Author Topic: Chicago mayor pulls out of roundtable to avoid being on same stage with Minneapo  (Read 644 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Chicago mayor pulls out of roundtable to avoid being on same stage with Minneapolis mayor, sources say
https://news.yahoo.com/chicago-mayor-pulls-roundtable-avoid-004900668.html

CHICAGO — Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot pulled out of a virtual roundtable hosted by Crain’s Chicago Business to avoid appearing on the same digital stage as Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, who has been a lightning rod for criticism after the police killing of George Floyd, sources told The Chicago Tribune.

Lightfoot had been scheduled to join political consultant David Axelrod “and the mayors of two Midwest cities on Wednesday to discuss how COVID-19 and recent civil unrest will define the future of our nation’s cities,” according to a since-deleted Crain’s Facebook post.

But Lightfoot abruptly withdrew from the event earlier this week, and sources with knowledge of the situation said the mayor’s team told Crain’s her cancellation was to avoid being on a virtual stage with Frey.

The left have increasingly turned on each other.

Frey has opposed calls to abolish police but promised changes to the department and created a task force to look into the issue.

Chicago is the biggest city in the United States not to endorse some form of defunding police.

It’s not clear why Lightfoot wouldn’t want to share the stage with Frey.

Lightfoot has a long, complicated history in the local police reform movement. She’s a former federal prosecutor who headed the board that oversees police discipline and chaired the Police Accountability Task Force formed by former Mayor Rahm Emanuel. But she is often criticized by activists as being pro-police.

The Jacobins have accused her of being pro-police.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Chicago mayor pulls out of roundtable to avoid being on same stage with Minneapolis mayor, sources say
https://news.yahoo.com/chicago-mayor-pulls-roundtable-avoid-004900668.html

The left have increasingly turned on each other.

The Jacobins have accused her of being pro-police.

Even though I don't live there anymore, still follow the city I once adored.  Baby Yoda Lightweight has been a little surprising with support of police at times.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender