Author Topic: Comfort foods  (Read 9867 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Comfort foods
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
I looked it up.  Funny I never really thought about the Black Irish before.

Black Irish is a traditional term sometimes used among Irish American communities to describe other people of Irish descent with dark brown or black hair, in contrast to their fairer haired brethren who are often stereotypically perceived as having a distinct Irish look.[1][not in citation given]
The term 'Black Irish' is ambiguous. People in different times and places have used it for separate reasons.[citation needed] Opinions also vary in regard to what is perceived as the usual physical characteristics of the so-called black Irish: e.g., dark hair, brown eyes, and medium skin tone; or dark hair, blue or green eyes, and fair skin tone.
More recently, genetic studies have provided new insights into the heritage of Irish people as well as their neighbors from the British Isles. Researchers suggest that migrations from Prehistoric Iberia can be viewed as the primary source for their genetic material, having demonstrated marked similarities with modern representatives of the aforementioned time period in that of the Basque people. Proponents of these findings dismiss the influence of better known historic migrations of Roman, Anglo-Saxon, and Norman invaders as having had a lesser impact on overall genetics of the populations.[citation needed]

Offline debk

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 11:28:55 AM »
I ask because my mom's side of the family is 100% German (so is my husband) and her grandma said that she ate it as a child as well. I figured it was a German thing. I love carbs.    :p

I'm German, Danish, Swedish  and Irish (what my grandma called black Irish, I don't even know what that is).  Guess I should look that up. My dad looks like he has Indian (american) in him but my grandma would never admit it. I also think we have a some Asian in the woodpile somewhere. My paternal great grandma's (my dads mom's mom) eyes had a very Asian look. My brother (the one who died), as well as me and two of my kids have similar eyes. My two kids more so than me. My disease is an auto immune disease that mainly affects women of Asian descent.  Another thing my grandma would never admit if it were true. My paternal grandpa looked very Swiss/Danish, he was quite handsome.    

Ex is Dutch and Irish. His family goes way back in Nebraska ( a grandfather was the 3rd governor of the state) and he was the one who grew up eating chicken and noodles on mashed potatoes. I make chicken and noodles the way my mother did and her mother.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »
A potato,ham and cheese casserole or a big pot of spaghetti with crushed red pepper in the sauce.

Offline soleil

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 06:57:17 PM »
chicken-n-dumplin's, chicken potpie, country fried steak and gravy-- mashed taters with same gravy, spaghetti, fried chicken and all the fixin's. Man I could go on. Basically good ole southern cookin (minus the sketti).

Offline soleil

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
Anything fried is comfort and add corn bread

I could live on cornbread, but it can't be the sweet kind. If it tastes like cake, it is done wrong!!  :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 07:21:38 PM »
I could live on cornbread, but it can't be the sweet kind. If it tastes like cake, it is done wrong!!  :-)

Hot cornbread generously smeared with real butter, topped off with a ladle or two full of ham and beans.

Offline soleil

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
Hot cornbread generously smeared with real butter, topped off with a ladle or two full of ham and beans.

Oh yeah, that is some good stuff. Sometimes I just make pinto beans and cornbread for supper. I flavor the beans with bacon fat. Sometimes I use a hamhock, but I have to buy those specifically for such. MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! The cornbread is the perfect food to sop up those bean juices.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »
:bird:

I like cornbread muffins (the sweet kind).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »

Oh I love Texas cornbread that has honey mixed in it. I also like it other ways too. 

Offline soleil

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
:bird:

I like cornbread muffins (the sweet kind).

Well, you are missing out!!!  :p The best of the best of the best cornbread isn't sweet. It is put in a cast iron skillet that has been warming up in the oven with some grease in it. That gives it its crispy golden brown "crust". And it is buttery! Man, I need to go make some. I could live off of some good cornbread. In fact, I am pretty sure I already said that!  :-)

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »
My favorite comfort food dinner is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and lima beans.  Lima beans might seem like an odd choice, but my mother had a way of preparing them that just made me swoon.  One of my biggest regrets is that I never asked her how she did it.  They came out creamy and very soft, but not mushy.  I've tried to duplicate her success, and the last couple of times I think I found the right approach.  I put them in the pot with just enough water to cover, then boil them for at least 30 minutes, adding a little bit of water here and there if they look dry.  Once they look like they're starting to get nice and soft I add some butter and lots of pepper, then lower the heat and let them bubble away until I see that they're getting that creamy texture I love so much.  Sometimes I throw in a little chopped ham at the end.  I like the results I've gotten so far, but I'll keep tinkering with them until they're perfect. 
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 12:00:47 AM »
My favorite comfort food dinner is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and lima beans.  Lima beans might seem like an odd choice, but my mother had a way of preparing them that just made me swoon.  One of my biggest regrets is that I never asked her how she did it.  They came out creamy and very soft, but not mushy.  I've tried to duplicate her success, and the last couple of times I think I found the right approach.  I put them in the pot with just enough water to cover, then boil them for at least 30 minutes, adding a little bit of water here and there if they look dry.  Once they look like they're starting to get nice and soft I add some butter and lots of pepper, then lower the heat and let them bubble away until I see that they're getting that creamy texture I love so much.  Sometimes I throw in a little chopped ham at the end.  I like the results I've gotten so far, but I'll keep tinkering with them until they're perfect. 

I use frozen lima beans (usually baby limas) , add in a little water, salt, pepper, onion, garlic & butter. Bring them to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for approx 20-30 mins.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 02:11:45 PM »
Oh I love Texas cornbread that has honey mixed in it. I also like it other ways too. 

Thats how I do cornbread (Jiffy mix).   :drool:

B&G is my favorite made with Bisquick biscuits. They must be covered in Peppered Country Gravy(Southwestern Mills is the best) with scrambled eggs on top. I usually add ground sage or poultry seasoning to the gravy (just a dash).
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 03:33:11 PM »
Pot Roast with taters, gravy, carrots and onions ...... and potato chips (not necessarily at the same time) and, of course:

CHOCOLATE!
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 03:35:06 PM »

B&G is my favorite made with Bisquick biscuits. They must be covered in Peppered Country Gravy(Southwestern Mills is the best) with scrambled eggs on top. I usually add ground sage or poultry seasoning to the gravy (just a dash).

I use Jiffy mix, add in some Bisquick and some brown sugar. I also add in extra milk and an extra egg (a total of three) I get nothing but compliments on my cornbread and it doesn't last very long.

Wineslob, YGBSM....... you don't make your own gravy??  I can't stand packaged gravy mixes. I just make my own. It's REALLY easy...  I can eat the hell out of some  biscuits and sausage gravy :yum:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »

You BUY premade gravy?   :ohnoes:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
I use frozen lima beans (usually baby limas) , add in a little water, salt, pepper, onion, garlic & butter. Bring them to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for approx 20-30 mins.

I use the frozen baby limas too.  Never tried them with garlic and onion, though.  I think I'll try them next time.
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »

Oh No WS.  What have you done?  Never, evah cop to using storebought gravy here.......why that is just like saying you don't like BACON!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »
I use the frozen baby limas too.  Never tried them with garlic and onion, though.  I think I'll try them next time.

Mom and Grandma were from Louisiana. Damned near everything (cooked meat or veggies) I ever ate had onions & garlic in it

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2010, 04:15:28 PM »
I use Jiffy mix, add in some Bisquick and some brown sugar. I also add in extra milk and an extra egg (a total of three) I get nothing but compliments on my cornbread and it doesn't last very long.

Wineslob, YGBSM....... you don't make your own gravy??  I can't stand packaged gravy mixes. I just make my own. It's REALLY easy...  I can eat the hell out of some  biscuits and sausage gravy :yum:

I agree, most are terrible. However gravy is NOT my forte. I have never been able to make a decent pan gravy, I've tried.....trust me. The Southwestern Mills is the best and eaisest.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »

Easy, easy gal .. *fanning Deb and helping her over to a chair* 

WS,  you've got to becareful sayin stuff like that around our Deb ... she's the magical cooking mama and must be protected!
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2010, 08:53:58 AM »
I'm going to post a gravy recipe in the recipe section.

Offline debk

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
When I first started making gravy....30 some years ago....it could have been used for wallpaper paste!!!! Nasty nasty stuff.

Just have to keep trying...once you get the "knack" of it...it's really easy.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »
It's too easy to just mix up the powdered MIX with water and bring to a boil, in 5 mins. YA, POWDERED GRAVY MIX,  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Thor, (your post) thats the recipe I know well. Mine comes out like shit. I gave up. The MIX I like is really, really good.

:evillaugh:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 10:51:43 AM »
Oh No WS.  What have you done?  Never, evah cop to using storebought gravy here.......why that is just like saying you don't like BACON!

that sounds suspiciously like a closet endorsement for store-bought gravy.

Tots, I'll be watching you.  :nunchuck: 
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.