Author Topic: Beer Reviews  (Read 26457 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: Beer Reviews
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »
Real Ale Brewing Company   http://realalebrewing.com/beer_styles.php

A up and coming Texas Brewery.  Odin, make sure to look for some when you are on the proper side of the Red River.   :-)

I haven't tried nearly all, but the Full Moon Rye, and the Firemans #4 are very good.  They aren't heavy, and still manage to be very, very tasty.  

I am keeping my eyes peeled for some of their seasonal selections coming up.  

I've heard of them. I know a guy that lives in Fredericksburg that mentioned them a few years back. I'll check 'em out next time I'm in Mexas.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:19:23 AM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
I've heard of them. I know a guy that lives in Fredericksburg that mentioned them a few years back. I'll check 'em out next time I'm in Mexas.

Mexas.   :lmao:  Ok, I'll give you that. 

If you ever get down to Fredericksburg, make sure you go to the Fredericksburg Brewery.  Fabulous beers.  Went down for a weekend trip a few years ago with the BF and spent it all there from open to close.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »
Damn the TSA...damn them all to hell.  Curse their very living souls and those of their children for the lack of liquids allowed in carry on luggage...

I've already found a couple of local breweries in the soon-to-be-frozen tundra of Iowa...

http://www.3rdbasebrewery.com/

I liked the Golden Hawk Wheat and tried the Double IPA that comes in at 9.5 percent.

Then there's Granite City.  Oh my, as coach would say.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »
Damn the TSA...damn them all to hell.  Curse their very living souls and those of their children for the lack of liquids allowed in carry on luggage...

I hear ya.  Prior to 9/11 I flew to Holland with a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Celebration in my overnight.  I have been to several places afterwards that I would have LOVED to bring some home, but curses to the TSA. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2010, 04:17:41 AM »
Just kicking this....

Guiness---Love the dark beers
Youngs Double Chocolate stout
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale(on draft it is most excellent)
Sierra Nevada Torpedo---hoppier tha the Pale Ale
Sweetwater IPA---Not as hoppy as the Sierra Nevada but still just as good
Sweetwater Pale Ale---Nice grapefruit taste, refreshing on a sumer day
Sweetwater Motorboat---nice hoppy taste, good body
Terrapin Rye---hoppy yet distinct.  Good all around beer
Terrapin Hopsecutioner---Kind of like the Torpedo, but not as hoppy
Duval---Belgian ale.  Very nice and smooth.  Good relaxing and sitting by the fire beer
Founding Fathers has a couple of pretty good ones, I'll have to remember the names.

I've got some fresh hopped beer that I picked up from Total Wine made by Terrapin and Sierra Nevada.  I usually wind up going to Taco Mac and trying different ones.  Its fun.  I'vve had some good ones and I've had some disgusting ones(Dogfish head Punkin ale, just nasty).  I like hoppy beers mostly and some dark.  Usually if I travel, I'll try the local micro-brewery. 
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »
Just kicking this....

Guiness---Love the dark beers
Youngs Double Chocolate stout
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale(on draft it is most excellent)
Sierra Nevada Torpedo---hoppier tha the Pale Ale
Sweetwater IPA---Not as hoppy as the Sierra Nevada but still just as good
Sweetwater Pale Ale---Nice grapefruit taste, refreshing on a sumer day
Sweetwater Motorboat---nice hoppy taste, good body
Terrapin Rye---hoppy yet distinct.  Good all around beer
Terrapin Hopsecutioner---Kind of like the Torpedo, but not as hoppy
Duval---Belgian ale.  Very nice and smooth.  Good relaxing and sitting by the fire beer
Founding Fathers has a couple of pretty good ones, I'll have to remember the names.

I've got some fresh hopped beer that I picked up from Total Wine made by Terrapin and Sierra Nevada.  I usually wind up going to Taco Mac and trying different ones.  Its fun.  I'vve had some good ones and I've had some disgusting ones(Dogfish head Punkin ale, just nasty).  I like hoppy beers mostly and some dark.  Usually if I travel, I'll try the local micro-brewery. 

