Author Topic: Should actors be fired for supporting Trump?  (Read 604 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Should actors be fired for supporting Trump?
« on: April 24, 2021, 06:32:11 PM »
Star Member spooky3 (27,158 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215369922

Should actors be fired for supporting Trump?

One of my guilty pleasures is recording a soap opera that I’ve watched off and on since college. Several months ago an actor I liked and who seemed to be a nice guy was let go “for budget reasons” mid-story line. They are writing around the role for now rather than killing the character off. But they have brought in other characters since, suggesting that $ is not the issue.

So I did a little web research and found rumors that the actor let go was a Trumper, and that the most powerful actor on the show is very anti-Trump and anti-insurrectionist. Apparently most of the cast agrees.

I wish the cast could have won the fired actor over. But I think it’s ok for the show to fire people who support traitors, since they have the flexibility to fire anyone if they’re willing to pay out the contract. At the same time, it really isn’t relevant to their job performance, and it’s not good to see workplaces whipped around, depending on who has the power.

What do you think?

On edit: I went to the actor’s Instagram. He posted about multiple trips he took at Christmas and afterwards. He had Covid last fall. Pretty stupid. So another possibility is that the show didn’t want him putting other actors or crew at risk.

:whatever:

Star Member LakeArenal (17,180 posts)

1. No. It's a free country. But I wouldn't hire them on the first place.

Mr Lake says no. They should be shot.

I think that is a bit extreme. But reasonable.

Star Member lpbk2713 (39,700 posts)

3. Maybe he just wouldn't shut up about his political preferences.
And so he got to be an annoying distraction. And then they showed him the door.

XanaDUer2 (1,485 posts)

5. Right

work is not the place to broadcast political opinions. It's unprofessional. I'm torn about this due to the HUAC destroying artists' careers in the past.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member LonePirate (11,142 posts)

6. People should not be fired for possessing a political view that does not impact their job.

That being said, if he skipped work to join in the January 6 insurrection or if he expressed his political views belligerently on the job (because we all know right wingers have a tough time keeping their mouths shut and like to force their views upon everyone around them), then we start to venture into territory where he should be fired.

Keep in mind, there may be lefties working with a right win boss or majority right wing co-workers , who need their job. So we should not advocate someone losing their job because of political views if those views/actions do not impact the job

Star Member agingdem (3,400 posts)

7. no...but relegate them to 10 second no lines walk-on roles..

avoid any reverse discrimination lawsuits...

So, discriminate, but legally...

Star Member Aristus (55,155 posts)

10. If that's what the producers want, sure.

The production and broadcasting of a television show is a private business endeavor. If the producer thinks an actor’s political beliefs are going to harm the bottom line, making $$$, they have every right to fire the actor.

Money aside, if an actor’s beliefs, or actions that stem from those beliefs, contribute to a toxic workplace, the producer has not only a right but a duty to fire the actor.

Trumpsters and other right-wingers are constantly complaining that they are being oppressed “just because we have different beliefs.”

And that’s not it at all. Believe what you want. But if it leads to people or our nation being harmed; or as on January 6th, both, then you’ve crossed a line.

David__77 (20,493 posts)

14. This raises the question: should law prohibit this?

Right now there aren’t such protections at least at the federal level. If enacted, what should be protected? Somehow I doubt that Trump supporting politicians will go far in advocating for such laws.

Star Member dalton99a (60,777 posts)

20. Trump cultist probably tried to proselytize and run his mouth

Star Member OneGrassRoot (21,941 posts)

22. Maybe a different frame:

What if an employee supports Nazis and the Kkk and this is known by other co-workers?

That’s not merely a different political opinion. The same is true of Trumpism.

Right-wingers claim victimhood no matter what, so I think it’s way past time to shun all who hold such heinous views in an attempt to make followers who are pro-fascism, pro white supremacy, anti-immigrant and pro-QAnon know their values and “opinions” are unacceptable in our society.

:whatever:

Star Member oasis (47,114 posts)

25. Those who embrace misinformation which borders on lunacy are subject

to episodes of dangerous delusional behavior.

Who the hell wants to deal with that kind of shit?

Star Member UTUSN (58,641 posts)

26. Their lack of talent kills off their careers. Their Drumpfiness is just one sign of their lacks.

Star Member Blue Owl (33,984 posts)

29. IMHO yes!

Just for spite.

Star Member JI7 (84,084 posts)

34. Trump supporters tend to be racists and other hateful types

and if they get fired it's becsuse of things like that.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline ADsOutburst

Re: Should actors be fired for supporting Trump?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
Star Member oasis (47,114 posts)

25. Those who embrace misinformation which borders on lunacy are subject

to episodes of dangerous delusional behavior.

Who the hell wants to deal with that kind of shit?
Your side has nothing to say about this.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 09:13:08 PM »
What a bunch of good little Nazis the DUmmies are.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 12:11:01 AM »
Someone with a mole to burn should direct the DUmmies to this link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 08:07:28 AM »
Someone with a mole to burn should direct the DUmmies to this link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

Sounds wasis.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 10:15:06 AM »

That history has been burned and never to be talked about again.

It is so strange that our society is turning into an Orwellian nightmare.  And that liberals want it that way, meanwhile deriding conservatives as Nazi's.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender