Author Topic: So Scott Brownstain campaigned in an old pickup truck, but owns 5 houses and 12  (Read 4010 times)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Am I reading that right?  Really nice houses are only $100,000 in Massachusetts?   I might have to start trying to get transferred to our Boston office.  

You could maybe buy one house out here for the price of all of his houses.  Dang.

If I read what he filled out correctly....the second home is a time-share. Just about anybody with a decent credit rating and a couple of thousand dollars can buy into a time-share.  :whatever: (my daughter and her husband stayed in one on their honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas - and the twits bought into one for $1500  :banghead: they couldn't understand why all the parents thought it was dumb  ::) )

Lots of people - both conservatives and liberals - started buying rental properties in the last 10 years....safer investment than the stock market. They wanted something tangible that they could reach out and touch.. and most importantly.... retain/grow in value and generate income,  rather than a piece of paper that may be worth a lot of money one day and nothing the next.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

rather than a piece of paper that may be worth a lot of money one day and nothing the next.

Kind of like what happened with the housing bubble?

:bolt:  Just kidding since you are a realtor.  :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Kind of like what happened with the housing bubble?

:bolt:  Just kidding since you are a realtor.  :-)

:tongue:

Most investors, who are buying rental properties, are not buying expensive properties. There has to be a margin of profit, and if the property has a mortgage, the profit margin is greatly narrowed.

While affected by the housing bubble somewhat....it has been minimal, simply because the lower end properties have not lost as much money and the rent amount has not decreased...so it's still an income producing property.

I have worked with investors for years....it's a much different market than primary residence purchasing. In many ways...it's much harder. Harder to find the investors specific profit margin. On the other hand...there's little to no emotion in the purchase.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline thundley4

Most investors, who are buying rental properties, are not buying expensive properties. There has to be a margin of profit, and if the property has a mortgage, the profit margin is greatly narrowed.

While affected by the housing bubble somewhat....it has been minimal, simply because the lower end properties have not lost as much money and the rent amount has not decreased...so it's still an income producing property.

I have worked with investors for years....it's a much different market than primary residence purchasing. In many ways...it's much harder. Harder to find the investors specific profit margin. On the other hand...there's little to no emotion in the purchase.

Hasn't the housing bust been a boon to rental property owners?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

You got that right!  I'm an investor.  I hate to tell this but .... I bought a house for $9,000.00 and put $6,000.00 in repairs into it.  I rent it for $450.00/month and it has never been empty longer than a month.  That is least expensive I have picked up a home.  I have several I bought as really good deals then I have 2 I bought that are renting at a rate to "Just break even".  I bought those 2 homes because they were in good shape in a good area and I could buy them right.  I'll hold them at no cost to me for probably 5 - 10 years then I'll sell them for what the market is right then and make my money.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Hasn't the housing bust been a boon to rental property owners?

Yes it has.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Am I reading that right?  Really nice houses are only $100,000 in Massachusetts?   I might have to start trying to get transferred to our Boston office.  

You could maybe buy one house out here for the price of all of his houses.  Dang.

Don't even bother.  It's "over $100K", which is the only requirement unless the value is over $1M.

I'd venture to guess the house in Rye would go for at least a half-million.  Ones on the ocean can go for upwards of $3-5M.

Hell, new construction right behind me is still going for around $300K.

ETA: The one in Rye isn't a timeshare.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

I am having a hard time coming up with a poor Democrat member of Congress from MA --- I got nothing.  They don't exist.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
You got that right!  I'm an investor.  I hate to tell this but .... I bought a house for $9,000.00 and put $6,000.00 in repairs into it.  I rent it for $450.00/month and it has never been empty longer than a month.  That is least expensive I have picked up a home.  I have several I bought as really good deals then I have 2 I bought that are renting at a rate to "Just break even".  I bought those 2 homes because they were in good shape in a good area and I could buy them right.  I'll hold them at no cost to me for probably 5 - 10 years then I'll sell them for what the market is right then and make my money.

KC

You are a perfect example of a "good" investor!  :bow:

Maybe you should run for the Senate....you multi-house owner, you!  :-)

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Scott Brown says healthcare for everyone:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Y2sAdDw98[/youtube]

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

You are a perfect example of a "good" investor!  :bow:

Maybe you should run for the Senate....you multi-house owner, you!   :-)

Uhhh Hayle NO!  LOL  I don't think my life could stand the scrutiny.  I was a little wild once upon a time.  I think I'll just stay a multi -home/vehicle owner .....

Thanks though!

KC

*Stolen

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Uhhh Hayle NO!  LOL  I don't think my life could stand the scrutiny.  I was a little wild once upon a time.  I think I'll just stay a multi -home/vehicle owner .....

Thanks though!

KC

Vote Texacon! Texacon! He'll grill you some brisket if you vote for him! Texacon!

Offline zeitgeist

I noticed that right off, too.

This was John Kennedy's seat.

Before that, it belonged to Henry Cabot Lodge, and it's good to see Henry's seat back in the proper hands.

Mother use to like to say "The Cabots speak only to the Lodges and the Lodges speak only to God." :-)

But what she use to say about Ole Joe Kennedy and Uncle Joe Stalin should not be repeated in mixed company.  :o
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Vote Texacon! Texacon! He'll grill you some brisket if you vote for him! Texacon!

LOL  No he won't!  He'll grill you some brisket if you DON'T vote for him though.  Hell, me running would be like a Kinky Friedman candidacy! 

KC

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
LOL  No he won't!  He'll grill you some brisket if you DON'T vote for him though.  Hell, me running would be like a Kinky Friedman candidacy

KC

That was amusing.  It really was.  Poor buddy.  He lost me when he said he was gonna put Willie Nelson as his Transportation Secretary.  I like Willie.  But really?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
He is running for something else this year.

Lt Gov or Attorney General or Highway Sweeper or something

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
That was amusing.  It really was.  Poor buddy.  He lost me when he said he was gonna put Willie Nelson as his Transportation Secretary.  I like Willie.  But really?

You know ... Kinky has some good ideas, some great ideas and some ideas that just make you go  W    T    F   ??

I thought about voting for him just to piss off Governor Good Hair though.  Rick has pissed me off too much for me to vote for him again.

KC

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
You know ... Kinky has some good ideas, some great ideas and some ideas that just make you go  W    T    F   ??

I thought about voting for him just to piss off Governor Good Hair though.  Rick has pissed me off too much for me to vote for him again.

KC

:greet:  Dude.   I hear ya.  Did you hear the debate with Medina last week?  I think I heard she got enough backing to go up on the next one too.  KBH?  No way.  No friggin way.   

I was really dissapointed that Kinky decided to run as a Democrat, and then to drop out.  I was kinda hoping maybe he would confab with the Nuge, and get his act together.  If he had dropped his schtick, and some of his crazy ideas, I think he could have had a decent chance. 

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
:greet:  Dude.   I hear ya.  Did you hear the debate with Medina last week?  I think I heard she got enough backing to go up on the next one too.  KBH?  No way.  No friggin way.   

I was really dissapointed that Kinky decided to run as a Democrat, and then to drop out.  I was kinda hoping maybe he would confab with the Nuge, and get his act together.  If he had dropped his schtick, and some of his crazy ideas, I think he could have had a decent chance. 

I like Medina a lot but she REALLY needs to get off the idea of taxing home sales.  That is going to kill her.

KC

*Stolen

Offline formerlurker

I want to see the transcript for this prior to commenting.  The clip really doesn't cover enough.

Offline Karin

According to the DUmp, with all those houses, Texacon is ineligible to run for public office.  Bobbolink would be perfectly fine. 

Offline formerlurker

Note that it was posted on youtube with ron paul tags....   that said, watch the entire press conference:

http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2010/01/20/HP/A/28715/SenatorElect+Scott+Brown+Press+Briefing.aspx

His comments on healthcare is let the states figure it out -- sure they can work with the federal government, but the states should do it.    He also is very strongly stated he is there to represent MA and the best interest of MA residents.       

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
This comment as part of the Huffington Post thread cracked me up.  It's inth'ane!

uvymopka 

Barney Frank said "This is inth'ane! This couldn't possibly be happening, can't possibly happen! No one should have anything (except me)!!"
Reply     Favorite     Flag as abusive Posted 12:16 PM on 1/16/2010

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

According to the DUmp, with all those houses, Texacon is ineligible to run for public office.  Bobbolink would be perfectly fine. 

Aside from being able to fill out the 'Address' block on the filing documents, anyway!

:rofl:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
Don't even bother.  It's "over $100K", which is the only requirement unless the value is over $1M.

I'd venture to guess the house in Rye would go for at least a half-million.  Ones on the ocean can go for upwards of $3-5M.

Hell, new construction right behind me is still going for around $300K.

ETA: The one in Rye isn't a timeshare.

Well that is a stupid way to list a house's value  :loser: