Author Topic: how do you cook hot dogs.?  (Read 11785 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: how do you cook hot dogs.?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »
Well alrighty then!    :-)

Tots, I dusted off that TV tray. Made of stamped aluminum and one leg is shorter than the others, but it's yours if you want it.

No charge.  :evillaugh:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
Tots, I dusted off that TV tray. Made of stamped aluminum and one leg is shorter than the others, but it's yours if you want it.

No charge.  :evillaugh:

:tongue:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »
Not by me. I do 'em that way, too.

The Germans (arguably THE wurst experts in the world) are almost obsessive about cooking/grilling brats so quickly that they split. It's bad ju-ju. They just don't like it.

So to reduce that likelihood, it's quite okay to gently simmer the brats preferably in beer (and I toss in onion, too) till the point they're almost done, then finish them on the grill with higher heat.

Must be the German in me!! I can grill a bratwurst on the grill without splitting the casing. Low and slow. A little patience is all it takes. (And tongs ONLY!!) When one boils ANY meat product in ANY substance, they remove much of the natural flavor. I have little patience for anyone that boils their "meat".  I guess I'll cook up some brats  next time you're through here. (W/ Bavarian style sauerkraut!!) How's that fit your "bun"??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 09:55:41 PM »
Must be the German in me!! I can grill a bratwurst on the grill without splitting the casing. Low and slow. A little patience is all it takes. (And tongs ONLY!!) When one boils ANY meat product in ANY substance, they remove much of the natural flavor. I have little patience for anyone that boils their "meat".  I guess I'll cook up some brats  next time you're through here. (W/ Bavarian style sauerkraut!!) How's that fit your "bun"??

You didn't hear me say anything about boiling. Slow simmer. It works. Try it sometime.

And as far as "boiling" any kind of meat, how do you prepare a stew? Or even chili? Gotta braise that stuff, which means a slow simmer.

Beer is optional.  :tongue:

Offline JLO

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »

And as far as "boiling" any kind of meat, how do you prepare a stew? Or even chili? Gotta braise that stuff, which means a slow simmer.

Believe it or not - we found a way to use up leftover T-Bone or Porterhouse steaks.  I mean, come on,  a 1# steak for 2 people?  Overkill big time. 

Make chili!  Just made today.

Canned tomatoes, green chilies, a mix of fresh other chilies of any kind you have, onions, the leftover meat cut it cubes, add Mexican spices and----cook for awhile - delish. 
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 09:00:46 AM »
Eupher, I was referring to any meat that one puts on the grill.........   :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

quit picking nits........  :tongue:

I usually make my chili from leftovers that were grilled and/ or smoked. I've heard of people boiling chicken & ribs before grilling. Might as well eat cardboard w/ BBQ sauce on it. For the record, a slow simmer also removes  flavor, so there !!  :tongue: :fuelfire:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »
Eupher, I was referring to any meat that one puts on the grill.........   :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

quit picking nits........  :tongue:

I usually make my chili from leftovers that were grilled and/ or smoked. I've heard of people boiling chicken & ribs before grilling. Might as well eat cardboard w/ BBQ sauce on it. For the record, a slow simmer also removes  flavor, so there !!  :tongue: :fuelfire:

I don't agree about the flavor thing, but if that's your method, hey it's your grill. There are lots of things you can do with liquid to bolster flavor, and nobody's ever complained about my brats or anything else I've cooked that way.

Ever cook for a living? I have...... :fuelfire: 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Oh my. 

:ashamed:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 09:08:01 AM »
I don't agree about the flavor thing, but if that's your method, hey it's your grill. There are lots of things you can do with liquid to bolster flavor, and nobody's ever complained about my brats or anything else I've cooked that way.

Ever cook for a living? I have...... :fuelfire: 

Yeah, for the Army!!  ::) We ALL know how good Army chow is......... (NOT!!)  :fuelfire:

I'll match MY brats against yours ANY day!! ::throws down the gauntlet::   :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »
Yeah, for the Army!!  ::) We ALL know how good Army chow is......... (NOT!!)  :fuelfire:

I'll match MY brats against yours ANY day!! ::throws down the gauntlet::   :-)

The Army AND other places, my good man.

Consider your gauntlet retrieved. Your ass is MINE.   :evillaugh: 

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
The Army AND other places, my good man.

Consider your gauntlet retrieved. Your ass is MINE.   :evillaugh:  
I didn't know that Jack in the Box counts as a "professional cook"??? .......... :stirpot:   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline debk

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
Ahem...I simmer country ribs in water for a good half hour, before I put them in the crock pot or oven with bbq sauce. I don't want all that greasey melted fat in them.

They are very tender, falling off the bone, lots of flavor...and reallllly good according to those eating them!  :tongue:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »
Ahem...I simmer country ribs in water for a good half hour, before I put them in the crock pot or oven with bbq sauce. I don't want all that greasey melted fat in them.

They are very tender, falling off the bone, lots of flavor...and reallllly good according to those eating them!  :tongue:

When PROPERLY grilled &/or smoked, ribs, too, can be tender, falling off the bone & yummier........ I don't seem to have a problem with the "grease" as most of it cooks out. Damned Yankees.........  :fuelfire:

You won't see any GOOD BBQ restaurants IN KC doing that kind of crap!! Just sayin'.........

Offline debk

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
When PROPERLY grilled &/or smoked, ribs, too, can be tender, falling off the bone & yummier........ I don't seem to have a problem with the "grease" as most of it cooks out. Damned Yankees.........  :fuelfire:

You won't see any GOOD BBQ restaurants IN KC doing that kind of crap!! Just sayin'.........

Yeah...I guess one in KC would think an Iowan is a Yankee.... ::)

and those up there in MN...are Eskimos.

:-*
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »

Yeah...I guess one in KC would think an Iowan is a Yankee.... ::)

and those up there in MN...are Eskimos.

:-*

Well, we ALL know what IOWA means........ (Idiots Out Wandering Around)   :-)  I thought you were from Sillinois or Nebraska .........

Offline debk

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
Well, we ALL know what IOWA means........ (Idiots Out Wandering Around)   :-)  I thought you were from Sillinois or Nebraska .........

Born and lived in IL until 5, then to SD for 2 yrs, IA for 5, back to IL for HS and college, then to NE for 3 yrs. Definitely a Midwesterner. I just happened to end up in the south for the last 33 years.  :(

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
I've YET to meet a Midwesterner that can do a decent BBQ...... I mean, come on, they think that "ketchup" is a "spice"........   :fuelfire:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
I didn't know that Jack in the Box counts as a "professional cook"??? .......... :stirpot:   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Nope, didn't do that one. Or Mickey D's. Or Burger Puke. Or any other number of fast food joints.

But even if I'd had, I still would've been paid to prepare food.

And besides your self-taught skills (which are considerable, but not professional), where was it you cooked again? [Crickets....]

:rotf:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
Nope, didn't do that one. Or Mickey D's. Or Burger Puke. Or any other number of fast food joints.

But even if I'd had, I still would've been paid to prepare food.

And besides your self-taught skills (which are considerable, but not professional), where was it you cooked again? [Crickets....]

:rotf:

OK, if you want to play THAT game, hash slinger.........

And, if you MUST know, I started cooking at age seven and have been paid to cater some parties during my teenage years..... OOOPS!! I guess that makes me a "professional"......... :tongue: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Besides, I NEVER claimed to be a "Chef". Quite honestly, Army Cooking School doesn't quite compare to the CIA, IMHO.

Offline debk

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »
Where'd Eupher go ?? ::crickets::

Offline debk

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
Here.  I'll share. 

:cheers1:

Thanks!   :-)

Isn't it fun to watch children playing so well with others?   :fuelfire:  

:tongue:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
OK, if you want to play THAT game, hash slinger.........

And, if you MUST know, I started cooking at age seven and have been paid to cater some parties during my teenage years..... OOOPS!! I guess that makes me a "professional"......... :tongue: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Besides, I NEVER claimed to be a "Chef". Quite honestly, Army Cooking School doesn't quite compare to the CIA, IMHO.

Hmmm. That's another thing I've never done -- sling hash. Care to enlighten me as to what that is since you know so much about it?    :uhsure:          

I've also never claimed to be a chef. That's relegated for those guys in the stovepipe white hats and the starched white coats who scream a lot.  :-)

In all honesty, Army cooking school didn't teach me squat. It was basically nothing more than slave labor for the dining facilities of the training brigade at Ft. Jackson. My education came later when I worked with mostly civilians who taught me some of the finer points of food preparation. (I got pretty good at sauces.) I guess those evenings of tenderloin and lobster on Monday nights were a bit removed from "hash" (still don't know what that stuff is...    :uhsure:      ), along with the night baking I did for awhile.

So, in essence, I think I'm a cook with a fair amount of good experience in a professional setting. I don't do it for a living anymore, but when I did, I worked with professionals who insisted that I treat the job the same way.

As I civilian, or better said both in and out of uniform, I worked in some family-type restaurants. Not bad, but it wasn't the kind of cooking that I saw in the Army.

Hell, it was either that or go in the Navy and work on helicopters....... :tongue:

:cheersmate:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
oh yeah ?  I bet that you drink Budweiser, too .........  :tongue: :fuelfire: