Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 12730 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 08:06:10 PM »
I might have to deal with that.  There's my step-mother's might-be-gay-but-nobody-can-tell daughter or the wife's grand-daughter from another marriage they adopted that has two mentally retarded parents and serious behavior issues.  But I miss my dad and I'll willingly put up with all that crap to see him again. :(

Do you get beer? 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »
Probably not since I would have to drive to their house and back and they don't drink.  I might get a glass of wine or two.

At least the granddaughter is past the screaming meemies stage.  I think.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »
Haaaa!!  Not sure if it was named after the Watergate hotel, Nixon favorite, or something else entirely.
Oh my gosh- it's so good! I'm not normally one for 70s style jello salads, but this one is different. It has the following:

dry pistachio pudding
cool whip
pecans
pineapple
we sub sour cream for part of the cool whip to cut the sweet.
Make it the day before so the flavors have time to develop.

If you want to make it, let me know. I'll send you the recipe I use.  This is what it looks like:

http://images.media-allrecipes.com//site/allrecipes/area/community/userphoto/big/207646.jpg
That looks good. Could you send me the recipe? I cannot cook now a days, but plan too someday soon!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline cavegal

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »
The cooking wouldn't bother me so much, if that was all I had to deal with.  The screaming children push me over the edge.  
What I do when the noise in the room is out of control. One I put earplugs in, the kind you buy for shooting. I put it in my good ear. The other thing I do is take my mP3 player and put it in a pocket, put the earphone in one ear and listen to replays of talk radio. No one seems to notice that. I can still hear but not as much.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline debk

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2010, 08:53:09 PM »
We're doing Thanksgiving here this year.. at the "begging" request of my daughter....just us, son, daughter, son-in-law and the grandbabies (almost 4 and just turned one) and a friend of my son's who's family lives in Maine. Planning on eating around 6:30.

Daughter and her crew are going to her husband's family for huge Thanksgiving lunch at 1. So we decided we would have favorites that we wanted for leftovers.... :-)

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes  (Yukon Golds, butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, Emeril's original seasoning)
Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Steamed Broccoli with lemon butter sauce
Romaine lettuce with red onion, chopped apple, dried cranberries, candied pecans w a strawberry vinegrette.
Sister Schubert rolls
Pumpkin Pie w cinnamon whipped cream
Turtle Cheesecake.

I still stuff the turkey. I have a turkey roaster oven that I cook it in and it's wonderful. Turkey comes out really moist.

I usually buy about a 22 pounder that has the butter injected.

I saute chopped onion and celery and slice mushrooms in 3 sticks of butter, add parsley, and a bit of chopped garlic, sage, thyme, pepper. I heat up 3 cans of chicken broth....I like Swanson's and add a bit of chicken bouillion granules to it while heating. Add all that to 2 bags of Pepperidge Farm stuffing cubes. Adjust the seasonings, adding salt if needed. More melted butter and/or chicken broth if needed.

M stuffs the bird, and the leftover goes into a casserole dish to bake. I add more butter under the skin of the turkey, and rub more all over the top and the legs, sprinkle with some paprika.

It cooks much faster in the turkey roaster, use the drippings for the base of my gravy. I cook the neck and "nasty" parts in chicken broth for several hours, strain off the liquid and add it to the drippings, along with the slivers of neck meat.

None of us really like sweet potatoes or cranberries, so they are off the menu.  :-)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »
All 26 of my family (11 immediate family, 10 grandkids, 5 spouses). Should be loud, and we all are making homemade dishes this year. Still haven't decided what I am making.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
Thanksgiiving is with wife's family. (Christmas is with  mine)

This year, we don't have to fix anything, but expect to have roasted turkey, baked ham, Dirty Rice (rice dressing), green beans with new potatoes, potato salad, oyster gumbo, prolly duck stew, potato salad, various desserts... and lots of great fellowship and fun...
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2010, 06:45:31 AM »
The cooking wouldn't bother me so much, if that was all I had to deal with.  The screaming children push me over the edge.  

That's the thing that drives me nuts, too.

Kids should be seen and not heard.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
Cavegal- here you go.

watergate salad
1-20 oz can crushed pineapple (don't drain)
1 (3.4 oz) pkg pistachio pudding
1 c. mini marshmallows
1/2 c. chopped pecans
6 oz cool whip
3 oz sour cream

Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl until well blended.  Add cool whip and sour cream.  Mix well, but don't over stir once you add cool whip/sour cream (should be fluffy). Refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

The original recipe doesn't call for sour cream, but my family makes it this way because the other is a bit too sweet.

Recipe can be doubled.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »
Cavegal- here you go.

watergate salad
1-20 oz can crushed pineapple (don't drain)
1 (3.4 oz) pkg pistachio pudding
1 c. mini marshmallows
1/2 c. chopped pecans
6 oz cool whip
3 oz sour cream

Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl until well blended.  Add cool whip and sour cream.  Mix well, but don't over stir once you add cool whip/sour cream (should be fluffy). Refrigerate a few hours or overnight.

The original recipe doesn't call for sour cream, but my family makes it this way because the other is a bit too sweet.

Recipe can be doubled.

Thank you!

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »