Author Topic: snobbish primitive inquires about electric log-splitter  (Read 1012 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
snobbish primitive inquires about electric log-splitter
« on: August 23, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=268x1220

Oh my.

I'm staying off Skins's island for a couple of days, until the tumult over Barry "Goldwater" Obama picking the hair-transplated guy as his running mate dies down, and besides, there's the Democrat National Convention to get rested up for.

But I couldn't help myself, sort of; this is an old bonfire in the rural forum on Skins's island, but it's still burning.

uppityperson  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Dec-09-07 09:49 PM
Original message

Has anyone ever used an electric log splitter? Advice?

I'm looking at Northern Tool's http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/p... and ToolCenter's http://www.toolcenter.com/Electric_Log_Splitter_65556.h...

Has anyone ever used one or have any advice (beyond be safe), like brands to check out or avoid? Thanks from people with tendonitis and a bad back.

Well, I dunno.  For background, the snobbish primitive, a femme, lives in a rural area near or around Seattle, Washington, and wears hearing-aids.  She runs a business out of her home, data-entrying medical records or something like that.  Late middle-aged, married.  Always complains of lack of money, but manages to run down to Mexico every so often for fun and slave-labor dental work.  Expressed much concern about what "our government" was going to do to "us" after 9-11, than about what the terrorists were going to do.

Actually, this is a pretty big bonfire; I didn't know a thing about electric log-splitters until now.

rurallib  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Dec-09-07 09:53 PM
Response to Original message

1. Guy I used to work with nearly lost his hand

The old don't stick your hand in while it is running bit.

Long time ago. All I rmember is he thought it was jammed and KABOOM the ram came through. IIRC he lost the tip of his finger.

Edit to add - looks like there has been some safety upgrades. I am sure my workmate wasn't the only one.

uppityperson  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Dec-09-07 10:07 PM
Response to Reply #1

8. The new ones need 2 hands to run.

Could probably override the safety bit, but don't think I would. I've worked ER in a rural area.

tekisui  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Dec-09-07 09:53 PM

2. Stay out of the way.

If you do get a jam or any problem, turn it off.

uppityperson  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Dec-09-07 10:01 PM
Response to Reply #2

5. We are safety nuts here. Clearing jams, being careful is our motto

that and have fun. I guess putting home made firecrackers between a log and the base would be a bad idea. Actually we are very safe, just tired and sore and looking to figure out how to chop wood without hurting ourselves.

classof56  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Dec-09-07 10:00 PM

3. Don't want to be an alarmist, but...

A classmate of my daughters' in high school lost a leg using one of those. My spouse has used one with no problems, though, but neither had tendonitis or a bad back. Considering the issues I have with minor manouevers because of my bad back, I'd say maybe it would be better to maybe pay a few bucks for someone to do the log splitting for you. Whatever you decide, just take care and be safe!

And on it goes, most primitives talking about how dangerous log-splitters are.  And then an update:

uppityperson  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Feb-20-08 03:29 PM

35. Update, bought a 4 ton one and it is great!

$250, and hoping it will last a few yrs. We put it on the tailgate of the truck to get it high enough, and it splits most everything without pain. Rather than whacking 4 times to get a big log split, it chops pieces off the sides, getting down to a smaller piece. Since we have really cheap wood available, it will pay. MrUP came in to tell me he bent 1 bar seeing how big/knarly he could put through, argh. Of course MrUP also said he is having the problem of splitting to small since it's fun to use. But it is all good and now we can split a bunch in an hour on the weekend and have wood for the whole week.

Who was it who said one can warm himself twice with wood?--once by chopping it, and then by burning it.

The snobbish primitive could actually halve her wood bill.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
Re: snobbish primitive inquires about electric log-splitter
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »
Electric log splitter? Known the DUmmies they'd prolly cord caught when they were splittin a log and electrocute themselves...Why not just get a gas powered one? I don't see how an electric one would have enough power to split a big log...
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline tuolumnejim

Re: snobbish primitive inquires about electric log-splitter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »
I've seen these POS's advertised and I never thought anyone would buy one. Around here we burn a good bit of wood and the smaller splitters I've used are 27 ton units, and some of those are a bit on the wimpy side, a little electric splitter wouldn't last a day here.
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson