Author Topic: Newest Palin Smear: She cut special needs funding  (Read 1720 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Newest Palin Smear: She cut special needs funding
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
Newest Palin Smear: She Cut Special Needs Budget
I just watched CNN's Soledad O'Brien sandbag former White House Communications Director Nicole Wallace by asking her how Sarah Palin can claim to be a defender of special needs children when she cut the budget for that Alaska office by 62 percent. Wallace wasn't familiar with the charge -- which isn't surprising, since it's only being made on DailyKos and another liberal site. (Tip for Ms. O'Brien: DailyKos is not a reliable news site.)

This charge is based on looking at the budget for Alaska's Special Education Service Agency for 2007-2009. In fact, the December 2006 budget document that they cite would have been prepared by the outgoing administration -- that of Republican Frank Murkowski, whom Palin defeated.

What's gone unmentioned is that the Palin signed into law a dramatic reform of the state's education financing system that equalizes aid to rural and urban districts, while significantly increasing funding for special needs students. From the publication Education Week:

Gov. Sarah Palin and state lawmakers have gone ahead with an overhaul of Alaska’s school funding system that supporters predict will provide much-needed financial help to rural schools and those serving students with disabilities.

The plan, enacted in the recently concluded session of the legislature, is based on recommendations issued by a legislative task force last year. It will phase in a greater flow of money to districts outside of Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city, over the next five years.

Advocates for rural and remote schools have lobbied for years for more funding, in particular noting the higher fuel, transportation, and other costs associated with providing education in communities scattered across the vast state.

A second part of the measure raises spending for students with special needs to $73,840 in fiscal 2011, from the current $26,900 per student in fiscal 2008, according to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development (emphasis added).

So the Netroots and CNN allege that Palin cut special needs funding by 62 percent, by crediting her with the budget proposed by a political opponent. And the truth is that rather than a 62 percent cut, she's actually increasing special needs funding by 175 percent.

It's no wonder a majority of Americans think the media is trying to hurt Palin.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/09/newest_palin_smear_she_cut_spe.asp
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Newest Palin Smear: She cut special needs funding
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:05:51 PM »
I figured that was the case when I heard this.  Cheap shot that only works on retards and willing dupes.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »
I figured that was the case when I heard this.  Cheap shot that only works on retards and willing dupes.

So...  Democrats.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:15:09 PM »
Truth be told the special education mandates of IDEA are pretty much ignored throughout the United States, so when I heard this originally I didn't think much about it.

Children with special needs is something Sarah Palin has just recently been personally involved with.  I care little how she got to my table, I just thank God she made it here.    Her son will grow up in America's eyes and that will hopefully change a lot of hearts and stereotypes most have about these amazing children and adults. 

Parents of special needs children in the country rejoiced when she made that pledge to be their children's advocate.   They rejoiced again the next evening when McCain promised to fight for the family whose lives have been touched with a member who has autism.   Finally we will have someone who will not only hear their voice, they will be their voice.   I can't even begin to tell you what that means to us. 

Thank God.  Thank God.  Thank you God.

ETA:  To clarify my comments "I care little how she got to my table", I mean I am not concerned with  her actions as Governor if she had in fact cut Sped funding as it that is pretty systemic throughout the country.    I am just glad she understands the need to advocate for these precious children, and welcome her with open arms.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:18:05 PM by formerlurker »

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 12:47:49 AM »
The statement she made druring the convention about helping families with Special Needs children was VERY genuine.  It was actually an emotional part of the speech and really elevated her in my eyes.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »
The Dems have been playing this "Three Card Monty" for a while. If a program doesn't get it's FULL amount, they call it a cut. They did the same with GWB and his alleged "cuts" to the VA. He never "cut" anything, he just didn't give them ALL they asked for.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:27:56 PM »
There's another bigger smear looming. I heard this morning on Fox News that there's a National Enquirer "article" coming out about how she had an affair with, I believe, a friend of her husband's.

She's going to have to stay strong. The stuff is going to get nastier and nastier, and Oback will keep saying "It wasn't me or my people".  :whatever:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
There's another bigger smear looming. I heard this morning on Fox News that there's a National Enquirer "article" coming out about how she had an affair with, I believe, a friend of her husband's.

She's going to have to stay strong. The stuff is going to get nastier and nastier, and Oback will keep saying "It wasn't me or my people".  :whatever:

The friend has already come out and said it was a bunch of bull.  I think I read that on FR.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »

Already been out, already debunked, according to the so-called jilted spouse.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »

Already been out, already debunked, according to the so-called jilted spouse.

And here Ed Morrissey has it:

Unfortunately, I can't copy the article, so I'll give the URL:

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/05/another-palin-smear-bites-the-dust/
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 03:06:19 PM »
It's good to see the smears getting smacked down. That will only endear Gov. Palin to the undecideds a bit more IMO.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle