Author Topic: "But she had a knife" "The police officer had no choice"  (Read 948 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
"But she had a knife" "The police officer had no choice"
« on: April 22, 2021, 03:14:15 PM »
Star Member Nevilledog (23,598 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215363819

"But she had a knife" "The police officer had no choice"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1385270852090884097

Jirel (1,362 posts)

1. Yeah, funny how that works.

Seems cops can take a knife wielder down just fine without executing them...

:whatever:

Watchfoxheadexplodes (3,416 posts)

2. And the girl in pink had no protective garment on

Look at the proximity in both videos of officer and suspect.

Star Member BlueTsunami2018 (1,579 posts)

3. She did, he didn't.

I’m not sure why there’s any issue with this. He saved the other girl, that’s his job. That’s serving and protecting. Why isn’t that the story?

And if he didn’t do anything and the other girl was stabbed, he’d be the bad guy for that too.

Star Member Ms. Toad (26,360 posts)

9. I think he should have pulled a taser rather than his gun.

He shot because that is what he had in his hand.

Because he was expecting a knife fight (moving bodies close to one another) he should have pulled a less lethal weapon as he exited his car. Guns are not good in those situations, because you are just as likely to kill the innocent person as the aggressor. Whether a taser hits its mark, or misses, it is less likely to be deadly.

The police officer was relativley close to Ma'Khia earlier in the video, when she was not near any other person - and had his gun trained on her. Had he pulled his taser, rather than his gun, he could easily have used it at that moment before she was near the girl in pink.

:thatsright:

Star Member Straw Man (5,557 posts)

16. Bad advice.

Whether a taser hits its mark, or misses, it is less likely to be deadly.

And if it had missed its mark in this case, the other girl would have ended up seriously injured or dead. Tasers are not an adequate defense against deadly force.

sop (4,683 posts)

5. Police apologists will point out the life of a bystander was not being threatened, so the police

weren't "forced to shoot to save a life" in the video shown. Perhaps they're right. Still, I find it more than a bit hypocritical police are justifying shooting one black girl by claiming they were saving the life of another, paricularly when they generally show so little regard for black lives in general.

RegularJam (23 posts)

6. What I find most disturbing is the praise that the officer "saved" the other girl.

It's a dishonest argument. Each person making such an argument is pushing a falsehood, based in their acceptance of police shootings and brilliance that comes from their movie watching expertise, in order to justify the unnecessary killing of a citizen by the state.

::)

Calista241 (4,292 posts)

11. How is that disturbing? It's a fact.

We can't say the girl in pink 100% would have died if she was stabbed, but it's at least a likely outcome, and an outcome that was preventable. If that was my kid dressed in pink watching her life pass before her eyes as she's about to be stabbed / executed, while unarmed and in a poor position to defend herself, I'd be grateful the cop was there and did his job.

From a tactical standpoint, the cop's performance was exceptional. From his perspective, Bryant is an aggressor, and she's already assaulted one victim right in front of him, she has a knife and is in the process of assaulting a second girl. He's too far away to close the distance and physically interfere with the aggressor before she can stab the girl in pink, perhaps several times. And between him and the aggressor, he has the first victim flailing around on the ground, and an adult that's just attempted to kick the first victim in the face and who will be behind him if he closes with Bryant.

So, Bryant already used deadly force on one person, on camera and right in front of his eyes, and is about to do it a second time to another person. It doesn't get any more justified than that.

Loki Liesmith (4,379 posts)

15. Lol wrong

Star Member Midnightwalk (3,010 posts)

13. What are the questions?

I still haven’t watched the video, but it seems we’re not asking the right questions.

I get people being focussed on the last few seconds, weighing the risk to the girl in pink, but there is nothing but failure in the video

Maybe we will never learn the backstory since she was a minor and privacy concerns. How did it get to the point it did. It shouldn’t have. Reforming the police wouldn’t help if what really was needed was better social services.

Is the only metric whether the decision to shoot justified given the video? Like I say I didn’t watch yet, but heard the cop just arrived on scene and shot soon after. Why was he in the position to make that judgement better than the other cops already on the scene?

Snap decisions to shoot are often wrong. Is making a snap judgement more likely to result in a bad decision where there was not real threat than a good decision. Was it a bad practice that turned out well for the girl in pink?

This police department has a high rate of shootings by police and a disproportionate amount of shootings of people of color. This shouldn’t be seen as an exoneration of that.

We should be looking and talking about this as a failure even if it turns out that the cop was justified. The best that someone could say is the last few seconds weren’t criminal.

I really haven’t seen the video. Hard week and don’t want to see yet. Just my two cents.

:loser:

Loki Liesmith (4,379 posts)

14. You failed to make your point
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: "But she had a knife" "The police officer had no choice"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
RegularJam (23 posts)

6. What I find most disturbing is the praise that the officer "saved" the other girl.

The "other" girl is black. Doesn't her life matter? 

If all Police are racist, why did he risk putting himself at the center of another media shitstorm by shooting a black person knowing he was wearing a body cam when he could have just sat back and watch the black girl in pink getting gutted?  End result is a dead black person and according to you morons, that's really what the Police are after.  :whatever:
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 04:56:56 PM »
In the space of a couple of seconds the now dead thugling shoved someone down at the police officer's feet and then charged another person with a knife swung back so as to stab that other person full force. Had the officer done anything else the girl in pink would have been critically injured or dead, depending on the thugling's skill.

So, yeah, the police officer had choices ... all but one of which would have resulted in the girl in pink being critically injured or dying.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 05:10:24 PM »
Something about these police killings elicits the absolute dumbest takes by DU.

sop (4,683 posts)

5. Police apologists will point out the life of a bystander was not being threatened, so the police weren't "forced to shoot to save a life" in the video shown. Perhaps they're right. Still, I find it more than a bit hypocritical police are justifying shooting one black girl by claiming they were saving the life of another, paricularly when they generally show so little regard for black lives in general.
In other words, you can't be satisfied. If a police officer saves a black person's life, it's 'hypocritical' because other police failed to do so before.

RegularJam (23 posts)

It's a dishonest argument. Each person making such an argument is pushing a falsehood, based in their acceptance of police shootings and brilliance that comes from their movie watching expertise, in order to justify the unnecessary killing of a citizen by the state.
No, it's a fact. And the only people who seem to be drawing fake expertise from Hollywood fiction are the people who think there could easily have been a less lethal solution against a knife-wielding individual on the verge of stabbing someone. The officer could have used a taser, and hoped to God that that was sufficient to halt the attack, or he could try to run up and disarm the suspect with some Chuck Norris level shit and hope he and the victim didn't get stabbed before he disarmed her, or he could do what he did: use the highest level of force to save a life.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:50:55 PM by ADsOutburst »

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 08:41:18 PM »
In the space of a couple of seconds the now dead thugling shoved someone down at the police officer's feet and then charged another person with a knife swung back so as to stab that other person full force.

I'm curious as to what exactly went down that made the recently departed tackle one person then bounce up and immediately go after another person who appeared to be minding her own bidness with a knife.  I'd love to know the backstory or is this just how black pippo play.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 09:24:42 PM »
Something about these police killings elicits the absolute dumbest takes by DU.

When a group of nitwits at the DUmp live their lives in a mindset of stupid to begin with, it actually shouldn't be surprising.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 09:37:43 PM »
Has it occurred to the primitives that our moles at the DUmp are playing up the narrative that ACAB and keeping them at each other’s throats? Unlikely they have since I doubt they’re bright enough to have figured out we’re still using the same tactics that have worked there for years.

After all, the site exists for our entertainment!!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 11:07:46 PM »
I have a Gerber Mk. II, given to me by a British military unit for some assistance I gave them.  It serves no practical use outside of the military, but is one of the souvenirs I've collected over my career.  It is an extremely effective offensive weapon and, frankly, looks scary.  I would love to pin one of these idiots on the hood of a car, like that girl was, with that knife in my hand and ask them if they want the police officer to shoot.  I suspect they would change their tune rather quickly.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 08:33:25 AM »
I'm curious as to what exactly went down that made the recently departed tackle one person then bounce up and immediately go after another person who appeared to be minding her own bidness with a knife.  I'd love to know the backstory or is this just how black pippo play.

One bit of backstory I've gleaned is that the person who owns the house at which this happened has been fostering for years.

Has it occurred to the primitives that our moles at the DUmp are playing up the narrative that ACAB and keeping them at each other’s throats? Unlikely they have since I doubt they’re bright enough to have figured out we’re still using the same tactics that have worked there for years.

I promise that I don't have a mole on DU and he hasn't been stirring up @#$%.  :-)
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:06:05 AM »

Keep in mind, the incessant agitation from real leftists is getting people hurt and killed. Civil authorities have abandoned their obligations to preserving order and the rule of law.

Our nation is on the precipice of open war.

Please, (and I'm only asking because I command no one) let's not fan those embers because people are going to die - including our people and innocents.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 11:57:07 AM »
I have a Gerber Mk. II, given to me by a British military unit for some assistance I gave them.  It serves no practical use outside of the military, but is one of the souvenirs I've collected over my career.  It is an extremely effective offensive weapon and, frankly, looks scary.  I would love to pin one of these idiots on the hood of a car, like that girl was, with that knife in my hand and ask them if they want the police officer to shoot.  I suspect they would change their tune rather quickly.

Here's how the conversation should go:

You: If I were to charge you with this knife, and begin the motion of stabbing you with it, what would you want the police officer standing over there [point] to do?

Them: I...

You: Too late, you died.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:59:30 AM by ADsOutburst »