Author Topic: Need a Spanish translation  (Read 529 times)

Offline ChuckJ

Need a Spanish translation
« on: April 02, 2021, 11:22:17 AM »
My sister-in-law runs a charity thrift store whose proceeds goes toward funding a food bank. My wife has been helping her doing some cleanup and rearranging.

I tend to be a bit leery of a lot of charities, but this one has impressed me. Everyone who works there does so voluntarily so all of the proceeds (except for a portion for upkeep) goes to what it’s intend for. All of the clothes are a quarter. Most other things are less than $5. Plus, if a family has a disaster (like a home fire) they let the family come in and get whatever they need for no charge.

They’ve recently had a problem with theft. Both shoplifting in the building and people stealing donated items from the donation box outside. My wife asked me to make them a sign that both thanked people and addressed the theft and I came up with this:

If you are a customer we'd like to say THANK YOU and that we sincerely appreciate your patronage.

If you have donated to us we'd like to say THANK YOU and that we sincerely appreciate your donation.

If you are here to STEAL we don't really appreciate that so much because you are taking from good people who are actually in need and who, despite their situation, has integrity. Something you apparently lack; however, if you truly have a need AND you talk to us, we may still be able to help you without you committing a criminal (and rude and uncaring) act.

They were satisfied with that but asked if I could also translate it into Spanish because they have a good number of Spanish speakers both donating and shopping. Even though I took two years of Spanish in high school I’m basically only fluent in telling someone that I can’t speak Spanish. I know I could just run it thru Google Translate, but I’m not sure how accurate that is in translating something from English into conversational Spanish. If any of you guys who speak the language fluently could provide a translation it would be much appreciated.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
Re: Need a Spanish translation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:14:34 PM »
I am currently teaching myself Spanish and have been for almost a year. I don't know if I can help, but I would be willing to try...

Si es un cliente, nos gustaría darle las GRACIAS y que apreciamos sinceramente su patrocinio.

Si nos ha donado, nos gustaría darle las GRACIAS y que le agradecemos sinceramente su donación.

Si estás aquí para ROBAR, realmente no lo apreciamos tanto porque estás tomando de buenas personas que están realmente necesitadas y que, a pesar de su situación, tienen integridad. Algo que aparentemente te falta; sin embargo, si realmente tiene una necesidad Y habla con nosotros, es posible que aún podamos ayudarlo sin que cometa un acto criminal (y grosero e indiferente).
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline ChuckJ

Re: Need a Spanish translation
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 09:32:09 AM »
I am currently teaching myself Spanish and have been for almost a year. I don't know if I can help, but I would be willing to try...

Thanks. I actually had an excellent Spanish teacher. Unfortunately, at the time she didn't have a very good student.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe