Author Topic: Review: Fighting with My Family  (Read 711 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Review: Fighting with My Family
« on: April 04, 2021, 08:39:57 AM »
Professional wrestling is referred to as a "Rope Opera." Say what you will about its scripted outcomes, the body slams and plummeting from tall ladders are real. There's no faking the effects of gravity.

Into this world stepped Ricky Knight, a man thrice sentenced to prison for bank robbery and armed robbery, with his wife Julia. The latter had been on the verge of suicide after a lifetime of various forms of abuse and drug addiction, when Ricky found her.

Wrestling became their way of leaving behind their tormented pasts.

Together, they have 3 children. All of whom became wrestlers as well. The movie is about the youngest, their daughter Saraya; who went on to become known as the WWE star "Paige."

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was so taken by her family's story (hailing from a wrestling family himself) he developed the idea, became the producer of the movie, and appears as himself.

The cast of relative unknowns put in the work of acting out the dramatic comedy as well as the wrestling moves. There are recognizable names like Vince Vaughn (always awesome) and Lena Headey, of The Terminator series, 300, and most recently (and nefariously) Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones.

You get to see how Paige was recognized, and trained at the WWE boot camp. While some of the script is embellished for the sake of the "underdog wins the championship" effect, the history is mostly on point.

One of the most endearing real life elements of the story is how the Knight family dedicated its meager resources but boundless good nature to teach kids in their hometown of Norwich, England in order to keep them off the streets and off drugs. They even have a blind student.

No joke.

I really enjoyed the film. I plucked it out of the $5 bin at Walmart but could have easily paid $20 without regret. I'll be watching again with friends.

For reference, the link below is the real life WWE debut of Paige against my crush AJ Lee.

https://youtu.be/iUzV60cUH9I
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Re: Review: Fighting with My Family
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 12:58:52 PM »
Paige is no longer wrestling due to a neck injury that forced her to retire but continues to work with the WWE behind the scenes.
Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz & Paul - all great films) played the part of her father in the film.
Lena Headey also played the part of Ma-Ma, the main villain, in the 2012 movie Dredd (A highly underrated film that was much better than Stallone's version of the material).
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 03:58:23 PM »
Paige is no longer wrestling due to a neck injury that forced her to retire but continues to work with the WWE behind the scenes.
Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz & Paul - all great films) played the part of her father in the film.
Lena Headey also played the part of Ma-Ma, the main villain, in the 2012 movie Dredd (A highly underrated film that was much better than Stallone's version of the material).

I see you are also a man of culture.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 08:23:03 AM »
Rented that quite a while back.  It was a good flick.  I like rassilin, but don't keep up with the current product very well.  Don't have cable or time, and kind of miss the walking, talking comic  book characters from the past (Ultimate Warrior, Demolition, Road Warriors, old Undertaker and Kane, ect) as opposed to the no more kayfabe, we are people playing roles take on things now. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 09:37:22 AM »
Rented that quite a while back.  It was a good flick.  I like rassilin, but don't keep up with the current product very well.  Don't have cable or time, and kind of miss the walking, talking comic  book characters from the past (Ultimate Warrior, Demolition, Road Warriors, old Undertaker and Kane, ect) as opposed to the no more kayfabe, we are people playing roles take on things now.

I usually have Monday Night RAW on as background noise while on the computer. I too miss the "Attitude Era" of the WWE with performers like Stone Cold Steve Austin (bedpan to Vince's head FTW), The Undertaker as the American Bad Ass and my favorite group DX. I still go on YouTube and watch DX videos because they're just so entertaining.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:55:24 PM by Zathras »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe