Author Topic: NPR Ends Analyst’s Contract After Comments on Muslims  (Read 12376 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Airwolf

Re: NPR Ends Analyst’s Contract After Comments on Muslims
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »
Either Defund NPR or they need to look at firing the ones responsable for this.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »
National Politburo Radio should be defunded.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline cavegal

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2010, 06:23:26 PM »
NPR CEO: Juan Williams’ Views Should Stay Between Himself And “His Psychiatrist”

Classy.

Did ya hear the part where one of 'em said God would get him, and he or one of his kids might contact AIDS?????

Class act over there at NPR!

And to think, we're funding these asshats! How ****ed up is that?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline true_blood

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
NPR:  Talk radio for Progressives By Progressives funded by everyone.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
'I was fired for telling the truth'

Yesterday NPR fired me for telling the truth. The truth is that I worry when I am getting on an airplane and see people dressed in garb that identifies them first and foremost as Muslims.

This is not a bigoted statement. It is a statement of my feelings, my fears after the terrorist attacks of 9/11 by radical Muslims. In a debate with Bill O’Reilly I revealed my fears to set up the case for not making rash judgments about people of any faith. I pointed out that the Atlanta Olympic bomber — as well as Timothy McVeigh and the people who protest against gay rights at military funerals — are Christians but we journalists don’t identify them by their religion.

And I made it clear that all Americans have to be careful not to let fears lead to violation of anyone’s constitutional rights, be it to build a mosque, carry the Koran or drive a New York cab without fear having your throat slashed. Bill and I argued after I said he has to take care in the way he talks about the 9/11 attacks so as not to provoke bigotry.

(more...)
The Daily Caller
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »
Williams was on O'Reilly tonight....

I'm watching the repeat of it now...so far, Williams has been on, Karl Rove, and now Laura Ingraham ... all talking about it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »
The Daily Caller

Big surprise! The left jumps the gun again!

It's becoming a habit! They need to lay off them drugs!

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2010, 01:05:33 AM »
It should be noted that the Council for American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) sent around a press release on Wednesday afternoon. CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad called for action against Williams: "Such irresponsible and inflammatory comments would not be tolerated if they targeted any other racial, ethnic or religious minority, and they should not pass without action by NPR." The New York Times somehow omitted CAIR from its Juan-is-gone story.

He He He - bunch of SCRUNTS!!

The left self-immolating, yummy....
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2010, 01:20:26 AM »
He He He - bunch of SCRUNTS!!

The left self-immolating, yummy....

The world truly has turned upside down when we let an organization dictate to a federally funded program!

What am I sayin'????????

Pull the funding from these pukes! Not only are they takin' money from the world's biggest leftist, Soros, they are lettin' an outside political organization, hell bent on destroying our way of life, dictate what they do!

WTF is wrong with our government?????????

Already one Repub has stood up and called for their defunding! Ya think anyone else will have the balls????

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2010, 06:55:37 AM »
The world truly has turned upside down when we let an organization dictate to a federally funded program!

What am I sayin'????????

Pull the funding from these pukes! Not only are they takin' money from the world's biggest leftist, Soros, they are lettin' an outside political organization, hell bent on destroying our way of life, dictate what they do!

WTF is wrong with our government?????????

Already one Repub has stood up and called for their defunding! Ya think anyone else will have the balls????

Pull funding from NPR? Ain't gonna happen -- ever.

NPR, like tons and tons of other government-supported programs, has wormed its way into American culture to the point that cutting it is unthinkable. We have allowed our Congress-shits to throw money at all manner of programs and have convinced ourselves that we just can't live without Bob Edwards (even though he's retired) and "All Things Considered".

The thing that offends the hell out of me is when I happen to be radio-surfing and I hear the local NPR station begging for money.

Asshats.  :bird:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline canuckian

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »
The left is becoming more aggressive at shutting down free speech, this is only one instance.  Take a look at George S. and his manipulation of the media.

Just this week, Mark Steyn's appearance in London, Ontario was cancelled because of Muslim complaints, then there's the U.S. org. Avaaz attempting to shut down a proposed conservative news channel, the march against opposing dissent is chilling.   

Is there an area here for links and articles exposing the left wing attacks on free speech and intolerance towards opposing views ?

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2010, 08:38:31 AM »
I miss Fox, but this new Juan Williams News Channel isn't bad.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »
NPR CEO: Juan Williams’ Views Should Stay Between Himself And “His Psychiatrist”

What's her DU name?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
The following is an internal memo sent on behalf of NPR President and CEO Vivian Schiller:

Dear AREPS,

Thank you for all of your varying feedback on the Juan Williams situation. Let me offer some further clarification about why we terminated his contract early.

First, a critical distinction has been lost in this debate. NPR News analysts have a distinctive role and set of responsibilities. This is a very different role than that of a commentator or columnist. News analysts may not take personal public positions on controversial issues; doing so undermines their credibility as analysts, and that’s what’s happened in this situation. As you all well know, we offer views of all kinds on your air every day, but those views are expressed by those we interview – not our reporters and analysts.

Second, this isn’t the first time we have had serious concerns about some of Juan’s public comments. Despite many conversations and warnings over the years, Juan has continued to violate this principal.

Third, these specific comments (and others made in the past), are inconsistent with NPR’s ethics code, which applies to all journalists (including contracted analysts):

“In appearing on TV or other media . . . NPR journalists should not express views they would not air in their role as an NPR journalist. They should not participate in shows . . . that encourage punditry and speculation rather than fact-based analysis.”

More fundamentally, “In appearing on TV or other media including electronic Web-based forums, NPR journalists should not express views they would not air in their role as an NPR journalist.”

Unfortunately, Juan’s comments on Fox violated our standards as well as our values and offended many in doing so.

We’re profoundly sorry that this happened during fundraising week. Juan’s comments were made Monday night and we did not feel it would be responsible to delay this action.

This was a tough decision and we appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Vivian

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/21/raw-data-npr-internal-memo-juan-williams/

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
Unfortunately, Juan’s comments on Fox violated our standards as well as our values and offended many in doing so.

Oh really?

I think [Sen. Jesse Helms] ought to be worried about what's going on in the Good Lord's mind, because if there is retributive justice, he'll get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will get it.
- Nina Totenberg

"The evaporation of four million people who believe this crap [the Rapture] would leave the world an instantly better place."
- Andre Codrescu

I think there's a big difference when people told Father Aristide to sort of moderate his views, they were concerned about people being dragged through the streets, killed and necklaced. I don't think that is what Newt Gingrich has in mind. I think he's looking at a more scientific, a more civil way of lynching people.
- Sunni Khalid

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lachlan-markay/2010/10/21/nprs-glaring-double-standards-beg-question-juan-williams-next-shirle

All three quotes come from NPR journalists.  None were fired or reprimanded for their iffensive coments that SHOULD violate any news organizations "standards as well as our values"

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »
Still no admission that CAIR demanded appropriate action, which is a thinly-veiled insistance that Williams be fired.

Asshat.  :loser:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
A news analyst can not analyse the news without some personal beliefs helping to form that analysis. The bitch is just trying to cover her ass.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2010, 09:40:57 AM »
A news analyst can not analyse the news without some personal beliefs helping to form that analysis. The bitch is just trying to cover her ass.

I think it's more that we're seeing that they truly hate any form of thought other than Liberal/DU echo chamber stuff.  We like to think that only DU has these crazy "one point of view" beliefs and that no one outside the DUmp...certianly not in any positions of power would believe that crap.

That is until you read this part of Juan's Op/Ed on the FNC website:

This self-reverential attitude was on display several years ago when NPR asked me to help them get an interview with President George W. Bush. I have longstanding relationships with some of the key players in his White House due to my years as a political writer at The Washington Post.

Later on the 50th anniversary of the Little Rock crisis President Bush offered to do an NPR interview with me about race relations in America. NPR management refused to take the interview on the grounds that the White House offered it to me and not their other correspondents and hosts. One NPR executive implied I was in the administration’s pocket, which is a joke, and there was no other reason to offer me the interview. Gee, I guess NPR news executives never read my bestselling history of the civil rights movement “Eyes on the Prize – America’s Civil Rights Years,” or my highly acclaimed biography “Thurgood Marshall –American Revolutionary.” I guess they never noticed that "ENOUGH," my last book on the state of black leadership in America, found a place on the New York Times bestseller list.

This all led to NPR demanding that I either agree to let them control my appearances on Fox News and my writings or sign a new contract that removed me from their staff but allowed me to continue working as a news analyst with an office at NPR. The idea was that they would be insulated against anything I said or wrote outside of NPR because they could say that I was not a staff member. What happened is that they immediately began to cut my salary and diminish my on-air role. This week when I pointed out that they had forced me to sign a contract that gave them distance from my commentary outside of NPR I was cut off, ignored and fired.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/10/21/juan-williams-npr-fired-truth-muslim-garb-airplane-oreilly-ellen-weiss-bush/

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »
-- Last week, Newsbusters, a conservative media watchdog group, claimed that NPR's "Fresh Air" spent most of its hour insinuating that the Republican Party was dangerously infested with extremists.

NPR's Terry Gross hosted Princeton professor Sean Wilentz, who has written that President George W. Bush practiced "a radicalized version of Reaganism," Newsbusters' Tom Graham wrote.

"Can you think of another time in American history when there have been as many people running for Congress who seem to be on the extreme?" Gross asked, according to Graham.

"Not running for Congress, no," Wilentz replied. "I mean even back in the '50s."

-- NPR issued an apology in 2005 for a commentator's remark on the return of Christ following a complaint by the Christian Coalition that the comment was anti-Christian.

On "All Things Considered," the network's afternoon drive-time program, humorist Andrei Codrescu said that the "evaporation of 4 million [people] who believe" in the doctrine of Rapture "would leave the world a better place."

Codrescu, who was on contract with NPR but not a full-time employee, later told The Associated Press he was sorry for the language, but "not for what [he] said."

NPR apologized for the comment, saying, it "crossed a line of taste and tolerance" and was an inappropriate attempt at humor.

-- Also in 2005, NPR apologized to Mark Levin, author of "Men in Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America," after a broadcast of its program "Day to Day" falsely accused him of advocating violence against judges. Levin accepted the apology, but said the broadcast was "illustrative of a smear campaign launched by the Left to try and silence" his criticisms of judicial activism.

-- In 2002, the head of NPR issued an apology six months after a report linking anthrax-laced letters to a Christian conservative organization.

-- Also in 2002, during an interview with the Philadelphia City Paper, NPR host Tavis Smiley said he strived to do a show that is "authentically black," but not "too black."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/21/brief-history-nprs-intolerance-imbalance/?cmpid=prn_baynote-js_A_Brief_History_of_NPRs_Intolerance_and_Imbalance

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
I don't think this is really about juan williams.  I don't even think it's ultimately about the liberal fascists at NPR.  I think it's about the jihad that the obama administration declared on fox news last october.  fox news has obviously gotten in the heads of the President himself, and all of his minions.  it was absolutely (to borrow the President's favorite word) "unprecedented" for the white house to officially declare open hostilities against a news organization.  and it was an official act;  it wasn't just that hack axelrod that questioned their honesty and integrity, it was chief of staff rahm emanuel and white house communications director anita dunn, and even the President himself.

"the fish rots from the top", michael dukakis famously said.  the Holy Obamites set the tone, encouraged hostilities, declared them to be partisan head hunters, and declared open season in them.  this warped even further the already twisted minds on the extreme left and the in the halls of the MSM.  it was enabling behavior.  think about it;  the President of the United States of America is saying crap in public that, as recently as 4 or 5 years ago, was only spoken by the whackos at places like DU.

the President's attack on fox was a declaration of war on free speech;  the juan williams episode is just a battle in that war.  and it was unspoken encouragement to his followers to give word and deed to the most irrational paranoid impulses of the liberal mind.

that is what happened yesterday.  there is more going here than just juan williams.  the paranoid obamite impulse is eroding our individual liberties.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2010, 10:59:21 AM »
Interesting observation, WE. Definitely food for thought and I tend to agree that you're correct.

But it's difficult to connect the dots between Fox and Williams except to the point that Williams made his comment on O'Reilly's show.

If Obama is waging jihad on Fox, it seems to me all he accomplished was to put all this drama between Williams and NPR out there in the open where the bad guy - NPR - is being tried, judged, and executed in the court of public opinion.

So is Obama actually limiting our liberties? Not so much in this case - Williams has been all over TV-land and the innerwebz of late - and, as his op-ed indicates, there is definitely evidence as to the left-wind bias that NPR has -- which has never been a secret anyway.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
I'm surprised the President hasn't actually commented on this yet.