Author Topic: Anyone here play "Valheim"?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Anyone here play "Valheim"?
« on: March 15, 2021, 08:58:00 AM »
I know this tends to be an older crowd, but I thought I would ask.

If you're looking for a good seed try: uYQV4bI3gB

It has a massive starting continent with swamp and plains biomes on the north end of the starting continent; and tons of burial chambers. I harvested 29 cores in my first 3 chambers.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

Re: Anyone here play "Valheim"?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »
I tried using the babelfish translator and I still didn't understand what that was. :old:

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 09:45:12 AM »
Haven't played it yet, if at all... even though aren't many new titles to play right now. 

The music is awesome.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 10:26:54 AM »
I tried using the babelfish translator and I still didn't understand what that was. :old:

Valheim is an open world game, meaning: once you enter the game world, you can run to wherever you want and do whatever you want. It's set in one of the many worlds of the afterlife from Norse mythology.

Every world is differently because they are procedurally generated, using complex computer formulas to generate the layout of the terrain. That process begins by using a "seed."

Each world has various biomes - types of terrain - such as Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Plains, Mountains, and Oceans. Each biome has its own set of flora and fauna (the "bio" in "biome"); many of the latter of which want to kill you.

In addition to the kill or be killed aspect, players can harvest resources from the various biomes. These are used to build weapons, armor, potions, etc.

There is also the building aspect of the game.

Oh, the building aspect of the game.

Considering the game only gives you a few dozens shapes of various materials, you can do quite a bit. I've built a dock to park my longship. The dock has a number of green-flamed torches that serve as piloting lights. I have a bonfire at the end of a jetty to serve as a lighthouse. I also built a warehouse, smithy, a farm with crops and a sty for tamed boar, and - of course - a Viking longhouse. You can even use the game physics to your advantage. I built a set of 4 kilns in a raised platform. Beneath each set of 2 was a ramp. The ramps angle towards each other so when the kilns drop the coal they produce it rolls down the ramps into a central bin for easier collection.

Basically, when I'm tired of getting my ass kicked by the critters in the latest biome I just chill building-up my Viking village.

Overview of the game: https://youtu.be/9OP3pxFVYOw

An example of what some people (not me) are able to build: https://youtu.be/gUa-nT2DuI8

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 06:30:23 PM »
Jeezus. I still play a 1993 version of Castle Wolfenstein, a first person shooter. That's as complex as I wanna get. Anything more than that makes my head hurt.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »
I know this tends to be an older crowd, but I thought I would ask.

If you're looking for a good seed try: uYQV4bI3gB

It has a massive starting continent with swamp and plains biomes on the north end of the starting continent; and tons of burial chambers. I harvested 29 cores in my first 3 chambers.

Not yet. I'm too busy playing the demo for Outriders prepping for the game's release. If you're wondering why I'm doing this it's because we'll be able to transfer our characters from the demo to the live game. There are 10 Legendary weapons available in the demo that will also transfer over to the live game with our characters so I've been Boss farming to collect those.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 08:06:18 PM »
Jeezus. I still play a 1993 version of Castle Wolfenstein, a first person shooter. That's as complex as I wanna get. Anything more than that makes my head hurt.

This you?

:-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »

I stopped playing many video games when they went 3D and open world.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 08:22:51 PM »
Not yet. I'm too busy playing the demo for Outriders prepping for the game's release. If you're wondering why I'm doing this it's because we'll be able to transfer our characters from the demo to the live game. There are 10 Legendary weapons available in the demo that will also transfer over to the live game with our characters so I've been Boss farming to collect those.

noice

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
This you?

:-)

'lectricity is the stuff that Ben Franklin captured in that bottle during a thunderstorm, right? I remember it like yesterday.....That stunt knocked him on his ass, the goofball.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 10:17:19 AM »
Haven't played it yet, if at all... even though aren't many new titles to play right now. 

The music is awesome.

Holla at me if you start playing.