Sounds like you and I would have a good fight over the last beer then!   :cheersmate:  I don't believe I have had any Terrapin.  Going to the Flying Saucer tomorrow (pub with close to 200 beers), might have to see if they have some. 

Although, since it is the holidays, I KNOW I will have some Lindemans Lambic, probably the framboise. 

Speaking of framboise, the Frambrozen Raspberry Wheat that New Belgium has out is pretty darn good.

Speaking of Dogfish Head, anyone out here watching Brewmasters?

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »

Sounds like you and I would have a good fight over the last beer then!   :cheersmate:  I don't believe I have had any Terrapin.  Going to the Flying Saucer tomorrow (pub with close to 200 beers), might have to see if they have some. 

Although, since it is the holidays, I KNOW I will have some Lindemans Lambic, probably the framboise. 

Speaking of framboise, the Frambrozen Raspberry Wheat that New Belgium has out is pretty darn good.

Speaking of Dogfish Head, anyone out here watching Brewmasters?

You know, life's too short to drink bad beer.  I just like trying different ones.  Some were awesome, some were, well, not so awesome.  I haven't had any of the lambics.  I'll have to give them a try.  You're the third person to tell me about them.  Terrapin is an Atlanta(Athens) brewery.  They're trying to keep pace with Sierra Nevada and doing a good job.  No fighting over beers here, we'll always have enough! :-)
I caught a glimpse of the brewmasters show that had them chewing corn and spitting it out and thought, that's just wrong.
';
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2011, 12:14:41 PM »
Got me some Newcastle on steroids in the secondary fermenter............................results in 30 days....
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
Got me some Newcastle on steroids in the secondary fermenter............................results in 30 days....

And here I thought you were just a wine dude.   :-)  I can't wait till my BF starts brewing again.  It's been too dang long. 

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Ahhh but you must have noticed the "slob" at the end. No snobbery here.      O-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »

I used to be a homebrewer, but, got too busy with other hobbies and it had to go.  I love trying new brews.   

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »
It's in the bottle as of Saturday. Looks like it'll be just under 6% alc.

md11hydmec it's really simple as far as recipes go.
10 lbs of 2 row pale malt
1 lb crystal malt for color and body.
All grain no extract.
4oz Cascade hops, 2oz half way into the boil and the other 2 near the end.
No additives, I use a wort chiller so I don't get chill haze.
2 stage fermentation (I use almost any Ale yeast) and I let it "run out" for just over a week, just to make sure it's as dry as possible.

I should know how it came out in a week, but even at bottling it was tasty.

Offline Varokhâr

• Tea Party hearty, dude!
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
For any of you in NJ, Triumph Brewing in Princeton has a collection of killer micro-brews, every pint worth every penny.

I've never been to the Philly or New Hope locations, but the Princeton one is great. Food is great, too - a bit pricey, but that's to be expected.

I highly recommend their Honey Wheat and Imperial Stout. Especially a pint of the former followed by two or three glasses of the latter for an epic buzz. Ugh, I miss home...

Deist. Libertarian. Patriot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2011, 06:09:47 AM »
It's in the bottle as of Saturday. Looks like it'll be just under 6% alc.

md11hydmec it's really simple as far as recipes go.
10 lbs of 2 row pale malt
1 lb crystal malt for color and body.
All grain no extract.
4oz Cascade hops, 2oz half way into the boil and the other 2 near the end.
No additives, I use a wort chiller so I don't get chill haze.
2 stage fermentation (I use almost any Ale yeast) and I let it "run out" for just over a week, just to make sure it's as dry as possible.
M÷

I should know how it came out in a week, but even at bottling it was tasty.
I thought about going all grain, everyone on my brewing board called it the dark side.  I stuck with extract.  Loved my homemade wort chiller.  Could take my wort from boiling to pitching them in about 5 minutes.    Enjoyed the brewing process, just had too many other things going on.  Enjoy trying different brew styles.  People get really creative.  I'm planning on going to this years GABF.f

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
When I am in a different frame of mind, I love to treat myself to Lindemens (sp?) Lambics. The Framboise is my favorite. 

And in the winter, I like a Woodchuck Cider on occasion as well.  Speaking of piss beers.....Estrella Damn (Spain) tops my list of Foreign Beers.  Beliken (Belize) was pretty darn tasty as I recall.
I got  a cider in BWW in Twin Falls that was a pear cider. It was really good. But I   can't remember the name of it.
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2011, 07:53:58 AM »
Stromgbow makes a good cider.  I've had a half guinesss half strongbow amd it was really good.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
"Blue Paddle" Pilsner by New Belgium Brewery

A nice clean initial drink, but hardly any hop flavors coming through. The finish is sharp. Not one of this brewery's better offerings, but better than most mass-produced American pilsners.

Overall Score: 7

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
Terrapins "Boomshakalager" --- Bavarian Lager.  One of Terrapins side projects (#11)It was pretty good, nice hop spice, malty finish.  Amber colored but fresh tasting..
Score---7

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2011, 08:57:59 PM »
Since I started going to the roller derby I have discovered the best beer in ages. It's called Hopalicious:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13837/30679
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2011, 09:09:48 PM »
Everything tastes better at the roller derby. :lmao:

What's the price?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:15 PM »
$10 in advance/$12 at the door for the games
$6.50 for the beer

I forget if you are in the Madison area but we should put together a group sometime. The season is over. There might be a game in July but the season starts again in December.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40:14 PM »
Havent read all the previous posts/pages but Grimbergen Double Abbey Ale a dark Belgian beer is undoubtedly my favorite beer with La Trappe Trappist Ale decidedly being my second fav.

As I understand it Grimbergen is one of the few surviving abbeys to have been established by the founder of an order, in this instance St Norbert (1080-1134). The Grimbergen Double has undergone two fermentations, which gives this ale a chocolatey, toffee taste with a warming brandy-like finish.

Some abbeys have beers called Single, Double and Triple, to indicate an ascending order of alcohol content. Typically, the single is served to the brothers with their meals, and is often unavailable outside the abbey. The Double and Triple may be served in the abbey on religious holidays, but are likely to be primarily sold outside. The prime role of all abbey and Trappist beers is to raise money for the maintenance of the communities and their work.

Grimbergen's range includes a dark double (in Flemish, Dubbel) and a golden Triple (in Flemish, Tripel). The Double has an alcohol content of 5.2 per cent by weight, 6.5 by volume. It has a Burgundy color, a raisiny aroma; an orangey, toffeeish palate; and a cinnamon-like, spicy, brandyish, finish.

I pay about $26 per 6 pack for the Grimbergen Double and about $5 a piece for the Trappist Ale here in the US when I can find them.

Needless to say I have little use for American beers, except to be 'sociable' as they say. And, well of course they are cheap.

:)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2011, 04:21:26 AM »
I'll have to try those.  They sound tasty.  As far as American beers, I try to stay away from the mainstream mega brewers(Bud, Miller, Yeungling, et al) and stick to the craft beers.  There are some really good ones out there.  Trying them is half the fun.  Everywhere I visit I'll try the local brewery if there is one.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »
I'll have to try those.  They sound tasty.  As far as American beers, I try to stay away from the mainstream mega brewers(Bud, Miller, Yeungling, et al) and stick to the craft beers.  There are some really good ones out there.  Trying them is half the fun.  Everywhere I visit I'll try the local brewery if there is one.

Do you get Lazy Magnolia Beers where you are?  It's brewed in the Kill.  Their Southern Pecan Nut Brown ale is awesome.

Sam Adams has a deconstructed IPA 12 pack on limited release right now.  Two in the 12 are an IPA and the others are an IPA with only one type of hop.   It's been very interesting to taste the difference.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »
Well's Bombadier Ale

Simply one of the flagships of English brown ales, IMO.

Overall Rating: 9