Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 19469 times)

Offline Jenkz

• One Nation Under God
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: Fallout 3
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 08:11:42 AM »
I got to Rivet City by popping Rad meds and swimming down the Potomic River.  It takes next to no time to do it and you can't get attacked by anything but missile weapons and there were none of those.

Sounds like a good alternative to fighting 500 supermutants haha. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want
is strong enough to take everything you have."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 08:18:34 AM »
Sounds like a good alternative to fighting 500 supermutants haha. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

When you do it keep an eye out for intact structures along the shoreline.  When you find them sneak close and "Discover" them on your map.  Then you can fast travel to them at a later time when they come up in various side quests.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »
Was I supposed to kill the Overseer? Because, I did.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 05:12:07 PM »

The best, and easiest way to avoid the super mutants (until you are ready for a fight anyway) is to use the old subway system. there are stations all over, and some places are not accessible without using it.

There is a station that is right next to Rivet City.

Was I supposed to kill the Overseer? Because, I did.

I killed his sorry ass the first time I played through.  I don't think it makes a huge difference. Unless you are playing as an "evil" character, in which case it's highly recommended.

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »
Ha, so I've started to scan a bit of the guide that Asdf posted above, thanks for the link  :cheersmate:

Turns out I've missed some cool stuff along the way to where I am now  :thatsright:

Oh well, I've had fun  :cheersmate:

So do you guys ever reach a point where you're not constantly in need of bottle caps to repair gear and replenish ammo?  

If you do the freeform quests and spread your sales out over a few different merchants then you wind up sitting pretty.  I ignored the laser weapons and sold both them and the E-Cells as soon as they came in and it was a pretty penny.

Also there are certain sites that respawn villains, one of them being the overpass directly north of vault 101.  There is always a raider with a sniper rifle up there.  I go hit that for repair fodder if I can't find one anywhere else.

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 11:30:30 PM »
What's the purpose of spreading your sales out over a few different merchants?  I've had to do that, because I had more items to sell than they had bottle caps at any given city... but does it effect anything else? 

Nice, know any other good respawn places where good weapons are to be had?  I've been hitting deathclaws for xp a bit tonight, almost at level 12 over by Old Onery.  But really haven't found a good respawn spot for Talcon Mercs or Raiders with good loot.

Bingo on the first.

The Supermutant Trenches on the Washington Mall are good for miniguns, hunting rifles and missile launchers.  Snoopin and Poopin with a decent AP and using the VATS for concealed critical strikes makes it kind of a breeze.

Those are the only bad guy respawns with decent weapons I can think of offhand. 

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 12:15:49 AM »
I got my ass handed to me when I managed to follow a sewer pipe from near Wilhelm's Wharf into, and afterwards out of, Hubris Comics. I am in the SW quadrant now trying to schmooze my way into some of that Outlander gear and arms.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 12:42:27 AM »
http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/fallout-3/g-20070606111037562096

Another page with guides and this one has some video walkthroughs.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 04:46:11 AM »
You've already played through the game to the end? 

Yes, I followed the main quest path through and went further than I intended.

Now I'm going through doing my utmost to find and complete every quest.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »
The Talon Co. put a bounty on me and had some of its mercs try to collect on me when I was leaving Lucky's Shop. I was low on 5.56 ammo and shotgun shells too. They almost killed me. I had to use 12 stimpacks to kill all 3 of them.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »
so how has everyone designed there characters? 

My character is pretty much a "good" character, but, I don't hesitate to do evil deeds every so often to rapidly advance his wealth. I just vaporized anything that moved at Evergreen Mills, including, Smiling Jack. That is kind of my "base" now.

ETA: I focused my attributes on Lockpick, Medicine, Sm. Guns, Repair and Explosives.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:25:57 PM by Odin's Hand »

Offline Woody

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 01:03:17 PM »
so how has everyone designed there characters? 

Focused on Barter, Sneak, Shoot, Lockpick, and Repair.  Given a second opportunity, I'd go back and put more into Intelligence for more skill points.  And a point more Strength for more carrying capacity.
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »
Professor Casdin just got killed by a Raider while I was standing by Ft. Independence. I took his pass card and entered the building. They began to fire on me. I dispatched most of them with frags and the "Terrible Combat Shotgun" I looted off of Smiling Jack.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 03:42:39 PM »
My character is pretty much a "good" character, but, I don't hesitate to do evil deeds every so often to rapidly advance his wealth. I just vaporized anything that moved at Evergreen Mills, including, Smiling Jack. That is kind of my "base" now.

ETA: I focused my attributes on Lockpick, Medicine, Sm. Guns, Repair and Explosives.

That's pretty much the same as how I designed my character. I put a lot more into science so I could break into more computers and get more goodies tho. Now that Small Guns is maxed out I'm working to get Big Guns Maxed out.

I did the same thing at Evergreen Mills and at Paradise Falls. Picked off every slaver I could find. Gained Karma on a few of em too.

Favorite distance weapon is the Hunting Rifle (three successful head shots with that and all but the most hardy critter is dust), Favorite Close is the Cobat shotgun.

I'm experimenting with the Railway Rifle at the moment.

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »
I initially tagged Sneak, Small Guns and Lockpick.

I have got the ambush from hidden down to a fine art now and dumped as many perks into boosting criticals as I possibly could.

I am in the midst of rescuing Riley's rangers from a downtown DC hotel.

I have been sticking to the Xuanlong Assault Rifle, The Blackhawk and The Terrible Shotgun with the sniper rifle used a lot.  Lincoln's Repeater also rocks.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »
Has anyone else managed to pick up the Firelance. Great Weapon. Makes crispy enemies real fast.

Has very limited ammo supplies (unless I'm missing something really obvious) so should be preserved for emergency situations.

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »
Dude!

When you finish rescuing Reily's Rangers they give you your choice of a minigun that does slightly more damage or Ranger Battle Armor.

I took the armor.

Ranger Battle Armor 
Damage Reduction:39 
Weight:27
Effects:+5 Action Points, +1 LCK, +10 Small Guns 

One point less DR than Power Armor and fantastic bennies!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:18:32 PM by asdf2231 »

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 05:17:42 PM »
Incidentally, great resourse site here: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 06:59:56 PM »

BTW, anyone find the Lincoln picture at the monument?  I'm at a loss with where the poster is for that one.

It's in the lower level of the Museum of History along with about 15 feral ghouls and 4 "Glowing Ones".

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 04:53:34 PM »
Hey as a heads up to everybody...

When you go into Vault 82 to find the GECK there is a series of events that takes place at the end that will seperate you from your NPC's.

They can be found at the original locations that you recruited them in. (Jericho will be waiting at the crater where Megaton used to be if you blew the town)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »
Anyone else been up to Old Olney?

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »
Yep, I didn't really find much, but maybe a few skill books.  There is a vault just to the west of it, that I haven't explored yet.

Yep, all I found up there were Deathclaws on every corner.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »
There's some underground sections to explore there, I think I also found a unique suit of power armor called the medic there; wasn't anything special though.

Where are you at in the game?

Yeah, I cleared all of the tunnels and snagged everything, but, the Deathclaws respawn after a few days pass up there.

I am starting to infiltrate the D.C. city areas after already exploring every thing except the SE quadrant of the world map. I only have about 2 active, optional quests left that I haven't completed (Nuka Cola Challenge and rescue the kid from the Family).

ETA: Where in the hell is "The Family" located, BTW?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:26:15 PM by Odin's Hand »

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »
Yeah, I cleared all of the tunnels and snagged everything, but, the Deathclaws respawn after a few days pass up there.

I am starting to infiltrate the D.C. city areas after already exploring every thing except the SE quadrant of the world map. I only have about 2 active, optional quests left that I haven't completed (Nuka Cola Challenge and rescue the kid from the Family).

ETA: Where in the hell is "The Family" located, BTW?

I have seen so many posts on the Xbox Fallout 3 forums of people needing help on the Blood Ties Quest. Mostly people just need to know the location of The Family so I have written a summery (containing spoilers if you aren’t on this quest) explaining The Family’s location and how to get to them.

If you are not on this quest I suggest to not read what is about to follow:

Lucy West, of Megaton, has given you a quest to deliver a letter to her family in Arefu. Upon arriving you soon learn her parents are dead with bite marks on them and her brother is missing. After talking to Evan King and getting all the details of what could have happened he suggests that The Family, a group of vampire like beings, have taken Lucy’s brother and you must go and find them.

He gives you three locations to scope out. (A Metro Station, an Underground Hide-Away and a Drive-In Cinema).*These places will be indicated on your map. What you want to do is go to the  Metro Station location and go underground via. the subway like stairs. Once underground walk straight and then turn left at the first turn. You should be looking at a wall and a door will be on your right at the end. If you walk towards it a ghoul named Michael Masters will come out to greet you. 

Michael Masters has his own little side thing where you bring him Sugar Bombs and he will pay you bottle-caps for them. But anyway, go into the room where Michael Masters came from (There will be another ghoul in the room) and walk towards the back and go through the door that leads into a tinted green room where a few barrels of radioactive junk sits and a manhole cover is in front of it on the ground.

Open the manhole and go down and you will come out into the subway tunnels. Travel down the tunnels (Try to avoid the mines and bear traps and other dangerous obstacles along the way.) and you will eventually come across The Family’s lair.

The Family isn’t as evil as you may think. You will have the option to provide them with another alternative food source so they will stop attacking the town. You will also be able to get Lucy’s brother to return home if you let him read her letter. When you pick your alternative option for The Family you must go back to Arefu, talk to Evan about the alternative, travel back to The Family’s lair and tell them the proposal has been accepted, and the quest is complete.

http://kellysgameblog.wordpress.com/2008/10/29/fallout-3-blood-ties/

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »
Okay, thanks. Those 2 quests are completed and now it's time for "Project Purity".