Author Topic: Another Nail: NJ Dems Vote to Strip Union Rights  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Another Nail: NJ Dems Vote to Strip Union Rights
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 12:13:05 PM »
Bally, we're still a shade under 3k here on the edge of Atlantic county . . . praying we aren't reassessed as has been threatened

I can't tell you how many times we've been tempted to move to the southern part of the state for taxes alone.

BTW, I'm shocked you weren't re-assessed, I thought that was a state wide thing but I guess it wasn't. Lucky for you because the market has gotten so bad, ours was done at the height of the market UGH!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
Here's part of a transcript of Chris Christie from Piers Morgan's show:

MORGAN: One of your most famous residents recently who was complimentary and scathing about you in equal measure. And I won't say who it was. Where she was scathing when she said, if he believes so much in the education system in this state, why doesn't he send his children to a public school?

CHRISTIE: Well, that's none of her business. That's my choice, and my wife's choice. We happen to believe that a religious education is an important part of an overall education for our children. So, we've decided to send our children to Catholic school because we believe that.

It's no shot on the public schools. I'm a graduate of the public schools. My wife's a graduate of parochial schools.

When our child became 5 years old, I wanted him to go to public school. She wanted him to go to parochial school. All of our kids go to parochial school.

So, you can figure out who wields the power in the Christie household.

And so -- but I've come to agree with her that I think it's an important part of our children's growth as human beings. And so, we've made that choice.

But guess what? I still pay $38,000 a year in property taxes, most of which go to the public school system in my town. And we don't utilize it. And I don't complain about it because that's my responsibility as a citizen of my town and my state.

But then don't tell me that I can't be serious about public education because I don't send my children there. Every child is my responsibility in this state. And that's the kind of liberal know- nothing thinking that just drives me crazy.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »
Bandit  (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-16-11 04:51 PM
Response to Reply #6
10. Dollars

It's all about the dollars... We, you and I, and even the Unions just can't do what Wall Street and the bankers can do when it comes to giving money..The ONLY thing I have is my vote and they take that for granted... I have news for them.. If they act like Republicans then it makes no difference whether they win or a Republican wins..

Wall Street and bankers have their own union?

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
I can't tell you how many times we've been tempted to move to the southern part of the state for taxes alone.

BTW, I'm shocked you weren't re-assessed, I thought that was a state wide thing but I guess it wasn't. Lucky for you because the market has gotten so bad, ours was done at the height of the market UGH!

keeping our fingers crossed for sure! It's a 100 yr old house and is assessed very low so I know it's going to go up if they get around to doing it.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 03:20:44 PM »
keeping our fingers crossed for sure! It's a 100 yr old house and is assessed very low so I know it's going to go up if they get around to doing it.

In the reassessments in some parts of the northern part of the state people were actually penalized ie their taxes went up higher if they didn't do improvements to their home ie go to the towns enough and pay for permits to do upgrades on their homes, the newer the home and the more improvements done the lower the tax increase. Is that insane or what?

Offline Karin

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
If you care, there's a DUmp thread about Christie's "none of your business" comment.  I didn't read it, so I don't know if it's entertaining or not. 

GOBUCKS, I'm trying to think of a service you're missing out on that Carl, BSS and I enjoy.  Hmm.  Hmm.  Ummm.  Just looking in the phone book, we have:

Education Department of Vocational & Education Services for Individuals with Disabilities Office
Human Rights Division of AIDS Discrimination
Banking Department, Holocaust Claims Processing Office   (?)
Customer Relations, Mental Health Office    :lmao:
Public Service Department of Consumer Complaints  (bet they really care)
Emergency hotline for when the Power Company shuts you off for nonpayment
Consumer Education and Advocacy   (Buyer Beware.  Now cut this stupid program + staff)
Human Rights Division of Sex Discrimination

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
If you care, there's a DUmp thread about Christie's "none of your business" comment.  I didn't read it, so I don't know if it's entertaining or not. 

GOBUCKS, I'm trying to think of a service you're missing out on that Carl, BSS and I enjoy.  Hmm.  Hmm.  Ummm.  Just looking in the phone book, we have:

Education Department of Vocational & Education Services for Individuals with Disabilities Office
Consumer Education and Advocacy   (Buyer Beware.  Now cut this stupid program + staff)

Add catsmtrods and possibly FreeBorn to that list of those who also "enjoy" those services.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 06:08:07 PM »

Thank You! reading it now and will post!

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »

See? Far as I know, we don't get any of that good stuff.
Whenever I need to report some AIDS discrimination, I never have a clue who to call.
And red state hell is not where you want to be if you need Holocaust claims processed.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »
The big one is the property tax on motor vehicles.

I guess we really hurt.

Airwolf here, who lives in Iowa but is a native Nebraskan, can back me up on this; property taxes on Nebraska motor vehicles are stratospherically high.

When I was still down in Lincoln, I had an income tax customer, a Vietnamese guy who was a welder, who'd just moved to Nebraska from Texas.  He had some late-model luxury vehicle (I forget what kind; to me, a car is a car is a car......) which at the time (1998 or 1999) had cost him $25 to register and license down there.

He had to pay about $1100 to get it registered and licensed in Nebraska.

Our colleague Airwolf can back me up on this.

What Frank says is true. Not to mention that recently Omaha tried to levy a wheel tax on non residents that work in Omaha. Problem is their is a state law that says only the State can do that and only under certain circumstances and a wheel tax isn't one of them.  Now days it can cost a good penny to register your car in Nebraska but even more so in Omaha when you add their Wheel tax and their property tax as well. Well above $700 dollars isn't unheard of nowdays.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
During the late 1970s, early 1980s, Nebraska had something like this, an annual automotive check-up and inspection.  The job was done by any service station, and the fee was a state-mandated $12.50.

It was a pain in the ass, because if one went to a service station hungry for the mechanical business, they'd look at things more closely than was decent, hoping to find something they'd be hired to fix.

This inspection had no, zero, zilch effect on anything, anything at all (the environment, accident rates, automobile safety and longevity), and so finally the state legislature dumped it.

The down side is that rates on Insurance went up and I have seen alot of cars that were best left back at the studios where they film the MAD MAX movies.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »
What Frank says is true. Not to mention that recently Omaha tried to levy a wheel tax on non residents that work in Omaha. Problem is their is a state law that says only the State can do that and only under certain circumstances and a wheel tax isn't one of them.  Now days it can cost a good penny to register your car in Nebraska but even more so in Omaha when you add their Wheel tax and their property tax as well. Well above $700 dollars isn't unheard of nowdays.

Aha.  Confirmation.

And a reminder to those who once in a while see a Nebraska license-plate.

Even if it's a beat-up old rusted 1986 Buick running on three cylinders, those two Nebraska license-plates might as well be gold-plated, for all that they cost.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 04:24:55 PM »
He had to pay about $1100 to get it registered and licensed in Nebraska.
Just for annual registration? Must be due to most Nebraskans getting six-figure checks from that ethanol scam.
The roads in that part of America must really be paved with gold.
Here in red state hell, a car that costs $1100 to BUY is upscale.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Just for annual registration? Must be due to most Nebraskans getting six-figure checks from that ethanol scam.
Here in red state hell, a car that costs $1100 to BUY is upscale.

I forget what it was; he was a little Vietnamese guy--but a great welder--and this was a top-of-the-line Cadillac (I think, but I'm only guessing), about six months old when he moved to Nebraska.  He was really proud of that vehicle, but wept upon receiving the bill for the registration of it.

That is annual registration.

Twenty-five bucks down in Texas, $1100 in Lincoln, Nebraska.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
Twenty-five bucks down in Texas, $1100 in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Sounds like the city fathers of Lincoln are trying to make the "light rail" scam viable.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »

It's the problem of too few people (and hence automobiles), and many miles of road.

And Nebraska, being in the center of America, needs to have all sorts of roads and highways, for people rushing from New York City to San Francisco, from Seattle to Miami, and all points in between.

We aren't really fond of being the crossroads of America, because we're having to build and maintain all these roads for people who aren't going to spend any money in Nebraska, other than perhaps $40 for gasoline and $1 for a 44-ounce soda, on their ways to and from somewhere besides Nebraska.

If any of them would stop and settle, we'd have more to share the burden of automotive taxes, and hence lower taxes per capita.  But everybody's just passing through, not moving here.

The Rapid City, South Dakota, and the Denver, Colorado, business interests want a four-lane highway built between those two cities, so as to facilitate commerce that, obviously favors South Dakota and Colorado, and Nebraska hardly at all.

The current highway between Rapid City and Denver is fine, but they want four lanes, despite that one can drive for half an hour in the panhandle of Nebraska without seeing another car on the road.

The federal government (i.e., the hard-pressed American taxpayers) is willing to pay 80% the cost of construction of this highway, nearly all of which would be inside the borders of Nebraska, but Nebraska refuses to bite.  We know how it works.

Once the thing would be completed, Nebraska would be responsible for maintenance and further improvements on a highway that benefits South Dakota and Colorado, but not us.

Too few Nebraska-registered motor vehicles, too many miles of roads.  That's why automotive-related taxes and fees are so high.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
$1,100 for registration? OMG! we pay anywhere from $45-$75 for our cars annually.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
$1,100 for registration? OMG! we pay anywhere from $45-$75 for our cars annually.

Well, that was for a superdeluxe 6-month-old expensive motor vehicle, madam.

As our esteemed colleague Airwolf recently told us, the "usual" is around $500-700 a year.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Years ago, I recall hearing that California registration cost was 2% of the car's book value, which sounded exorbitant. At the time I was paying $20. But $1100 per year is crazy, regardless the type of vehicle or the number of road miles.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »
Years ago, I recall hearing that California registration cost was 2% of the car's book value, which sounded exorbitant. At the time I was paying $20. But $1100 per year is crazy, regardless the type of vehicle or the number of road miles.

It would've been higher if he'd bought the vehicle in Nebraska, rather than Texas.

There's the 5% state sales tax (plus any local sales tax if one) that's paid at the time of registration.

However, there is a faint silver lining here.  Every year, one has to pay less and less (it works out that way even if property taxes were raised inbetweentimes), and if one owns a motor vehicle long enough, or buys it when it's old, the annual registration is within a reasonable amount.  The first year is when it hits, and then it diminishes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:12 AM »
Hey Bally, I LOVE this!  :cheersmate:

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
Hey Bally, I LOVE this!  :cheersmate:

Thanks! I wish I could take credit for it but I swiped it from someone at FR. It's such a coincidence because that morning I saw 1 of those freaking COEXIST bumper stickers and I was like UGH! I had those darn bumper stickers, that afternoon I was reading FR and what pops up in the thread? a modified bumper sticker that I could support LOL.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »

This is another version of that but I think I like yours better.

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »

This is another version of that but I think I like yours better.

That's good too!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »