I likes leftovers!! )

I bought a plastic bin/washtub at Walmart for $3 that I use. Just put the bird in the brine, cover it up, and let it sit outdoors for 6 hours or so. Screw the "keep it refrigerated" crap. The bird will be fine in 40 degree weather.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »
I bought a plastic bin/washtub at Walmart for $3 that I use. Just put the bird in the brine, cover it up, and let it sit outdoors for 6 hours or so. Screw the "keep it refrigerated" crap. The bird will be fine in 40 degree weather.

40 degree weather in Texas?!?!?!?  YGBSM......... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 02:06:30 PM »
Stuffing!  :-)
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline cavegal

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
The plan is to have Turkey, stuffing mashed potatoes  and of course pie. I sometimes make a spinach casserole.  This casserole has bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream tomatoes and onions. it is a pain to make pricey too. Just depends on how I feel .

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »

What's worse?  Christmas.  They make the screaming children wait until AFTER Christmas Dinner and Dessert to open presents.   :thatsright:

Oh man- that's horrible! Is that Christmas night or eve? We grew up opening gifts at my grandparents after dinner on Christmas eve. We didn't scream, but boy, we sure were impatient. Grandma insisted on washing dishes (no dishwasher) and then taking a boatload of pics before we could dive into the presents. Santa left big gifts on the front porch.  He liked us so much, he made special deliveries before everyone else got them on Christmas morning. It helped that my brother informed me there was no Santa when I was in kindergarten. We played along for me younger sister though.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »

Then dump some ice cubes in the damn thing, ya goof!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
It sure is.  I came from a "from scratch" family.  It makes me sad.  But, I stay sad on the inside, because his parents get so much joy from it.  They are both disabled, and they LOVE this kind of stuff.  I brought homemade cranberry chutney last year, and no one ate it.   :(   That's all right.  Somewhere in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I make my own holiday meal, for people to come eat.  And, they bring something.  We all split to-go boxes, and have something to eat on until the holidays. 

What's worse?  Christmas.  They make the screaming children wait until AFTER Christmas Dinner and Dessert to open presents.   :thatsright:

They need to be beheaded. At least my wife's family will do the Christmas eve thing. Open presents in the evening and then have sandwiches, cold cuts and chili. Strange, but I kinda liked it. (they are full blood Germans, WTF?)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »
Nobody in my family likes dark meat, so we buy a couple of turkey breasts (not that rolled crap though).  My brother has fried those the last few years.  

Our menu:

turkey
cornbread dressing
green beans
cranberry salad + cranberry sauce straight out of the can for me
mashed potatoes
watergate salad
pumpkin pie
pecan pie

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »
They need to be beheaded. At least my wife's family will do the Christmas eve thing. Open presents in the evening and then have sandwiches, cold cuts and chili. Strange, but I kinda liked it. (they are full blood Germans, WTF?)

BF and his sister grew up with the tradition of going to church, then breakfast, then home for unwrapping.  Sister's husband is Nicaraguan, so they do a family thing on Christmas Eve, at his mom's, after Midnight.  Then they go home, sleep for a few hours, get up the next day and start cooking.  Dinner is typically at 2:30 or 3:00, and unwrapping starts at about 4-5 or so. 

My Mom had a rule that she had to have her first cup of coffee, and cigarette first.  The very first thing my brother and I learned to do in the kitchen was brew coffee.   :whatever:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline cavegal

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 04:15:52 PM »
Nobody in my family likes dark meat, so we buy a couple of turkey breasts (not that rolled crap though).  My brother has fried those the last few years.  

Our menu:

turkey
cornbread dressing
green beans
cranberry salad + cranberry sauce straight out of the can for me
mashed potatoes
watergate salad
pumpkin pie
pecan pie

watergate salad
What is that? You eavesdrop on your political enemies?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »
BF and his sister grew up with the tradition of going to church, then breakfast, then home for unwrapping.  Sister's husband is Nicaraguan, so they do a family thing on Christmas Eve, at his mom's, after Midnight.  Then they go home, sleep for a few hours, get up the next day and start cooking.  Dinner is typically at 2:30 or 3:00, and unwrapping starts at about 4-5 or so. 

My Mom had a rule that she had to have her first cup of coffee, and cigarette first.  The very first thing my brother and I learned to do in the kitchen was brew coffee.   :whatever:

Ummmm, magic dust?

:-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »

Ummmm, magic dust?

:-)

One would think, but nope.  Everyone in the family is either super duper Baptist, or Pentacostal. 

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 06:05:17 PM »
What is that? You eavesdrop on your political enemies?

Haaaa!!  Not sure if it was named after the Watergate hotel, Nixon favorite, or something else entirely.
Oh my gosh- it's so good! I'm not normally one for 70s style jello salads, but this one is different. It has the following:

dry pistachio pudding
cool whip
pecans
pineapple
we sub sour cream for part of the cool whip to cut the sweet.
Make it the day before so the flavors have time to develop.

If you want to make it, let me know. I'll send you the recipe I use.  This is what it looks like:

http://images.media-allrecipes.com//site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/207646.jpg

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I have to go to the boyfriend's family.   The menu goes as follows:

Overcooked turkey, too late for everything else
Canned Yams with stupid marshmallows
Instant Mashed Potatoes
Cornbread Dressing from a box
Green Bean Casserole, you know the drill
Canned Cranberry Sauce
Celery sticks stuffed with cream cheese

Pies
Store bought crust filled with canned fillings.

No booze.

(I pack a flask of vodka and wear a hoodie to hide it in my pocket.)

Everyone is a yeller, cept for boyfriend, and there are children.  Screaming children. 
That sounds like dinner at my dad's with his wife.  You have my condolences.

I'll be going there for Christmas :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »

Well, come late December or January...
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »
Well, come late December or January...

Of course AFTER the Holidays.......  I can only remember ONE White Christmas in Texas and that was Christmas of 75. I was coming home from Millington, TN on Christmas leave. Got home to about 8" of snow on the ground. House looked like a Christmas Card....

Offline Chris_

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 06:23:19 PM »
I have a simple recipe for mashed sweet potato that isn't as horribly sweet as some of the others I've been served.  Good luck finding boniato (bon-yah-tow) if you don't live near some overpriced liberal hellhole like I do.

sweet potatoes
boniato (about half as much boniato to sweet potato)
cinnamon and brown sugar, salt and pepper

Also, I like roasted parsnips and onions.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »
Of course AFTER the Holidays.......  I can only remember ONE White Christmas in Texas and that was Christmas of 75. I was coming home from Millington, TN on Christmas leave. Got home to about 8" of snow on the ground. House looked like a Christmas Card....

What about last year???

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »
That sounds like dinner at my dad's with his wife.  You have my condolences.

I'll be going there for Christmas :rofl:

Thanks Chris.  You feel my pain.  It so sucks.  I like all these people well enough, but holy hell in a handbasket!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 07:52:43 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what my company's holiday policy is for Christmas.  I either have a 4-day weekend, or I'm stranded from Christmas Eve until after New Year's.  If the latter is the case, I'll take a trip to North Carolina to visit my dad and I'll be happy to do the cooking.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what my company's holiday policy is for Christmas.  I either have a 4-day weekend, or I'm stranded from Christmas Eve until after New Year's.  If the latter is the case, I'll take a trip to North Carolina to visit my dad and I'll be happy to do the cooking.

The cooking wouldn't bother me so much, if that was all I had to deal with.  The screaming children push me over the edge. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »
I might have to deal with that.  There's my step-mother's might-be-gay-but-nobody-can-tell daughter or the wife's grand-daughter from another marriage they adopted that has two mentally retarded parents and serious behavior issues.  But I miss my dad and I'll willingly put up with all that crap to see him again. :(