Author Topic: Farm Raised Seafood  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Farm Raised Seafood
« on: May 15, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »
Unless it's raised in the USA........hell no

Check you labels and countries of origin people. 

You can get just swimming within a day anywhere in this country shipped straight to your door.

Pretty much the only thing farm raised I eat is oysters and they're not really farm raised.

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Farm Raised Seafood
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:25 PM »
 :cheersmate:

Exactly!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline cavegal

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
I noticed a week ago some seafood I bought was from Canada.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
The worst is when you see crawfish tails.  In a grocery store in Texas, with a Cajun name on it, and you turn it over.....PRODUCT OF CHINA!   :banghead:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline cavegal

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:02:43 PM »
I see this more and more. I thought this new Hope and Change was going to bring jobs here?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
The worst is when you see crawfish tails.  In a grocery store in Texas, with a Cajun name on it, and you turn it over.....PRODUCT OF CHINA!   :banghead:

Most of those shrimp, crawfish, etc. farms serve a dual purpose over there as a rudimentary, sewage-treatment pool also.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »
Most of those shrimp, crawfish, etc. farms serve a dual purpose over there as a rudimentary, sewage-treatment pool also.

Doesn't surprise me.  Especially when it costs $5.00 more for a pound of tail (crawfish) to come from Louisiana to Texas, vs. China to Texas. 

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
Doesn't surprise me.  Especially when it costs $5.00 more for a pound of tail (crawfish) to come from Louisiana to Texas, vs. China to Texas. 

I usually get 8-12 count heads on shrimp between 2.50 to 5.00 per pound right off the boat.  That crap from overseas is about the same price and was raised in a cesspool.

The sad thing is that with new regulations farm raised crap will become more prolific than local or US wild caught. :banghead:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
I usually get 8-12 count heads on shrimp between 2.50 to 5.00 per pound right off the boat.  That crap from overseas is about the same price and was raised in a cesspool.

The sad thing is that with new regulations farm raised crap will become more prolific than local or US wild caught. :banghead:

I agree completely!  And, let me tell you, I am very conscious of where I buy my seafood.  And, since I am landlocked, I WILL spend the money, or go without.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »

Surprise, the crawfish may have come from Lousiana but the owners of the company are registered to China.--So that cray is considered a product of China where ever it is caught.

A trawler that is based in California but is registered to Argentina, their catch will be labled as product Of Argentina.

The fishing industry is under a different agency then the rest of our food products.

In other words, the fish is considered a product of the country that registers the boat or company.

Farmed fish is indeed nasty,  pens that should hold 3,000 fish need hundreds of pounds of antibiotics to keep the disease from over crowding at bay.  These fish never get to eat natural food from the oceans they eat pellets of Lord knows what.

We have to dye Salmon pink that are farmed as they on their diet are a dull gray, something is missing in the diet  from a free caught Salmon.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »
Surprise, the crawfish may have come from Lousiana but the owners of the company are registered to China.--So that cray is considered a product of China where ever it is caught.

A trawler that is based in California but is registered to Argentina, their catch will be labled as product Of Argentina.

The fishing industry is under a different agency then the rest of our food products.

In other words, the fish is considered a product of the country that registers the boat or company.

Farmed fish is indeed nasty,  pens that should hold 3,000 fish need hundreds of pounds of antibiotics to keep the disease from over crowding at bay.  These fish never get to eat natural food from the oceans they eat pellets of Lord knows what.

We have to dye Salmon pink that are farmed as they on their diet are a dull gray, something is missing in the diet  from a free caught Salmon.

Vesta, you old fishwife you, did you ever work for Booth?  I forget.   Got some frozen shrimp fried rice at Hannaford's.  The shrimp was farm raised in Thiland. Who knows where the rice was raised.  It actually tasted pretty good for frozen stuff.  But not as good a what you get at Peking Express takeout. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 03:15:48 PM »

Vesta you're about as full of shit as a Thailand shrimp pond.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 03:39:27 PM »
Vesta, you old fishwife you, did you ever work for Booth?  I forget.   Got some frozen shrimp fried rice at Hannaford's.  The shrimp was farm raised in Thiland. Who knows where the rice was raised.  It actually tasted pretty good for frozen stuff.  But not as good a what you get at Peking Express takeout. 

BINGO--22 years under 2 other company  names.  Never Booth.

Actually do you remember why KFC in Portsmouth had to close down.?

From what I remember they were soaking chicken in bleach and water to remove the smell of spoiled meat. Then there were the 2 resturants in down town Portsmouth that got close to shut down for some of the most ragious conditions in their kitchens.

Hubby loves the Peking Express,  true the helpings are very large, but I have know people that have at times worked there and I can make the same thing at home for 1/2 the cost and not worry about yesterdays left overs being in my dinner today.

Fish wife, no way, my family were poor folk, more like River Rats. We were so poor we had to eat the lobsters that were so plentiful they were at waters edge back then, clams and oysters that we dug from the mud.

I have some very old pictures of my family home with an acre full of poles and string drying fish to be salted for winter.

I am not so sure what a fish wife is, but I marvel at how my ancestors survived as River Rats.

All those Lampery eels we caught in traps, and if lucky the stripers that ran up the river, not to mention the Stergeon  that once were plentiful.

Zeit, at least you did not call me a sewing machine.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 03:42:45 PM »
Vesta you're about as full of shit as a Thailand shrimp pond.

Excuse me Mr. Horse but I would like to know how you have come to your conclusion that I am off base here.?

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
Excuse me Mr. Horse but I would like to know how you have come to your conclusion that I am off base here.?

The fact is what you stated is so far from the truth.  I would like to know where you think you're on base and not (actually) in left field.

What you have stated on how COOL (Country of Origin Labeling) is done is in the same category as a cess pool.

OH bullshit............the only way that crawdad is considered a product of China is if it's raised in China or sent from Louisiana back to China to be processed

Again........why so much of the bovine defecation???  No that catch will be labeled a product of the US of A if caught in US waters, or caught and processed on US flagged vessel.  What you have stated is so far from the truth

WTF VESTA.................the fishing industry on COOL is under and directed by the FDA........what other f'n agency handles food products???

:thatsright: I just give up.  The truth will set you free vesta

Wow a tiny bit of truth and for farm raised seafood to carry the USA label, it must be hatched, raised, harvested and processed in the USA.  So I guess that all that shrimp and fish raised in Belize on Red Lobster farms is a product of USA since a US company owns it according to you vesta

Yeah and they cold smoke tuna to look red .......do you know what color fresh tuna is? how bout a fresh sea scallop?

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 06:09:34 AM »
The fact is what you stated is so far from the truth.  I would like to know where you think you're on base and not (actually) in left field.

What you have stated on how COOL (Country of Origin Labeling) is done is in the same category as a cess pool.

The department of commerce is in charge of the fish that is brought into this country. 

WTF VESTA.................the fishing industry on COOL is under and directed by the FDA........what other f'n agency handles food products???

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 07:14:22 AM »
The department of commerce is in charge of the fish that is brought into this country. 

Directly from GAO

More than 80 percent of the seafood that Americans consume is imported. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for ensuring that imported seafood is safe and produced under sanitation and safety systems comparable to those of the United States.

Where is the Department of Commerce involved in that.......now if you're meaning NMFS that's part of NOAA under the Department of Commerce as who regulates the fishing in the US of A, then you are correct, though they are not responsible for imported seafood.

NMFS is the regulatory side of fishing

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 08:41:25 AM »
Directly from GAO

Where is the Department of Commerce involved in that.......now if you're meaning NMFS that's part of NOAA under the Department of Commerce as who regulates the fishing in the US of A, then you are correct, though they are not responsible for imported seafood.

NMFS is the regulatory side of fishing

HMMMMMMMMMMM   At the processing plant I spent 2 decades at there was an on site Department of Commerse person who over saw everything from examining fish before it left the train { I have seen up to 5 train loads rejected}  checking the temps in the freezers, taking swabs of surfaces the the fish came in contact with for bacteria.   They worked in lock step with QA ---Every hour a sample of the fish was cooked up and tasted, examined for color, and texture.    These people were on the look out as to the uniforms, hair nets and gloves of the workers.   They stood watch to insure everyone coming in contact with the product at any stage dipped their gloves in an Iodine mixture before stepping one foot onto the production floor.

They review the records of the team leaders about the temp. of the finished product, made sure the boxes or bags of finished products was correct, weighed at 2 stages, counts ,weights and temp. was done every 30 minutes.

Then there was the the checking of the packaging material to insure that if the product was coated that the ingredients in the coating was as stated on the label.

To top all this off we have when we processed Kosher fish we had a Rabi watching everything like a hawk.

In my knowledge  the FDA, EVER, NEVER did any inspecting.

On a side note, the Alaskin wild caught fish came in in cartons with the name of the ship that caught them.  I sent out a email thank you and Merry Xmas to the Captain and crew.   They answered back with the names of the crew and were very surprised to have a stranger from so far away even give a though to them on the high seas at Xmas.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »
HMMMMMMMMMMM   At the processing plant I spent 2 decades at there was an on site Department of Commerse person who over saw everything from examining fish before it left the train { I have seen up to 5 train loads rejected}  checking the temps in the freezers, taking swabs of surfaces the the fish came in contact with for bacteria.   They worked in lock step with QA ---Every hour a sample of the fish was cooked up and tasted, examined for color, and texture.    These people were on the look out as to the uniforms, hair nets and gloves of the workers.   They stood watch to insure everyone coming in contact with the product at any stage dipped their gloves in an Iodine mixture before stepping one foot onto the production floor.

They review the records of the team leaders about the temp. of the finished product, made sure the boxes or bags of finished products was correct, weighed at 2 stages, counts ,weights and temp. was done every 30 minutes.

Then there was the the checking of the packaging material to insure that if the product was coated that the ingredients in the coating was as stated on the label.

To top all this off we have when we processed Kosher fish we had a Rabi watching everything like a hawk.

In my knowledge  the FDA, EVER, NEVER did any inspecting.

On a side note, the Alaskin wild caught fish came in in cartons with the name of the ship that caught them.  I sent out a email thank you and Merry Xmas to the Captain and crew.   They answered back with the names of the crew and were very surprised to have a stranger from so far away even give a though to them on the high seas at Xmas.

You're talking apples and oranges here Vesta.  Yes the Commerce Department has always checked and inspected our processing plants.  They however do not regulate and check the imports, unless they are going to be processed. 

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »
Ummm boy u wantta fry up some Catfish 'eh?  Watch the video at the link.  Viet Nam raised in the Mekong river water.  Yum, Yum.

Enjoy Vesta, enjoy.

Me, I only buy local Wild Caught flounder or haddock, never had catfish, never will.   Not a real big fish eater.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »

They are chewy and don't have the same taste as LA. China crawfish are bad.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 09:30:42 AM »
Ummm boy u wantta fry up some Catfish 'eh?  Watch the video at the link.  Viet Nam raised in the Mekong river water.  Yum, Yum.

Enjoy Vesta, enjoy.

Me, I only buy local Wild Caught flounder or haddock, never had catfish, never will.   Not a real big fish eater.

Zeit, I never had the pleasure of eating Cat Fish until I lived in Tenn.

I ended up at this shack south of Nashvile that had picknick tables outside and was doing a booming business.  Cat Fish fried with hush puppy's [ no onion added ] and slaw.

Wow, the fish was so good I was gulping it down until I was told that I needed to eat slower just in case a small bone had been over looked in the prep process.

Cat fish are bottom feeders as are Lobster and Dog Fish, that are usually thrown back.  Much depends on the preparation of these cleaners of the rivers and the deep sea.

I did meet one person in my life that refused to eat either Cat Fish or lobsters equating them to eating a Sea Gull or Buzzard.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »
They are chewy and don't have the same taste as LA. China crawfish are bad.

I will not eat them.  When the oil spill started, we had a run on Gulf Shrimp.  Stoopid sheep think that those shrimp are tainted, so the price went WAY down.  I have about 10 lbs left.  I bought like 25 originally.  So, it will be shrimp etouffee for me, not crawfish. 

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 06:19:41 PM »
I will not eat them.  When the oil spill started, we had a run on Gulf Shrimp.  Stoopid sheep think that those shrimp are tainted, so the price went WAY down.  I have about 10 lbs left.  I bought like 25 originally.  So, it will be shrimp etouffee for me, not crawfish. 

I like crawfish better because of the fat in the pound of crawfish tails which gives it a great flavor. I have an easy way of making a dish different from etouffee. I sautee the crawfish with a stick of butter and add cooked angel hair pasta. Fast, easy and tasty. Crawfish tails have shot up in price here also.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 06:28:09 PM »
Mheh.

I live right on the Great Barrier Reef. Prime eating fish are only a lure flick away.

Only farmed seafood I eat is Oysters and Salmon - both of which are made in country.

A friend has worked on a couple of different seafood farms and the product they produce is bland and silty.