Author Topic: DUmmies Concerned about Evictions  (Read 718 times)

Offline BamaMoose

DUmmies Concerned about Evictions
« on: August 01, 2021, 06:02:03 AM »
haele (10,227 posts)

Eviction disaster looming - Ideas on what to do?

I suspect FEMA might need to be activated to provide temporary housing, as HUD has never (to my knowledge) ever had to deal with a massive housing emergency as the moratorium expires and there's a huge amount of rental assistance not spent or disbursed for a variety of reasons - from states and localities unable or unwilling to make an effort to disburse funds, to eviction so as to raise rents or renters taking advantage of the moratorium to squat until they get kicked out.
This isn't the same as the efforts to reduce homelessness. This is a situation where there is a clear underlying cause, and it will immediately affect hundreds of thousands, if not over a million, Americans, and quickly, just as any natural disaster hitting a major city.

We all know the GQP is just salivating to bring up "Bidenvilles" at the mid-terms. Is there any group working on this immediate issue? 

After a year and a half of freeloading on the state and federal government's dime, it's time to pay the piper.  And of course, they are scared about having to actually pay their bills.  The fact that many of them made more on unemployment than they made in their actual jobs is supposedly immaterial to their current problems.  But this DUmmie spells out an unfortunate reality which kills the thread:

Sneederbunk (9,053 posts)

13. Some may have to consider going back to work.

What kid of crazy talk is this?  Take responsibility for your finances and quit expecting someone else to pay your bills?  Work?  This is just insane.

:rotf:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215685370

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: DUmmies Concerned about Evictions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 06:44:55 AM »
Quote from:
haele

We all know the GQP is just salivating to bring up "Bidenvilles" at the mid-terms. Is there any group working on this immediate issue?

You mean like the Democrat controlled Congress? The same one that just voted for a 7 week recess without addressing this issue?

That's the weakness of you lefties; you're completely unable to look at your own party and point the finger at yourselves.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 06:49:59 AM »
Lockdowns and eviction moratoriums were your ideas.

So, yes, you own the resulting disaster.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 08:01:28 AM »
Get a job, pay your bills...its not really rocket science
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 08:38:47 AM »
Get a job, pay your bills...its not really rocket science

DUmmies are not exactly known for their understanding of economics.  The people who own the buildings (ya' know, the "evil" landlords) have to spend a lot of money for their mortgages and still had to despite the Chinese Wuhan Red Death.  Without you freeloaders, they still have to pay their bills without government handouts.

9 to 10 million open jobs in the country, DUmmies and liberals.  Perhaps you should look into that instead of sucking on the giant teat of government.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 10:55:01 AM »
For those who simply decided, for no particular reason to stop paying rent, I have zero sympathy.

For those who chose to stay on enhanced UE instead of getting a new job, I have zero sympathy.

For those unable to get a new job but chose not to work things out in good faith with their landlords, I have very little sympathy.

These are all people who participated in a Federally mandated screwing over of property owners and now deserve what's coming to them, and probably more than will happen!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 05:04:04 PM »
For you viewing pleasure, a little Eddie Murphy about landlords:

https://youtu.be/5-3ckX-zSHw
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 05:49:07 PM »
The timer to renew legislation ran out on 07/31. The evictions begin on Monday. I have not read where a Democrat controlled congress renewed protections for hurting people.
~~I'm guessing they want a great hue and cry to play as the saviors again.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 05:53:39 PM »
The timer to renew legislation ran out on 07/31. The evictions begin on Monday. I have not read where a Democrat controlled congress renewed protections for hurting people.
~~I'm guessing they want a great hue and cry to play as the saviors again.
If anybody is hurting, it's by their own hand. Everyone is hiring and the money is out there for anyone willing to work for it
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Karin

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 08:46:16 AM »
Is there any group working on this immediate issue?

No.  They have just gone on a very long vacation.  This was a cluster**** all around from the get go.  A lot of people got royally screwed.  A housing shortage may result, because who wants to go into the business?  I wonder if there weren't a lot of property tax defaults, because the landlord simply didn't have the money?  This would deprive your precious goverment money.  Oh no! 

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 09:09:21 AM »
I wonder how many DUmmies decided to stick it to their landlord by not paying rent, even though they could. It's almost Pay Up or Payback time!

BTW, I've done the 9 month layoff followed by 2 1/2 years of 17% pay cut and a crappy health plan at a survival job routine. We never missed a rent/mortgage payment (intentional vagueness as to which). During that layoff I sent resumes' to scores or hundreds of companies. I wasn't sitting back doing nothing till my UEI ran out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 09:17:04 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 09:26:38 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215689410
no_hypocrisy (38,640 posts)

The other side of the rental moratorium

I live in NJ in a rental unit. I've been fortunate to have been employed during the Pandemic and Moratorium. I paid my rent on time in full every month.

OTOH, since March of last year, the unit under me has not paid anything despite the residents also being employed. They just used the Pandemic as an excuse not to pay rent. (I'm certain of these facts as I personally know them.)

Not only is our landlord getting stiffed $1,300 (cheap rent by comparison to other local units) per month for almost 18 months, but NJ has extended the Moratorium to January, 2022. And to boot, our landlord received a call from a second prospective landlord in another city as to the reliability of the people downstairs to pay rent. IOW, they plan to move out without paying back any of the rent owed, despite the mandates that their rent is still expected to be paid at a later date. And without a forwarding address. Plus he won't be able to track them down as they never returned the Lease to him.

As of today, they owe $22,000+ to our landlord. His mortgage and municipal tax obligations are not in abeyance like rent for the Moratorium. He is struggling to hold onto the property. This is not a big rental house, only four modest units. He still has to pay for maintenance and repairs. (If our roof needed repair or replacement, he wouldn't have the money to pay the contractors.)

My question is how can landlords expect to be paid in full (with or without interest) when the universal tabs will be in excess of $25,000?

Disclaimer: I am not a relative or friend of the landlord. Just another tenant.
Interesting that at least one of the DUpipo understands this.

I'm just wondering if all the FREE COVIDBUCKS and ENHANCED UC came with a stipulation that the funds not be used to provide for the necessities of life, because, you know, someone else is responsible for that.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 10:10:43 AM »
 :rulez: MIRT Alert!  :rulez: MIRT Alert!  :rulez: MIRT Alert!  :rulez: MIRT Alert!  :rulez: