Author Topic: "Well, when did YOU serve?"  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
"Well, when did YOU serve?"
« on: November 24, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »
arbusto_baboso  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 02:27 PM
Original message

Has a wingnut ever made that statement to you?

Anytime you say anything pro-peace, or what THEY interpret as "anti troops" which can be any range of things, a wingnut is bound to reply "when did YOU serve?"

There's a big issue I have with this line of "logic". First, more often than not, the person asking that question has never served, much in the way he is implying that you have not.

Second, it implies that veterans or currently serving personnel in our military somehow have special, arcane knowledge of all things defense related, which is simply untrue.

Third, there's a severe double standard at work here. John Kerry served and was decorated, Jimmy Carter served honorably, yet Dumbya avoided much of his guard duty, and Reagan served in a friggin' MOVIE UNIT in WWII fer chrissakes! So, one has to be a vet to speak on defense issues, but ONLY if you agree with Rethug opinions on those issues, and if you agree, then you don't have to be much of a vet at all.

Fourth, it implies that somehow veterans have some sort of character traits which put them above the ordinary citizen. While those who do and have served are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice on behalf of their nation and deserve due consideration for that, they are in every other sense no different from everyone else. Most are good people, but some are very much the opposite. Lee Harvey Oswald, Timothy McVeigh and Lyndie England spring to mind.

Fifth, it assumes that all uniformed personnel think the same way. While serving you can't really show any dissent, due to this little thing called the UCMJ. But that doesn't mean that everyone who has ever worn a uniform is a rightie. Far from it.

Finally, if we were to take this thinking to a logical conclusion, then saying you have to have served to say anything critical about the military is like saying you have to have a vagina to have any opinion about abortion, pro or anti-choice. And I'm sure no wingnut would ever agree with that sentiment.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7080331

You DUmmies don't want to play the service record game anymore. Obama didn't serve a single day, John McCain on the other hand a war hero.

LWolf  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 02:27 PM
Response to Original message
1. I serve every day

in America's classrooms.

There is more than one kind of service.

Blowing your teacher doesn't count as service.

Bigmack  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 05:59 PM
Response to Reply #1
37. I've told them to their faces....   Updated at 10:39 PM

4 years in the Marine Corps - including 13 months in Vietnam - and 30 years in a High School classroom. I don't have to do any more to prove my service... or my courage!

I just don't understand how a Marine can be a liberal.

BOSSHOG  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 02:41 PM
Response to Reply #3
18. Me and You Mark

Wer'e just candy assed sissy liberals (who happen to have served in the military)

Meanwhile limbaugh and beck are proud "Patriots."

I can still chew some ass like the ole days so wingnuts who know me don't breach the subject of military service.

And you moonbats consider Obama a patriot. You tell me which one is crazier.

YOY  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 02:32 PM
4. Folks like Taverner and I have served more than your average FReep.

n.t.

Once again giving blowjobs does not count as service.

SIMPLYB1980  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 02:36 PM
10. Our side does the same stupid shit.

Edited on Tue Nov-24-09 02:41 PM by SIMPLYB1980
:shrug:

Obama hasn't served does that make him unfit for CIC?

Nope his policies and hatred of America does though.

onethatcares  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 05:52 PM
Response to Reply #11
36. I can tell by your post my friend that

we agree. All st ronnie ever was, was just an actor. if it wasn't for the screen actors guild, he'd abeen a flop.

Peace.

And yet Ronnie is more loved than Obama can ever hope to be.

arbusto_baboso  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 03:41 PM
Response to Reply #27
29. I've seen some damn good fakers, though.

Some who have only been caught with inquiries into military records. They were good enough to fool many a genuine vet. There are damn few of them, but they do exist.

Like John Kerry?

Iggo  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 04:33 PM
32. "While your daddy was away, I served with your mom."

As good an answer to that bullshit as any.

Yeah like you would survive trying that.

santamargarita  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 06:24 PM
45. The ones I know are chickenshit draft dodgers, like Chickenshit Bush

Obama didn't serve and is saying the war in Afghanistan is necessary. Is he a chicken hawk too?

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline thundley4

Re: "Well, when did YOU serve?"
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »
Obama didn't serve and is saying the war in Afghanistan is necessary. Is he a chicken hawk too?

Nope, just chicken.  I never thought I'd see the day when a French President would have more of my respect, than the US president, but it has happened with Sarkozy and Lord Zero.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
Blowing your teacher doesn't count as service.

Are her students shooting at her? ::)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
The reason we like Beck, Hannity, Rush, Boortz, Levin, etc., is because they support us, you f'n moonbats. You idiots don't. Do you idiots need examples? I can think of about 5 dozen.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:32:13 PM »
The reason we like Beck, Hannity, Rush, Boortz, Levin, etc., is because they support us, you f'n moonbats. You idiots don't. Do you idiots need examples? I can think of about 5 dozen.

Kev, I think they do need examples.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 06:36:58 PM »
DUers are at a loss on that one, McDonald's doesn't have servers, just kitchen and counter staff!

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:37:22 PM »
Kev, I think they do need examples.

The examples I can give, like Murtha, Durbin, Kerry, the moonbats trying to stop the deploying Strykers when I was at Lewis, etc., they'll call "true patriots".

I'm getting to the point where I think their eradication would be for the sake of national defense and self-preservation of this country.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
arbusto_baboso  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 02:27 PM
Original message

Has a wingnut ever made that statement to you?

Anytime you say anything pro-peace, or what THEY interpret as "anti troops" which can be any range of things, a wingnut is bound to reply "when did YOU serve?"

Just for clarification, you loons are not "pro-peace". You are "pro-appeasement". There is a difference.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »
BOSSHOG  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 02:41 PM
Response to Reply #3
18. Me and You Mark

Wer'e just candy assed sissy liberals (who happen to have served in the military)

I can still chew some ass like the ole days so wingnuts who know me don't breach the subject of military service.

Bring it.  I'll have you choking on your dentures inside of five minutes you troop hating POS.

You've done nothing but take a giant dump on soldiers since your stateside service 4 decades ago.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »
Most are good people, but some are very much the opposite. Lee Harvey Oswald, Timothy McVeigh and Lyndie England spring to mind.

Wow. At the DUmp, a presidential assasin and a mass murderer are no worse than a halfwit accused of taunting muslim terrorists.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:20:02 PM »
I just don't understand how a Marine can be a liberal.

I went into the Army in 70. I was RA. Those draftee's were classified as US. At the induction station, all those that were classified as US counted from 1 to 10. All the 10's were the property of the US Marine Corps.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 11:25:53 PM »
And yet they never prove their service and yet talk so big and bad online over at the DUmp. There is more fakers over there then at Kerry's Winter Soldier testimony.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 12:08:12 AM »
The CSM of my training batallion at Fort Gordon was an original draftee.  He had counted number 9.  The Marines took numbers 1 through 8 that day.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 01:46:45 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA

That chickenhawk meme don't work so good roles reversed eh DUmmies.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 03:24:21 AM »
BOSSHOG  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Nov-24-09 02:41 PM
Response to Reply #3
18. Me and You Mark

Drop your e-mail here cocksucker:

liberlatrash@hotmail.com

I'll take your "bong resin soaked brain" hippie fantasies to task straight away and gag your queer ass with truth in the process.

Served indeed...
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 03:26:51 AM »
Are her students shooting at her? ::)

Yes...in a differ manner...
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 01:05:12 PM »
Why is it than when a Marine goes left they go absolutely batshit moonbat spewing crazy?

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 01:14:10 PM »
Why is it than when a Marine goes left they go absolutely batshit moonbat spewing crazy?

Cindie

You assume he ever was a Marine.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:11:44 PM by blitzkrieg_17 »
Caught somewhere in time

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 01:14:58 PM »
Most are good people, but some are very much the opposite. Lee Harvey Oswald, Timothy McVeigh and Lyndie England spring to mind.
Wow. At the DUmp, a communist presidential assasin and a arguably leftist mass murderer are no worse than a halfwit accused of taunting muslim terrorists.

Fixed 'er there for ya... :II:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »
You assume her ever was a Marine.

Even if the DUmbass in question is 'Stolen Valor' bait, we still have the issue of Jack Murtha that validates her point.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »
Where was this thread in 2004?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
Where was this thread in 2004?

Probably in a bong somewhere.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.