Author Topic: how do you cook hot dogs.?  (Read 11784 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
how do you cook hot dogs.?
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
How strange how our past memories can bust out of the box our brain has placed in in for years.

My Mom fried pork chops that came out black on both sides.

One day on a sleep over with a friend that lived on a farm I watched her Mother cook the chops, and for the life of me hamburgers in a fry pan with a couple inches of water.

My friends Mom added garlic and spices to the water and cooked them for about a few minutes on each side.

She then removed them to the grill to finish cooking.    WOW, I had never seen that done before or after but the meat was GOOD.

So as memory's came flooding back from no reason, I decided to cook hot dogs that way.

How do you cook hot dogs,   I take spices and bring the water to a boil, turn off the heat then add the dogs.  Cover and wait about 15 minutes then remove them.   Cool in the refrigerator about an hour then grill just for the grill marks.

Lately I saw a cooking show that had close to my method but left out the refrigeration step.

What is your recipe for cooking the dogs?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: how do you cook hot dogs.?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
That is a good idea.  Similar to how I cook brats.  With Brats, I boil them in beer and onion, till cooked, and then put them on the grill to sear. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline kenth

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »
Wood chunk charcoal or gas grill with wood chips on low heat. Put the dogs on indirect heat and slowly heat them up, about 10-15 minutes.

What beer you use for brats? We usually use Miller GD, but we had some old Grolsch last time and they were amazing with it.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
Wood chunk charcoal or gas grill with wood chips on low heat. Put the dogs on indirect heat and slowly heat them up, about 10-15 minutes.

What beer you use for brats? We usually use Miller GD, but we had some old Grolsch last time and they were amazing with it.

I usually use "crap beer"  Anything people drop off that is left over, like the lights....Coors, Bud, Miller, Keystone, just to get rid of them.  But, I have used Shiner, Spaten, and Becks before.  I don't think I could do a Sierra Nevada that way though.  I would have to go buy a 40. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:09:24 AM »
That is a good idea.  Similar to how I cook brats.  With Brats, I boil them in beer and onion, till cooked, and then put them on the grill to sear. 

Marry me.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »

Marry me.

Only if you build me a table.   :tongue:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
Stainless steel OK?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
Stainless steel OK?

I was thinking birdseye maple.   :-)

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »
I was thinking birdseye maple.   :-)

I'll do a hardwood with marble top...
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »
Tots, uh......I gotta TV tray around here somewhere........

:tongue:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
Tots, uh......I gotta TV tray around here somewhere........

:tongue:

Hardee har har.  I will cook both of ya some brats, no TV tray or stainless table needed.  There ain't enough tables in the world to get me to get married again!   :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 03:37:58 PM »
Hardee har har.  I will cook both of ya some brats, no TV tray or stainless table needed.  There ain't enough tables in the world to get me to get married again!    :-)

Said the spider to the fly....... :evillaugh:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
Said the spider to the fly....... :evillaugh:

Ha.  I ain't lie. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »
In butter... It has to be real butter.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:11:38 PM »
You? 

:naughty:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »
On a stick over an open fire. 

My wife and went fishing one time and took a small portable grill, hotdogs and some buns. It turned out to be kind of cool that night, so we had a fire going on the lakeshore, so I grabbed a couple of sticks and cooked hotdogs that way. She had never had them any way but cooked on a stove or on a grill. I still tell her she had a deprived childhood.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »

Otherwise, how to ruin a GOOD bratwurst.......  :hammer: :hammer:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 07:34:46 PM »
Your basic dogs?

Score them slightly diagonally on all sides.  Grill on high heat so a nice char forms, but scores will cause dogs to "split" and heat the inside sufficiently as well.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »
In butter... It has to be real butter.

Sauteed in butter that are slightly burned. .

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »
Grill them till they are done
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »
Has anyone else cooked one by sticking it on a fork and cooking it over the burner on the stove?

Offline debk

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 02:54:59 PM »
Has anyone else cooked one by sticking it on a fork and cooking it over the burner on the stove?

not for years and years...but I do remember doing this!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 03:01:52 PM »
not for years and years...but I do remember doing this!

I still do it once in awhile. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »
Otherwise, how to ruin a GOOD bratwurst.......  :hammer: :hammer:

Not by me. I do 'em that way, too.

The Germans (arguably THE wurst experts in the world) are almost obsessive about cooking/grilling brats so quickly that they split. It's bad ju-ju. They just don't like it.

So to reduce that likelihood, it's quite okay to gently simmer the brats preferably in beer (and I toss in onion, too) till the point they're almost done, then finish them on the grill with higher heat.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 04:19:47 PM »
Not by me. I do 'em that way, too.

The Germans (arguably THE wurst experts in the world) are almost obsessive about cooking/grilling brats so quickly that they split. It's bad ju-ju. They just don't like it.

So to reduce that likelihood, it's quite okay to gently simmer the brats preferably in beer (and I toss in onion, too) till the point they're almost done, then finish them on the grill with higher heat.

Well alrighty then!    :-)