Author Topic: DUmmies Discuss A Lame Walgreen's Bouncy Tale  (Read 4982 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
DUmmies Discuss A Lame Walgreen's Bouncy Tale
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
After all the drama of the know-it-all chronicles, it's kind of refreshing to run across a half-assed, old-fashioned bouncy tale. There's no dialog, but the author goes to great pains to paint a word picture. In fact, there's so much detail she must have been snapping photos like People of Walmart. Anyway, DUmmy Wednesdays has a nice imagination, until she blows it all away at the end:
Wednesdays  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-18-11 11:07 AM
Original message
I witnessed a perfect allegory of the income gap in America last night
I went to refill a prescription at my local Walgreen's last evening. As I was getting out of my car, another car pulled into the parking lot a few spaces down from me--a car barely hanging onto it's (sic) last throes of usefulness. It was a Ford LTD sedan from the 1970s, and it blew thick, black smoke. The paint was bleached from brown to tan, and the tan vinyl roof was half-peeled off. There were several large dents on the body, and one broken window was repaired with clear plastic sheeting and strapping tape. The driver of the car was a forty-something man, whom I assumed was the dad of the family. The other passengers were his wife, a teen daughter, and a grandmother. The man had stringy, bushy dark brown hair, a large mustache, and beard stubble. He looked like he hadn't shaved in a week or had a haircut in a year. He wore a dirty baseball cap, and an old t-shirt and flannel shirt.

As I walked towards the store, I encountered another car, that I can only figure came from nearby Nichols Hills. It was a sparkling white 2011 Cadillac, with tinted glass and white leather seats. The engine was running, and I could hear the whirr of the air conditioner. A woman, around 50 or so, sat in the driver's seat, talking on her cell phone. She had on a rhinestone-studded shirt, designer sunglasses, and perfectly-styled hair with blond highlights. I couldn't see what kind of phone she had, but she held it in her left hand, which sported a wedding band that looked like it was top-of-the-line from B.C.Clark. Scattered around the car were several neatly-packaged and colorful gift bags, apparently in preparation for some sort of celebration. I was curious as to what the story was behind the gifts, but I wasn't about to stare, and so I continued on to the drug store.

While waiting for my prescription to be filled, I browsed the store, when I came across the mother and grandmother from the first car (the daughter was browsing elsewhere). They wore plain old clothes (the mother's jeans were muddy and torn along the cuff), their hair was combed but otherwise plain, and I could smell them from 20 feet away. They were having a minor argument over certain items to buy, and after hearing what they were talking about, I handed them $20 (all the cash I had to spare). They looked shocked, but before they could say anything or try to return the cash, I said something to the effect of, "Well, I just found it lying on the ground, so it's not really mine, anyway." I snuck (sic) away, and made myself scarce until my name was called to pick up my prescription. I did, however, catch a glimpse of the people across the store, while they were in the checkout lane at the front of the store.

You see, they were arguing earlier about which cans of cat food to buy. When they were at the checkout counter, they were carrying several cans of cat food. What do you want to bet they don't own a cat?
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x680557
All that vivid imagination, and she ruins it with that old cat food myth. What a disappointing bouncy!

CaliforniaPeggy  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-18-11 11:13 AM
Response to Original message
1. You did a really good thing...

Yup, I'm sure they don't have a cat...

God, what a mess our country is.

Damn it.

You probably didn't realize it, but that was today's CalPig poem. And yes, I know, there was no sexual ecstasy, but still, it was a CalPig poem.

kctim (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-18-11 11:16 AM
2. I'll bet a hundred that they own a cat
 Being on a similar budget as those people, I can tell you that there are things like Ramen, Spam, potted meat etc that are close to the same price or even cheaper than cat food.

I'd bet a hundred they don't exist. Being DUmb enough to believe bouncy tales is one reason DUmmy kctim lives on Spam.

Wednesdays  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-18-11 11:22 AM
Response to Reply #2
5. Cat or no, you'd agree they're probably in dire straits?
Aside from public libraries, they're not likely to have Internet access.
They just need to park next to the Buick and use their iPhones.

kickysnana  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-18-11 11:33 AM
6. Thanks for posting this. It started my day off positive.

Wednesdays  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-18-11 11:50 AM
Response to Reply #6
9. Thanks. It's a double-edged sword.
Good that one family was shown someone cared, but my narrative also illustrates how far this country has yet to go.

This OP only has ten responses, and half of them are from DUmmy Wednesdays, who started it. She's as bad as the CalPig with her "my dear DUmbass" responses to her own threads.

w8liftinglady  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-18-11 11:33 AM
7. you did good...it will make a difference. Don't sell yourself short.
Good breeds good in others....maybe they will pass on good to someone in worse shape than them.
I am proud of your actions.

I feel another half-baked leter to the editor coming on.

Wednesdays  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-18-11 11:52 AM
Response to Reply #7
10. True, thanks.
I think it's inspired me to work harder to bring about social change. This is the only major industrialized nation that allows this to happen at such large a scale.

DUmmy Wednesdays is inspired by a car full of deadbeats. We don't call 'em DUmmies for nothing.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: DUmmies Discuss A Lame Walgreen's Bouncy Tale
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »
Oh FFS! BS!
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
I just looked at my Walgreens Circular.  Starkist Tuna is on sale for 99 cents a can.  Wouldn't it be more economical to buy a can of that and share it with the cat?  Not in the same bowl of course. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ScubaGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:58:24 AM »

I don't know about the rest of you but when I'm really hungry I go to Walmart to buy my cat food.  The off-brands there are way cheaper than Walgreens.  :lmao:
25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
If the 2011 Cadillac had tinted windows, how could the primitive see so much detail about what was inside it, and the driver?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Gary56

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
There is so much BS in this bouncy, you know she didn't give anyone twenty dollars out of the kindness of her heart.  She's a greedy dummy who only takes from people.

And this whole class warfare is getting ridiculous.  If you took everything the "rich" lady had and gave it to the poor family, in a year they would be back to where they are now.  The poor would be poor, with maybe some nice toys, and the rich would be rich again.  

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
OK, aside from buying anything from a drugstore at their ridiculously marked-up prices, here's what got me: 

She painted the poor family as disgustingly dirty.  She could smell them a mile away, the father was all greasy and stringy and unshaven.  The family sported mud on their torn clothes.  A better effect would be had by portraying them as the "noble poor."  As in,

"We was poor but proud.  We never had much money, but mama kept the house spotless and made sure we was, too.  She washed and mended our clothes and would nary let us step out of the house lessen our hair was shiny and clean." 

As it is, she drew them as freeloading bums, and I see those guys around here all tlhe time.  Especially at the first of the month.  They sit around on their picnic tables and put a case away.  Good times. 

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 12:48:44 PM »
Original message
--a car barely hanging onto it's last throes of usefulness. It was a Ford LTD sedan from the 1970s, and it blew thick, black smoke. The paint was bleached from brown to tan, and the tan vinyl roof was half-peeled off. There were several large dents on the body, and one broken window was repaired with clear plastic sheeting and strapping tape.

The only thing that could have made the bouncy better.....a Buick. :rotf:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »
Yes, I saw this stupid thread. So what, there were two cars parked at a drugstore? Must have got very close to the woman in the Cadillac to notice all those details, and warm enough in OK to use A/C in March.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »
Original message
I witnessed a perfect allegory of the income gap in America last night
I went to refill a prescription at my local Walgreen's last evening. As I was getting out of my car, another car pulled into the parking lot a few spaces down from me--a car barely hanging onto it's (sic) last throes of usefulness. It was a Ford LTD sedan from the 1970s, and it blew thick, black smoke. The paint was bleached from brown to tan, and the tan vinyl roof was half-peeled off. There were several large dents on the body, and one broken window was repaired with clear plastic sheeting and strapping tape. The driver of the car was a forty-something man, whom I assumed was the dad of the family. The other passengers were his wife, a teen daughter, and a grandmother. The man had stringy, bushy dark brown hair, a large mustache, and beard stubble. He looked like he hadn't shaved in a week or had a haircut in a year. He wore a dirty baseball cap, and an old t-shirt and flannel shirt.

I knew a man very much like this. He had more money than he knew what to do with. He always paid cash from a roll of $100 bills. He drove an old beat-up truck with faded paint and rust spots. He didn't see a need to spend money on a new one because the old still did exactly what it was supposed to do which was get him from point A to point B. He always wore a white t-shirt and faded blue jeans because he felt comfortable in them. He almost always looked like he needed a shave and a hair cut. If he wasn't working he was usually tending to his cows or his hay or hunting. If a DUmmie would have given him $20 as in the above story he would have taken it then laughed his ass off when climbed back into his beat-up truck. He was a good guy and entertaining to be around.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
Wednesdays - Sorry, I will stop shopping at Walgreens.  After all, I own a TEN YEAR OLD Jaguar with blacked out windows.  Although the car is 10 years old, it looks almost new.  I'd hate to throw someone like you into a jealous rage.  This same thing can be said about Walmart, Target, the grocery stores, etc.  I've been at Walgreens when someone in a Bentley pulled in.  Did I get upset?  Nope.  Rich people want to save money too.

Is there a preferred store you would like us luxury car owners to shop at from now on?
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »
If the 2011 Cadillac had tinted windows, how could the primitive see so much detail about what was inside it, and the driver?

Oh my! :lmao:

BTW, let me see, our cars and truck are older but hubby keeps them in pretty good shape so they kind of look newish, they're anywhere from 8-14 years old, we own them outright, I have sunglasses with Rhinestones on them, I think I bought them maybe 10 years ago for like $5? they were cheap but they look very expensive, I have a cellphone that's pretty cool, it's a prepaid though but if people saw me using it and what it looked like they would never know that, and I'm a wedding ring aholic, I have my original wedding and engagement ring but I like to change them out, and while they're gold I tend to favor sterling silver now, 1 of my wedding engagement rings I wear is over 3 carats, it's huge, from afar I'm sure it would look like I was rich, but the ring cost me like $50 at QVC, some of my jeans have some tattering, they're maybe 10 years old but I look stylist I guess because that's supposedly in style from what I see, my hair's not blond but it's dark brunette with red highlights that I do myself using Loreal.

Looks can be deceiving!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
I knew a man very much like this. He had more money than he knew what to do with. He always paid cash from a roll of $100 bills. He drove an old beat-up truck with faded paint and rust spots. He didn't see a need to spend money on a new one because the old still did exactly what it was supposed to do which was get him from point A to point B. He always wore a white t-shirt and faded blue jeans because he felt comfortable in them. He almost always looked like he needed a shave and a hair cut. If he wasn't working he was usually tending to his cows or his hay or hunting. If a DUmmie would have given him $20 as in the above story he would have taken it then laughed his ass off when climbed back into his beat-up truck. He was a good guy and entertaining to be around.

Howard Hughes often dressed in shabby but comfortable clothing, rarely carried any cash on him, forcing him to borrow money from friends/or his employees for immidiate purchases, and drove around in non-descript chevrolets.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
Wow- so many people over there have photographic memories. How do they do it?  / sarc

I think I'm going to start dressing like that before I go to the store. Maybe I can get some of these liberal Chicagoans to feel sorry for me.  A fool and his money soon part :)

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »
I do wonder if it ever dawned on the stupid primative that...
maybe they just wanted to feed their cat? :thatsright:

Nah, not enough drama. :banghead:

Mmmm, Meow-Mix!! :drool:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »
I just looked at my Walgreens Circular.  Starkist Tuna is on sale for 99 cents a can.  Wouldn't it be more economical to buy a can of that and share it with the cat?  Not in the same bowl of course. 

If you're that hungry, **** the cat! If it can't find and catch mice, then it ain't much of a cat!

The last time I saw a car like the one in this Bouncy, it was driven by a stinkin' meth head! And yeah, he had his wife and kids in the car! They all looked just like this twerp described it, too! The wife looked strung out too, but we only had a warrant for the scumbag drivin'. Poor kids! They'd of been better off if I could've called DHS!

I wanted to put a cap in his ass, but my boss decided to take him to jail instead, since he had jumped a $20,000 bond his mom put up usin' her house as collateral!

If this DUmmie's story is anywhere near the truth, I'll lay odds the circumstances were much the same.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »
If you're that hungry, **** the cat! If it can't find and catch mice, then it ain't much of a cat!

The last time I saw a car like the one in this Bouncy, it was driven by a stinkin' meth head! And yeah, he had his wife and kids in the car! They all looked just like this twerp described it, too! The wife looked strung out too, but we only had a warrant for the scumbag drivin'. Poor kids! They'd of been better off if I could've called DHS!

I wanted to put a cap in his ass, but my boss decided to take him to jail instead, since he had jumped a $20,000 bond his mom put up usin' her house as collateral!

If this DUmmie's story is anywhere near the truth, I'll lay odds the circumstances were much the same.

I suspect they were just feedin up the cat like you do beef in preparation for a nice Chinese dinner.   :rotf:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »
Cat,...the other white-meat. :drool:  :cheersmate:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 03:05:24 PM »
Cat,...the other white-meat. :drool:  :cheersmate:

Tastes like chicken.  :lmao:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »

Mmmm, Meow-Mix!! :drool:

Put it on ice cream and it's the shit!  :-)

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXxrMC5Pv4[/youtube]
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Karin

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »
Let me just drop this mini bouncy here I just found:

driver8  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-17-11 10:38 AM
Original message
My son is in first grade and went on a field trip the other day. The kids were served lunch,
 and as the kids were eating, one little boy said, "I'm going to take part of my lunch home to have for dinner because we don't have any food at my house."

My wife was on the field trip as a chaperone, and had tears in her eyes  :bawl: when she told me the story. I was wondering, is there a way we could do something for the family without them knowing it was us? I was thinking of getting a gift card to a grocery store, maybe...I don't know. I know this could be a touchy situation and I don't want to insult the parents.
 Link

Why do they make up these stories and keep denying that we have EBT cards in this country?  We've even taken the stigma of the stamps out of it.  How much do they get?  $200 a month?  I wish they'd stop with these starvation bouncies, it's just not happening.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 04:19:54 PM »
My true Bouncy tale:

I have a relative who is 18 or 19 and pregnant. She's single and moved out from home. Not long before Christmas my wife went to town with the girl's mother. That evening when I got in I heard the tough time the girl was having. She was having trouble paying rent. She almost couldn't afford to buy groceries. She couldn't pay for insurance on her car and on and on. She is getting EBT, but still the whole situation weighed on my mind all night long. The next morning before leaving for work I wrote out a check and told my wife to take it by to the girl.

A few days AFTER Christmas I learned that instead of using that money to buy groceries or pay bills she used it to buy Christmas presents for her boyfriend, her friends, her sister and mom and dad. Shortly after that I found where she'd been posting on Facebook with her cell phone. I don't have data plan for my cell phone because I can't justify the expense, but apparently she can. Also, based on one of the videos that she posted she has a big screen TV that appears to be bigger than my 50". Which I guess it's good that she has a TV. It gives her something to do during the day since she doesn't have job to go to during the day.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »
Let me just drop this mini bouncy here I just found:

Why do they make up these stories and keep denying that we have EBT cards in this country?  We've even taken the stigma of the stamps out of it.  How much do they get?  $200 a month?  I wish they'd stop with these starvation bouncies, it's just not happening.

How about if they just donate without having to brag to the DUmp like civilized people do.  Nah- then they wouldn't get the feel good vibes from their stories. 

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
My true Bouncy tale:

I have a relative who is 18 or 19 and pregnant. She's single and moved out from home. Not long before Christmas my wife went to town with the girl's mother. That evening when I got in I heard the tough time the girl was having. She was having trouble paying rent. She almost couldn't afford to buy groceries. She couldn't pay for insurance on her car and on and on. She is getting EBT, but still the whole situation weighed on my mind all night long. The next morning before leaving for work I wrote out a check and told my wife to take it by to the girl.

A few days AFTER Christmas I learned that instead of using that money to buy groceries or pay bills she used it to buy Christmas presents for her boyfriend, her friends, her sister and mom and dad. Shortly after that I found where she'd been posting on Facebook with her cell phone. I don't have data plan for my cell phone because I can't justify the expense, but apparently she can. Also, based on one of the videos that she posted she has a big screen TV that appears to be bigger than my 50". Which I guess it's good that she has a TV. It gives her something to do during the day since she doesn't have job to go to during the day.

Man, that sucks.  My dad once gave an old car to a family who had no money or vehicle. Their excuse for not working was no transportation.  They immediately turned around and sold it for 100.00. Don't know what they used the money for, but it wasn't for another car.