Author Topic: DUmmy ThomWV Spins Transcontinental Bouncy  (Read 848 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
DUmmy ThomWV Spins Transcontinental Bouncy
« on: July 19, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »
ThomWV  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jul-19-09 12:03 PM
Original message
I guy I know who ain't got shit but received a tax refund in the mail - an IOU

I fellow I met last year just got a tax refund from the State of California in the form of an IOU. I understand they won't take them at banks in California, you know its worthless paper here in West Virginia. I met the fellow when he and his wife moved into his sisters house. His sister is a good friend of my wife. Their whole family is from the bay area. Its really a shame but they haven't got a dime. The guy and his lady are only here because they got stuck here while traveling the country looking for work; when the money was completely gone the sister was the closest landing place. Now the sister, who is my wife's friend, is holding down the fort and doing side jobs catering and waitressing while her husband is working somewhere in Ohio and sending the money back home. None of them has an extra dime between them. Back to the fellow. He's none too bright and mentally drifts off into la-la land now and then, not a dime of insurance to have a doctor take a look at him. They've been here nearly a year and I believe he's working odd jobs a bit so they were really hoping to find a place to live other than in the spare room of a double wide; and the god damned state of California sends them an IOU. This is the honest to god's truth; they would have been better off if the state had sent them a big bowl of steaming shit instead. At least the shit could have been used to fertilize the garden.

What the hell has this country come to?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6101635

This is pretty good. DUmmy ThomWV, stuck in the foothills of the Appalachians somewhere in West Virginia, has managed to construct a bouncy about the bankruptcy of California.

Of course, you know that if DUmmy ThomWV ever came into some real money, like maybe over $1000, he would load up the truck and move to Beverly. Hills, that is.

Offline Karin

Re: DUmmy ThomWV Spins Transcontinental Bouncy
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »
I don't really think it's a bouncy.  The DUmp is full of people like this, such as bobolink and angrycarpenter.  Some people are just hapless and helpless.  DUmmies are just like kinds, and they attract each other to bitch and commiserate and hope for handouts. 

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »
I notice that he conveniently forgets to advise the reader which political party is the majority in California's legislature, and therefore responsible for the IOU........giving him the benefit of the doubt, doncha know.....

I believe that a wise person once said......"the problem with liberalism/socalism is that sooner or later you run out of other peoples money......."

doc
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:37:16 PM by TVDOC »

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »
Wait until the mountain man primitive's social security checks come in the form of IOUs.  He's going to freak out.

But being a Democrat, liberal, and primitive, I'm sure the mountain man primitive will settle down; after all, his own anticipated funds will be going for the greater good, and it would be selfish, unDemocratic, unliberal, unprimitivish, of him to want his money.

I had a conversation with, of all people, a horse-breeder and storage-unit-rental owner, last night.

He commented that people from as far away (from Nebraska) as Florida and Virginia have recently rented storage units from him, at $40 a month for something like a 20x40 storage unit.

Curious as to why they might be doing this--it's of course okay with him, but he was just curious--he asked, and was told that once these people's unemployment compensation runs out, they'll have no place, and so are storing their stuff in advance.

The horse-breeder figures that, for many, unemployment compensation will run out in early autumn, after which the apocalypse.

One wonders how Ma and Pa Kettle in the White House, and the Democrats in Congress, are going to deal with that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
Wait until the mountain man primitive's social security checks come in the form of IOUs.  He's going to freak out.

But being a Democrat, liberal, and primitive, I'm sure the mountain man primitive will settle down; after all, his own anticipated funds will be going for the greater good, and it would be selfish, unDemocratic, unliberal, unprimitivish, of him to want his money.

I had a conversation with, of all people, a horse-breeder and storage-unit-rental owner, last night.

He commented that people from as far away (from Nebraska) as Florida and Virginia have recently rented storage units from him, at $40 a month for something like a 20x40 storage unit.

Curious as to why they might be doing this--it's of course okay with him, but he was just curious--he asked, and was told that once these people's unemployment compensation runs out, they'll have no place, and so are storing their stuff in advance.

The horse-breeder figures that, for many, unemployment compensation will run out in early autumn, after which the apocalypse.

One wonders how Ma and Pa Kettle in the White House, and the Democrats in Congress, are going to deal with that.

20x40.  That's a fairly good sized unit.  It would/could be big enough to actually live in.

Frank, do you know if his storage facilities are "climate controlled" or not?
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »
20x40.  That's a fairly good sized unit.  It would/could be big enough to actually live in.

Frank, do you know if his storage facilities are "climate controlled" or not?

I dunno.  I never paid attention.

For whatever it's worth, the units are together in some sort of half-brick, half-sheet steel, building, built maybe five years ago, each one having a pretty tall garage door.

I don't suspect one can live in one, though, because there's no sanitary facilities.

The whole edifice is kind of out in the middle of nowhere, on a piece of the guy's property not suited for horses.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:03:02 AM »
I thought only companies and contractors who did work with the state of California were getting IOU's, I didn't know that it had trickled down to those getting tax refunds and ... welfare IOU's?

Hey Dumdum,
This is what happens when a government spends more money than it could possibly ever pay back.

BTW- what guarantee do the holders of an IOU have that on Oct 2 they can redeem them for cash? What makes us think they'll have any spare money on Oct 2? They better cash them ASAP before they decide to make them wait a year or two.

Too bad the whole country is heading that way.

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »
I thought only companies and contractors who did work with the state of California were getting IOU's, I didn't know that it had trickled down to those getting tax refunds and ... welfare IOU's?

The People's Republic of California still pays their employees and the welfare recipients in legal tender.  The IOUs only go out to the productive citizens that pay taxes and the contractors with the state. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »

Hey Dumdum,
This is what happens when a government spends more money than it could possibly ever pay back.

BTW- what guarantee do the holders of an IOU have that on Oct 2 they can redeem them for cash? What makes us think they'll have any spare money on Oct 2? They better cash them ASAP before they decide to make them wait a year or two.

Too bad the whole country is heading that way.

Are the recipients of these IOU's receiving interest on the amount owed while they wait?  If I remember orrectly, when I lived in California, if I didn't pay my taxes on time, there were some hefty interest charges attached........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:53:30 PM »
Are the recipients of these IOU's receiving interest on the amount owed while they wait?  If I remember orrectly, when I lived in California, if I didn't pay my taxes on time, there were some hefty interest charges attached........

doc

Hmmm . . . That could make for an interesting (no pun intended) lawsuit.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »

doc

Yes, there will be interest if you wait to cash the IOU's until October. 

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
Yes, there will be interest if you wait to cash the IOU's until October. 

every single news article mentioned the 3.75% interest I believe

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »
every single news article mentioned the 3.75% interest I believe

Is that the exact same percentage that you pay if you are late in paying them (unlikely, more likely 6 or 7%)?  If not, well.......I rest my case.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.