Author Topic: Baked Oatmeal  (Read 6274 times)

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
Baked Oatmeal
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »
I made Crispy Baked Oatmeal for breakfast, and it was super....got the recipe from my favorite site, Taste of Home....There are several variationns of this recipe but this is the one I made....Served it warm with milk.....as it cools I see it is like a granola bar, so you could stick some in a baggie for the kids to munch on.....http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Crispy-Baked-Oatmeal

Also another recipe I have made a lot from this site, is Chocolate Oatmeal cake...Sounds gross, but it is fantastic...Very moist, very easy to make, and it never sticks around long at our house....http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cake

Enjoy

"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Baked Oatmeal
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 09:19:33 AM »
I love oatmeal in just about any configuration, but it's got to be the old-fashioned kind (like the first recipe).

It's the kind of vegetable protein that goes a long, long way -- real stick-to-your-ribs stuff.

I like my breakfast oatmeal to have just a hint of nutmeg and about a tablespoon of real maple syrup. No extra sugar, chocolate, or coconut.

I can see how those granola bars would not stick around long, either.

Great stuff, Gramma!
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »
You must be a picky eater...I also saw I think it was you, don't like fish...Right??? LOL...We like fresh fish. And love shrimp, lobster, and scallops..LOL.

I don't care for oatmeal that much, but can tolerate it fixed in stuff....The baked has cinnamon but nutmeg would be great also....The cake?? It is almost like a German Chocolate type, don't really know the oats are in it..I am not a chocolate lover either, but this cake is super moist and good..We did enoy the change for our breakfast this a.m.....I also saw recipes on the sight for a moister type baked oatmeal, and I might try that next, with nutmeg and maple...If it has a maple flavor it's gotta be good.... :-) :-)
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
I love oatmeal with apples and cinnamon.  Someone I work with puts ham in his.  I think that is gross.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:38:44 AM »
One could easily add apples to this recipe, but they would have to be cooked because it only bakes for 22 mins....But oh yes, apples and cinnamon would be good...NOT on the ham....YUCK...Why ruin two perfectly good food items?? :hammer:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
You must be a picky eater...I also saw I think it was you, don't like fish...Right??? LOL...We like fresh fish. And love shrimp, lobster, and scallops..LOL.

I don't care for oatmeal that much, but can tolerate it fixed in stuff....The baked has cinnamon but nutmeg would be great also....The cake?? It is almost like a German Chocolate type, don't really know the oats are in it..I am not a chocolate lover either, but this cake is super moist and good..We did enoy the change for our breakfast this a.m.....I also saw recipes on the sight for a moister type baked oatmeal, and I might try that next, with nutmeg and maple...If it has a maple flavor it's gotta be good.... :-) :-)

I wouldn't call myself a picky eater at all -- I just don't like seafood. Certain veggies I'm not fond of, like brussels sprouts. Damn things stink. Asparagus and okra, no thanks. Most of my veggies I prefer raw, not cooked. And I never met a piece of fruit in my life that I didn't like. Organ meats, no thanks, but I'll eat the hell out of some dirty rice.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
 Sorry didn't mean to irritate you with the picky eater phrase...was joking....

We love Brussel Sprouts, and yes they are stinky, but good. Could eat a ton of fresh asparagus, but not canned or frozen.even our little dog loves them....Okra, NO WAY.....I love carrots, hubby won't go near one, and will pick the little slivers out of a salad...He is not a fruit eater,I am like you, never found a fruit I didn't like...Peach's being the favorite.....I love Tx Fruit especially....Grapefruit being the best in the world, and Oranges next best thing to heaven....I am not a big meat eater can take it or leave it...Definately no organ meat.....Hubby would if I let him....LOL..We do love seafood, lots of ppl don't.....Have a sailor friend that wouldn't touch any kind at all.....Now here is the kicker....My hubby nor I either one eat CHICKEN....He can if he is starving, I would starve...AND I can hear everyone yelliing, YOU DON'T eat CHICKEN?? NOPE...Not on bet...So I am like you with fish....

But back to oatmeal....LOL..

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »
pssssstttt.....Grama~  I don't eat chicken either.  Maybe like 3 times a year, if I can't get out of it, and am really hungry.  :-)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:20:15 AM »
Sorry didn't mean to irritate you with the picky eater phrase...was joking....

We love Brussel Sprouts, and yes they are stinky, but good. Could eat a ton of fresh asparagus, but not canned or frozen.even our little dog loves them....Okra, NO WAY.....I love carrots, hubby won't go near one, and will pick the little slivers out of a salad...He is not a fruit eater,I am like you, never found a fruit I didn't like...Peach's being the favorite.....I love Tx Fruit especially....Grapefruit being the best in the world, and Oranges next best thing to heaven....I am not a big meat eater can take it or leave it...Definately no organ meat.....Hubby would if I let him....LOL..We do love seafood, lots of ppl don't.....Have a sailor friend that wouldn't touch any kind at all.....Now here is the kicker....My hubby nor I either one eat CHICKEN....He can if he is starving, I would starve...AND I can hear everyone yelliing, YOU DON'T eat CHICKEN?? NOPE...Not on bet...So I am like you with fish....

But back to oatmeal....LOL..

It's too damned cold for me to be irritated, Gramma. [shivers]

Now I can get down with some chicken....and turkey. Love poultry of all types. Duck is kinda greasy and it's dark meat, but I can handle it.

Anyway, back to oatmeal. I don't like to cook it to death, even the old-fashioned type. Just cook long enough to hydrate and not much more. Texture is good.

Horses know a good grain when they see one.

I just might strap on the oatmeal feed bag when I get home in about an hour....

:-)

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
pssssstttt.....Grama~  I don't eat chicken either.  Maybe like 3 times a year, if I can't get out of it, and am really hungry.  :-)

Thank the Lord I am not alone on the chicken...Your doin bettern me...I wouldn't eat it 3 times a yr even....I have tried it over the yrs, in many different ways....It gets in my mouth, and seems to just keep growing and growing into a big ball until I gag...YUCK.....LOL..But thanks for helping me not feel so alone... :cheersmate:

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 10:29:44 AM »
It's too damned cold for me to be irritated, Gramma. [shivers]

Now I can get down with some chicken....and turkey. Love poultry of all types. Duck is kinda greasy and it's dark meat, but I can handle it.

Anyway, back to oatmeal. I don't like to cook it to death, even the old-fashioned type. Just cook long enough to hydrate and not much more. Texture is good.

Horses know a good grain when they see one.

I just might strap on the oatmeal feed bag when I get home in about an hour....

It is too danged cold here too...But I don't want to irritate anybody on here, so I need to watch what i say, at least until ppl know me and I know them better....I came off of a very very contraversial forum where one had to defend themselves everytime they open their mouths, so I am leary...But stick with me, I really am a good gentle old lady....LOL.

All of the poultry you mentioned is a yuck in our house.It is fowl after all....LOL..strange thing, my grown children, and all grandkids live on the birds,none related to us.....LOL...I cooked it for them when they were home.....

I am with you on the cooking of the oatmeal...Won't order it in a restaurant, it is always cooked to death and slimey....

have a great day, do stay warm if you can....Be well, be safe....

:-)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:25 AM »
Back to Oatmeal, no chicken thank you.  Do either of you eat the steel-cut oats?  They have more of a shell/husk thing and need to be cooked longer than the old fashioned oats.  I like them from time to time, to be a little different.  You get the good taste of the oatmeal, and none of the gummieness that sometimes happens.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
Back to Oatmeal, no chicken thank you.  Do either of you eat the steel-cut oats?  They have more of a shell/husk thing and need to be cooked longer than the old fashioned oats.  I like them from time to time, to be a little different.  You get the good taste of the oatmeal, and none of the gummieness that sometimes happens.

Nope, haven't tried the steel-cut oats. Sounds like horse food, actually, but I'm sure there is a lot of fiber.

Fiber's a good thing. Nature's broom.  :lmao:

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »

I have long time ago....around here not that much of that kind of stuff...About 20 miles away we can get it....Also love Irish Oatmeal...Now may have to drive the distance to get some, made me hungry....LOL...To me the oatmeal we can get, QUAKER, just has not got a good flavor..

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:53 AM »
I love oats, over here rolled oats are the standard variety (which are the same as steel cut oats).  For porridge in this cold weather I like to make them this way for a quick breakfast:

1/3 cup oats
1 cup water

microwave (on high) in a large bowl for 1 1/2 minutes, then stir well and microwave again for a minute or so. Exact timings depend on your microwave (mine is 1000 W).

Then add flavorings to choice, I like to add 1 teaspoon salted butter and some Splenda, you may prefer sugar and a little milk, or raisins. Some fat eg milk or butter is needed  otherwise it tastes rather 'thin' but using water does give a satisfying hot breakfast with fewer calories that traditional milk based porridge.

And this is my favourite granola recipe ever:  http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=216

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
Just saw this thread!

My step-grandmother made the best oatmeal cake I have ever had!

I did not get her recipe, though I found one probably 30 years ago that tastes the same. It does not have chocolate in it, but does have the german-chocolate cake frosting on it. It's made in a 9x13.

I've been wanting to make something sweet the last couple of days, as all that's left from Christmas is homemade candy.....and this would be something different!

Thanks Grama!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »
Just saw this thread!

My step-grandmother made the best oatmeal cake I have ever had!

I did not get her recipe, though I found one probably 30 years ago that tastes the same. It does not have chocolate in it, but does have the german-chocolate cake frosting on it. It's made in a 9x13.

I've been wanting to make something sweet the last couple of days, as all that's left from Christmas is homemade candy.....and this would be something different!

Thanks Grama!

Your so very welcome...Do let me know how you like it, and tell me, what your recipe is without the chocolate in it ok?? If you recall, I am not a big choc lover, so anything unchocolate suits me....

Offline debk

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 11:12:32 AM »
Your so very welcome...Do let me know how you like it, and tell me, what your recipe is without the chocolate in it ok?? If you recall, I am not a big choc lover, so anything unchocolate suits me....

I'll post it for you later, ok?

check the bread pudding recipe I posted.... :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
I'll post it for you later, ok?

check the bread pudding recipe I posted.... :drool:

Ok....