Author Topic: Another Nail: NJ Dems Vote to Strip Union Rights  (Read 3288 times)

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Another Nail: NJ Dems Vote to Strip Union Rights
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
DUmp Link

radhika Donating Member (447 posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Jun-16-11 03:12 PM
Original message
Another Nail: NJ Dems Vote to Strip Union Rights

h/t to Paleo over at DailyKos.

I have no words, read for yourselves.

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/11/0616/0319/

My favorite kind of posts. Hey DUmmies, while wasting your time in WI everywhere else unions are being dumped. By your own party.  :loser:

Cyrano Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Jun-16-11 03:17 PM
Response to Original message
2. This ain't my father's Democratic Party

Edited on Thu Jun-16-11 03:22 PM by Cyrano
You're right, radhika. Words fail me too.

NJ Dems against unions. A Dem president getting into two more possible wars (Libya and Yemen). A Democratic Party that wouldn't stand behind Anthony Weiner who committed no crime. Not a word from our "leaders" about jobs.

But they're going to want us at the polls at election time. I really have no idea what it is I'll be voting for.
The donkey, be a good DUmmie and vote for who you are told to vote for.

FiveGoodMen Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Thu Jun-16-11 03:35 PM
7. We need a new party.

Edited on Thu Jun-16-11 03:36 PM by FiveGoodMen
This one isn't worth a damn.

And we need this website to become SomethingBetterThanDemocraticUnderground.com

...and with that 5gudmen has been put on the watch list. TS is incoming.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Another Nail: NJ Dems Vote to Strip Union Rights
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:26:56 PM »
The NJEA has been running commercials the past few months about Christie, now they'll be running ads against the Democrats LOL. BTW the ads are horrible, and people in NJ are fed-up with the unions.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
mmonk  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-16-11 04:18 PM
3. Too bad the party is throwing its lot in with the wrong people.

There will not be any victory in that.

The wrong people? you mean the ones who pay the bills? over $8,000 a year in property taxes and ours are considered cheap.

mmonk  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-16-11 04:33 PM
Response to Reply #5
6. And that is the problem but how do we get the politicians to hear us

short of replacement and running ourselves? I do not see any other way currently.

Do you really think the Democrats would do this if the majority in the State agreed with the Unions?

Bandit  (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-16-11 04:51 PM
Response to Reply #6
10. Dollars

It's all about the dollars... We, you and I, and even the Unions just can't do what Wall Street and the bankers can do when it comes to giving money..The ONLY thing I have is my vote and they take that for granted... I have news for them.. If they act like Republicans then it makes no difference whether they win or a Republican wins..

Wall Street isn't fleecing the taxpayers of NJ, but the Unions are.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:36:06 PM by Ballygrl »
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »
Wall Street isn't fleecing the taxpayers of NJ, but the Unions are.

You got that right.

By the way, madam, an interesting statistic.

Every year, the Omaha World-Herald checks into something; about how much of Nebraska is owned by non-Nebraskans.

Are you aware that New Jerseyans own almost as much of Nebraska, as do Nebraskans themselves?

New Jerseyans own more of Nebraska than people from any of the other states.

It's been true since the 1870s, New Jersey ownership of Nebraska.

Youse guys are perceptive investors, and quite obviously, it's paid off.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:49:06 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:48:11 PM »
You got that right.

Every year, the Omaha World-Herald{/i] checks into something; about how much of Nebraska is owned by non-Nebraskans.

Are you aware that New Jerseyans own almost as much of Nebraska, as do Nebraskans themselves?

I never knew that at all frank. My Husband would up and move out of the State if it wasn't for me, but I feel like we're going to be run out of the State if taxes continue to rise.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
My Husband would up and move out of the State if it wasn't for me, but I feel like we're going to be run out of the State if taxes continue to rise.

Well, madam, if I were your husband, I'd want to keep you happy too.

I did notice one thing in an earlier post you made somewhere here--you guys pay $8,000 in property taxes on an ordinary house in New Jersey?

Damn.

We're supposed to be the king of property taxes (since so few people to tax, one turns to taxing property, of which there's a surplus), but I've never in my life heard of anybody paying anything near that amount in property taxes.

Damn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
Well, madam, if I were your husband, I'd want to keep you happy too.

I did notice one thing in an earlier post you made somewhere here--you guys pay $8,000 in property taxes on an ordinary house in New Jersey?

Damn.

We're supposed to be the king of property taxes (since so few people to tax, one turns to taxing property, of which there's a surplus), but I've never in my life heard of anybody paying anything near that amount in property taxes.

Damn.

We're a little over $8,000 a year now for a small house and hardly any property, we have friends that are over $12,000 a year so our property taxes are considered "cheap". The average in NJ a couple of years ago I think was a little over $7,000. In NJ the "wealthy" Counties aka Republican Counties have part of their taxes taken to fund the schools in the "poorer" Counties aka Democrat Counties to make it "fair". And the part that really stinks is the fact that homes were re-evaluated a few years ago at the height of the market so our property taxes skyrocketed, now that the market has fallen? our home has fallen maybe $150,000 in value and our taxes are still the same.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:02:32 PM by Ballygrl »

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »
We're a little over $8,000 a year now for a small house and hardly any property, we have friends that are over $12,000 a year so our property taxes are considered "cheap". The average in NJ a couple of years ago I think was a little over $7,000. In NJ the "wealthy" Counties aka Republican Counties have part of their taxes taken to fund the schools in the "poorer" Counties aka Democrat Counties to make it "fair". And the part that really stinks is the fact that homes were re-evaluated a few years ago at the height of the market so our property taxes skyrocketed, now that the market has fallen? our home has fallen maybe $150,000 in value and our taxes are still the same.

Whoa.

Now, I have to tell you something.  I do income taxes.

I don't do income taxes for wealthy people who have CPAs for that; only for ordinary people.

I know nothing about real-estate values; I never bothered paying attention.

Property taxes in Nebraska are considered onerously high, outrageously high.

The county clerk in each county collects property taxes for towns, counties, and schools, and then sends the money to the appropriate place; i.e., there is only one property tax statement, not three.

Remember, Nebraska is considered a high-property-tax state.

All of the property-tax statements I've seen, when doing income taxes, range from circa $600 to $800.

I've never in my life seen one into four figures, not even $1,000.01.

Eight thousand bucks boggles this mind.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »
Whoa.

Now, I have to tell you something.  I do income taxes.

I don't do income taxes for wealthy people who have CPAs for that; only for ordinary people.

I know nothing about real-estate values; I never bothered paying attention.

Property taxes in Nebraska are considered onerously high, outrageously high.

The county clerk in each county collects property taxes for towns, counties, and schools, and then sends the money to the appropriate place; i.e., there is only one property tax statement, not three.

All of the property-tax statements I've seen, when doing income taxes, range from circa $600 to $800.

I've never in my life seen one into four figures, not even $1,000.01.

Eight thousand bucks boggles this mind.

That's why a lot of middle class and lower middle class are fleeing the State, going to Pennsylvania, North Carolina and now Delaware. My Husband would love to live on a farm in Maine, we could get a house there for maybe 1/3 if what it is here and property taxes for maybe $800 a year.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »
That's why a lot of middle class and lower middle class are fleeing the State, going to Pennsylvania, North Carolina and now Delaware. My Husband would love to live on a farm in Maine, we could get a house there for maybe 1/3 if what it is here and property taxes for maybe $800 a year.

It's hard to believe Pennsylvania's a "better" option.

But Maine needs more (R)s, and it's close enough to family in New York and New Jersey.

I think your husband's a smart man; you should really consider that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »

But Maine needs more (R)s, and it's close enough to family in New York and New Jersey.

He's been wanting to do it for decades, but my Mom is older now and his Mom is getting up there, they both have health problems and they're both widows, if we move it would mean uprooting everyone because no way could we leave them here. I would just have a hard time adjusting though to neighbors a mile away LOL, I'm used to having everything 5 minutes away, his Cousin lives up there in the woods and it's a half hour to the closest store.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:40:30 PM »

That would be low even in red state hell, but there are no sod houses here. No sod, either.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:52:52 AM »
That would be low even in red state hell, but there are no sod houses here. No sod, either.

Well, remember the socio-economic class which provides most of my own income-tax work; working people of modest means, usually a two-story four- or five-bedroom bungalow built perhaps 60 years ago, sitting on a plot of ground about, I guess, 200' x 300'.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 07:02:29 AM »
"By your own party". 

They are trying desperately to buy their own party...

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 07:06:40 AM »

The big one is the property tax on motor vehicles.

I guess we really hurt.

Airwolf here, who lives in Iowa but is a native Nebraskan, can back me up on this; property taxes on Nebraska motor vehicles are stratospherically high.

When I was still down in Lincoln, I had an income tax customer, a Vietnamese guy who was a welder, who'd just moved to Nebraska from Texas.  He had some late-model luxury vehicle (I forget what kind; to me, a car is a car is a car......) which at the time (1998 or 1999) had cost him $25 to register and license down there.

He had to pay about $1100 to get it registered and licensed in Nebraska.

Our colleague Airwolf can back me up on this.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline terry

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 07:12:48 AM »

PA is not better.  We paid $5000 last year in property taxes and are by no means wealth.  Our house is assessed at less than $200,000.

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:54 AM »
$8,000 in property taxes would be a deal-breaker for me.  We simply don't have the $8K to pay in a year.  My BIL's is $12,000.  And this in a crappy little northern town, nothing special (Maseena).  It's not like it's oceanfront or near a glamorous, bustling city.  What's it pay for?  Every other vehicle is a cop car.  Containing folks with some very cushy benefits & retirement. 

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »
You got that right.

Every year, the Omaha World-Herald checks into something; about how much of Nebraska is owned by non-Nebraskans.

It's a Jersey thing.

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »
It's a Jersey thing.

Right; this absentee landlord thing, in places where there's not a whole lot of people, not enough people to own all that's in the place.

I was surprised to learn some time ago that H.M. the Queen owns substantial agricultural land in Mississippi.

And it's an old joke about how Minnesota "owns" North Dakota, and Iowa "owns" South Dakota.

Or that Wall Street "owns" Montana.

It's actually true, but all one can do is joke about it.

The New Jersey connection with Nebraska evolved from the Western Union telegraph lines and Union Pacific railway line spanning Nebraska during the 1860; at the time, Nebraska had less than 10,000 people (circa 16,000 if one counted the Native Americans), and somebody had to pay for the ownership and construction and maintenance of these things, as Nebraskans themselves obviously couldn't.

In succeeding decades, it went on to New Jersey ownership of Nebraska corporations (stockholders) and real-estate.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:05 AM »
Right; this absentee landlord thing, in places where there's not a whole lot of people, not enough people to own all that's in the place.

I was surprised to learn some time ago that H.M. the Queen owns substantial agricultural land in Mississippi.

And it's an old joke about how Minnesota "owns" North Dakota, and Iowa "owns" South Dakota.

Or that Wall Street "owns" Montana.

It's actually true, but all one can do is joke about it.

The New Jersey connection with Nebraska evolved from the Western Union telegraph lines and Union Pacific railway line spanning Nebraska during the 1860; at the time, Nebraska had less than 10,000 people (circa 16,000 if one counted the Native Americans), and somebody had to pay for the ownership and construction and maintenance of these things, as Nebraskans themselves obviously couldn't.

In succeeding decades, it went on to New Jersey ownership of Nebraska corporations (stockholders) and real-estate.

...and how obnoxious assholes from Ohio own Hilton Head Island, SC.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »

Bally, we're still a shade under 3k here on the edge of Atlantic county . . . praying we aren't reassessed as has been threatened
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
I pay around $2000 a year here (Cali). We got lucky passing prop 13, but the Dims are CONSTANTLY trying to repeal it as it's "unfair" to schools, the poor,  blah, blah..........

Everytime they try we the voters shoot it down.  :yahoo:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »
Well, in red state hell, our taxes are dirt cheap, and car registrations only cost $50 per year (plus $10 for the stupid, worthless democrat emissions test).

People up north pay astronomical sums in taxes to their democrat union-controlled state and local governments.
I'm sure, though, that they get to enjoy a whole menu of services that we can only dream about.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
.....plus $10 for the stupid, worthless democrat emissions test.

During the late 1970s, early 1980s, Nebraska had something like this, an annual automotive check-up and inspection.  The job was done by any service station, and the fee was a state-mandated $12.50.

It was a pain in the ass, because if one went to a service station hungry for the mechanical business, they'd look at things more closely than was decent, hoping to find something they'd be hired to fix.

This inspection had no, zero, zilch effect on anything, anything at all (the environment, accident rates, automobile safety and longevity), and so finally the state legislature dumped it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
Well, in red state hell, our taxes are dirt cheap, and car registrations only cost $50 per year (plus $10 for the stupid, worthless democrat emissions test).

People up north pay astronomical sums in taxes to their democrat union-controlled state and local governments.
I'm sure, though, that they get to enjoy a whole menu of services that we can only dream about.

Guess again. :banghead: