Author Topic: Moody’s Investors Svc Lowers U.S. Outlook Rating to Negative...  (Read 364 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
...Polarization, Deficits

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2023/11/11/moodys-investors-service-lowers-u-s-outlook-rating-negative-polarization-deficits/

Moody’s Investors Service lowered the United States outlook from stable to negative on Friday, citing polarization and deficit spending.

“Moody’s Investors Service on Friday lowered its ratings outlook on the United States’ government to negative from stable, pointing to rising risks to the nation’s fiscal strength,” CNBC noted. “The ratings agency has affirmed the long-term issuer and senior unsecured ratings of the U.S. at Aaa.”

The agency said that it expects the “US’ fiscal deficits will remain very large, significantly weakening debt affordability.”

The agency added that political polarization raises concern that future governments will not be able to properly implement a coherent fiscal policy.

“Continued political polarization within US Congress raises the risk that successive governments will not be able to reach consensus on a fiscal plan to slow the decline in debt affordability,” it said.

The U.S. rating will stay at Aaa as long as the nation continues to “retain its exceptional economic strength.”

“Further positive growth surprises over the medium term could at least slow the deterioration in debt affordability,” the agency said.

Deputy Secretary of the Treasury Wally Adeyemo said that the Biden administration disagrees with the rating shift to a negative.

“While the statement by Moody’s maintains the United States’ Aaa rating, we disagree with the shift to a negative outlook,” Adeyemo said in a statement. “The American economy remains strong, and Treasury securities are the world’s preeminent safe and liquid asset.”

The negative rating comes as the U.S. government faces another possible shutdown.

“Newly minted Speaker Mike Johnson is running smack dab into the same spending problems that plagued his predecessor, raising the prospects of a government shutdown if Congress doesn’t act between now and next Friday and further exposing divisions within the conference,” CNN reported this week.

“House Republican leaders were forced to abruptly pull two-year-long spending bills from the floor this week amid opposition from both ends of their badly divided GOP conference,” it added. “And Johnson is still grappling with a strategy to keep the government’s lights on without sparking a right-wing rebellion.”

I like to keep all this high finance stuff simple -- the U.S. is $33.7 trillion in debt. If I ran my financial household like the federal government runs, I'd be bankrupt and probably thrown in prison for fraud.

Johnson needs to get his head out of his ass. Yet another CR is not the answer. Shut it down, withhold congressional and executive branch salaries and watch the bullshit stop.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: Moody’s Investors Svc Lowers U.S. Outlook Rating to Negative...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 08:04:54 AM »
I wish I could just spend all the money I want and then give myself a raise with little that my boss could do about it.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.