Author Topic: Drug Tests? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Re: Drug Tests? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »
I'm on unemployment right now (hopefully not too much longer if the job I applied for last week comes through...looking like it's a good possibility) and I would have no problem with this. The again I'm not a drug addled fool like most of the morons at DU so I can understand why they'd be against it.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »
I have been on unemployment myself, and when I was, I wouldn't have a problem with it either.  I have to take a drug test randomly at work, why would I object to taking one when I was not working?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »
To get Unemployment, one is supposed to be ready and willing to take a job.  Considering how many employers require drug tests, doing drugs would prevent them from becoming employed, and should be an absolute barrier.  Not to mention, they are using government money to purchase something that that same government has outlawed.  Absolutely they should be drug tested.   

Offline moko

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
I see ..... I seeeee  .. more alcoholics . You cant social engineer losers into something they are not .

There is a guy that walks by my store window every two hours , every day , to fetch another quart of beer . We have yet to track his movements with a bingo marker and an hourly chart , but the thought has occurred to me .  I am just too damned busy bailing to bother with play . But when I am outside,  I do encourage him to pick up the pace , lest he be late for WORK .   He just grins . What a pot full of money that must cost .

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:34 PM »
I'm all for drug testing ANYONE AND EVERYONE who applies for any type of government assistant.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
I'm all for drug testing ANYONE AND EVERYONE who applies for any type of government assistant.

I'd extend that to anyone that receives any form of money from the government. Including elected officials, contractors, all staff and so forth.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
That's fine with me too.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
To get Unemployment, one is supposed to be ready and willing to take a job.  Considering how many employers require drug tests, doing drugs would prevent them from becoming employed, and should be an absolute barrier.  Not to mention, they are using government money to purchase something that that same government has outlawed.  Absolutely they should be drug tested.   

At the very least, if the reason you are not hired is because you failed a drug test, then you should lose your unemployment the same day!

That would eliminate the fed from having to fund it! Win, win!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 07:19:22 PM »
I once knew a man that was desperate to get custody of his daughter.  For a while, I was in total sympathy with him...he seemed to be so upset at losing custody.  Then he started drinking - again - and spent a good hour ranting about the fact that he'd never have to work again, and could drink all he wanted, if the state would just give him his kid and his welfare benefits back. 

Needless to say, I was a lot less sympathetic after that.  In fact, as I recall it, the next time he brought it up when he was sober, I was down right rude.   :bird:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 07:38:58 PM »
I once knew a man that was desperate to get custody of his daughter.  For a while, I was in total sympathy with him...he seemed to be so upset at losing custody.  Then he started drinking - again - and spent a good hour ranting about the fact that he'd never have to work again, and could drink all he wanted, if the state would just give him his kid and his welfare benefits back. 

Needless to say, I was a lot less sympathetic after that.  In fact, as I recall it, the next time he brought it up when he was sober, I was down right rude.   :bird:

Completely understandable.  I probably would have done the same. :hi5:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »
Completely understandable.  I probably would have done the same. :hi5:
The system screws a lot of things up, but sometimes they get it right.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 05:44:44 AM »
I see ..... I seeeee  .. more alcoholics . You cant social engineer losers into something they are not .
That may be true but by the same token, the taxpayer cannot be burdened with funding an immoral loser's drug habit. Besides, losers like you STEAL funding/taxpayer support from those that really and honestly need it - like children.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Hell, to deliver the mail, I ended up getting tested for something on the order of 26 different illegal drugs and commonly abused prescription drugs. took me all of a few minutes to pee in a cup, and then wait for the lab technician to pour it into a testing vessel with markers for all the different drugs pre-affixed and ready to go.

I get government money (well - I get paid by postage.. the P.O. gets nothing from taxes, but close enough) so I got tested. no big deal.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:43 PM »
Hell, to deliver the mail, I ended up getting tested for something on the order of 26 different illegal drugs and commonly abused prescription drugs. took me all of a few minutes to pee in a cup, and then wait for the lab technician to pour it into a testing vessel with markers for all the different drugs pre-affixed and ready to go.

I get government money (well - I get paid by postage.. the P.O. gets nothing from taxes, but close enough) so I got tested. no big deal.
Yeah, we have random tests where I work, also. 

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 08:25:22 AM »
Yeah, we have random tests where I work, also. 

We get tested if we get hurt so Workers Comp can screw us if we fail and if we run into something, damaging it so they can fire us if we fail.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 08:44:23 AM »
We get tested if we get hurt so Workers Comp can screw us if we fail and if we run into something, damaging it so they can fire us if we fail.

DOT Randoms here.  I could get canned if I took anything that wasn't prescribed to me.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Opfor6

• Proud Member In Good Standing Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • Know Your Enemy
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
If you look in the Want Ads you will see that the majority of opportunities, (as scarce as they are), are requiring pre-employment drug tests.

Personally I feel that it is an affront to my civil liberties but you can either have your pride and starve or piss in a cup and feed your family. 
If a man dies fighting for his own freedom, it is not a sacrifice: he is not willing to live as a slave; but it is a sacrifice to the kind of man who’s willing.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
If you look in the Want Ads you will see that the majority of opportunities, (as scarce as they are), are requiring pre-employment drug tests.

Personally I feel that it is an affront to my civil liberties but you can either have your pride and starve or piss in a cup and feed your family. 

Again, where do your "civil liberties" come into play?  That libertarian mindset bullshit works both ways.  BTW--if people are using food stamps or their EBT to obtain cash and drugs, would you not agree that the government has a right, if not an OBLIGATION to the taxpayer to 1--remove that person from the dole, or 2--ensure ONLY foodstuffs and BASIC necessities (clothing and shelter) are purchased with said welfare?

It's not an either-or.  You can still have your "pride" and still piss in a cup to feed your family.  I do it as a condition of my employment on a random basis.  So do a lot of other folks here.  Please try to remember that.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Opfor6

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Know Your Enemy
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 10:02:58 AM »
It will be easier to remember when every member of Congress, the Executive and Judicial branch have unannounced random drug tests. And lets make sure that state and local government politicians and employees are also tested.

If a man dies fighting for his own freedom, it is not a sacrifice: he is not willing to live as a slave; but it is a sacrifice to the kind of man who’s willing.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 10:09:04 AM »
It will be easier to remember when every member of Congress, the Executive and Judicial branch have unannounced random drug tests. And lets make sure that state and local government politicians and employees are also tested.

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with it if they have security clearances or otherwise handle sensitive information.  I've been subject to random urinalysis by EVERY employer I've had (government or civilian) since the age of 17.  Nature of the beast.

Bottom line, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 10:17:36 AM »
Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with it if they have security clearances or otherwise handle sensitive information.  I've been subject to random urinalysis by EVERY employer I've had (government or civilian) since the age of 17.  Nature of the beast.

Bottom line, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

And if you choose to do the crime you'd best find a legit way to support yourself.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 11:59:44 AM »

I'd be totally in favor of that.  Given some of the stuff they pull, I wouldn't doubt that half our government is high most of the time. :thatsright:

Offline Opfor6

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Know Your Enemy
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »
I'd be totally in favor of that.  Given some of the stuff they pull, I wouldn't doubt that half our government is high most of the time. :thatsright:

I'd also add that they have to blow into a breathalyzer before they vote. Especially after they come back from lunch.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »

To make it sweeter for our esteemed bureaucrats, IF you test positive, you get ONE chance at rehab, counseling, whatever, to clean up your act.  ONE CHANCE!

Blow the second test, YOU ARE REMOVED FROM OFFICE!  No paycheck, no pension, no appeal, just GET THE HELL OUT!   :loser:

As an extra added bonus, any and all legislation that they sponsored the previous 12 months WILL BE NULLIFIED, regardless if it was passed or not!

No Kennedys (or their relatives) will be allowed in the chambers for a vote if said vote happens after the lunch recess, unless they can blow a BAC of <.01%, and haven't had a traffic offense in the last 6 months.... 
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »
Hate to bust your balls, but there's a lot of people in sensitive positions who can't meet that criteria.

I'm okay with members of Congress undergoing random urinalysis and breathalyzer as well as any of their staffers who handle classified information (and some already do), but you can't just "undo" a law.