Author Topic: Animal Totems/Guides  (Read 1339 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Animal Totems/Guides
« on: July 19, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »
OneGrassRoot   (1000+ posts)           Mon Jun-29-09 04:19 PM
Original message
Animal Totems/Guides

Like many of you, I've never followed a particular "belief" system. My journey has always -- even as a child -- been that of a seeker, exploring a variety of religions and belief systems. Fairly quickly I stopped searching for THE answer and instead was simply searching for a path that worked for ME, recognizing that we are each unique.

As I got older, I also recognized that what may have worked for me at one time, may no longer serve. Flexibility and maintaining an open mind became more important -- for me -- and simply paying attention.

In paying attention, the animal kingdom came strongly into my awareness about eight or nine years ago. I found it fascinating to read about various cultures' beliefs regarding Spirit guides, and how certain creatures impart certain messages, signs and omens.

This really resonated with me for some reason, especially as the hawk became prevalent in my daily experience at that time in a way I couldn't logically dismiss. Nor did I want to, quite frankly.   I found it comforting...a sign from Spirit that I was connected.

Along with a lifelong propensity to have message dreams as my main source of guidance, I now include the animal kingdom as a great source of guidance for me.

As I have recently made a conscious effort to reconnect to guidance, the hawk, a white crow, and an eagle (my first ever!) made an appearance in the last 10 days. Their messages are very similar and add to my sense that I am indeed being guided in this manner and that it's important for me to pay attention.

I know we can go crazy and interpret everything as "a sign," but for me it's only when something STRONGLY resonates or occurs repeatedly that I delve into the potential message further. Otherwise, I'd drive myself insane trying to interpret every occurrence.

And, like dreams, I think their messages are unique for each individual.

I was just wondering if any others feel the same way about Spirit Guides within the Animal Kingdom?

The "bible" for many about this subject is Ted Andrews' "AnimalSpeak," in case that rings a bell.
link

Hmmm. Haven't seen CC's own animal spirit guide recently.  :-)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:55:56 PM by bijou »

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Re: Animal Totems/Guides
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »
I used to follow foxes quite a bit, hoping to encounter a beaver, but more often than not ended up with a dog at closing time.

Woof.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
I used to follow foxes quite a bit, hoping to encounter a beaver, but more often than not ended up with a dog at closing time.

Woof.
Beats being forced to harpoon a whale.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:45:51 PM »
 :lmao: :lmao: :cheersmate: :rotf: :rotf:
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:59:58 PM »
I can't believe you guys would bring such a serious discussion topic down to such a crude level. 

:rotf: :rotf:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »

Woof.

It's weird how you can start out after mammals and end up smelling like fish.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
:rimshot:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 11:12:44 PM »
These people are flat out f'n nuts.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 04:48:32 AM »
Might be something there

I remember falling asleep once as a kid watching wrestling on Channel 11, it was 2 hours every Saturday Night back then. I dreamed that the wooden owls on the wall came alive and attacked us, gouging our eyes and scratching our faces.

It woke me up.

There was a scorpion inches from my face.

First one I ever saw in my life. It was a baby one though and probably harmless.

So thats how come I don't have wooden owls on my wall.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 06:52:40 AM »
Might be something there

I remember falling asleep once as a kid watching wrestling on Channel 11, it was 2 hours every Saturday Night back then. I dreamed that the wooden owls on the wall came alive and attacked us, gouging our eyes and scratching our faces.

It woke me up.

There was a scorpion inches from my face.

First one I ever saw in my life. It was a baby one though and probably harmless.

So thats how come I don't have wooden owls on my wall.

My mom used to have a wooden owl that had eyes that appeared to follow you anywhere in the room.

I hated that thing with a passion. (I was six.)
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »
  My favorite Spirits come out of a bottle of RUM.

Seriously wonder about all these animal spirits----

The one and only animal or any creature I hate with a passion is the BEAR, black, red, brown, panda, Grizzly or Kodiak----

My kids know my disgust and loathing, down right fear of those beasts ,they get great fun giving me bears, Bean Baby or little Teddy Bears.

I would rather run into a Pole Cat or Fisher Cat then a bear.

I didn't like Sara Poulin that much until I saw a picture of her with the dead bear she shot in her living room.  Wow, now that's my kind of Gal, good taste in varmint hunting.

Offline Flame

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
How on earth can anyone hate a BEAR?  Wierd.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »
How on earth can anyone hate a BEAR?  Wierd.

A stupid liberal!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
As I have recently made a conscious effort to reconnect to guidance, the hawk, a white crow, and an eagle (my first ever!) made an appearance in the last 10 days. Their messages are very similar and add to my sense that I am indeed being guided in this manner and that it's important for me to pay attention.

I see birds too! Right out my window! They're Cornish crosses and they just told me they'll be ready for processing in about 3 more weeks!

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »
This thread needs a blast of wisdom from FlippyDoo - if anyone knows about spirit guides....  :lmao:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »
This thread needs a blast of wisdom from FlippyDoo - if anyone knows about spirit guides....  :lmao:

Really!  FlippyDoo, please pick up the fictional white phone!  You're being paged!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.