Author Topic: Senate confirms Petraeus for Middle East command  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Senate confirms Petraeus for Middle East command
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »
Senate confirms Petraeus for Middle East command

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Thursday overwhelmingly confirmed Army Gen. David Petraeus as commander of the military headquarters responsible for U.S. operations across the Middle East, including Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Senate confirmed him by a vote of 95-2.

It also confirmed 96-1 the nomination of Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno as top commander in Iraq, replacing Petraeus. Odierno, who previously served as Petraeus' deputy in the war, will be promoted to full general.

Central Command is considered the toughest regional military command to lead.

Petraeus and Odierno together implemented a new military strategy credited with helping drive down violence in Iraq.

More

voting against petraeus were sens byrd and harkin.  harkin was the only "nay" vote against odierno.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Re: Senate confirms Petraeus for Middle East command
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »
Will someone remind Byrd that he voted on this?

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 06:53:18 PM »
"This continuity in U.S. military leadership will be helpful in working with regional and Iraqi political and military leaders," said Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Wait until the DUmmies latch on to this one.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
Wont this upset the Daily Kos? (were they the ones who ran the BETRAYUS  ad in the NY Times?)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »
Wont this upset the Daily Kos? (were they the ones who ran the BETRAYUS  ad in the NY Times?)

I believe it was moveon.org, but that is even better.  if I had to pick ONE to piss off, it would definitely
be moveon.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 08:35:43 PM »

I believe it was moveon.org, but that is even better.  if I had to pick ONE to piss off, it would definitely
be moveon.

I read this earlier and I was thinking the same thing.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:37:51 PM »
"This continuity in U.S. military leadership will be helpful in working with regional and Iraqi political and military leaders," said Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

LOL!  that is pretty much why byrd voted against him:

Byrd, chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said he opposed Petraeus in part because the general should see through the operations in Iraq.

With security gains being described as fragile, "it does not seem prudent to remove the mastermind behind the fragile successes that have been thus far achieved," said Byrd, D-W.Va.

at least he admitted that there have been successes.  I am sure he had to force himself to stutter through
that sentence.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »

be moveon.

yes, you're right...good recollection.... :II:

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 06:24:58 AM »

LOL!  that is pretty much why byrd voted against him:

Byrd, chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said he opposed Petraeus in part because the general should see through the operations in Iraq.

With security gains being described as fragile, "it does not seem prudent to remove the mastermind behind the fragile successes that have been thus far achieved," said Byrd, D-W.Va.

at least he admitted that there have been successes.  I am sure he had to force himself to stutter through
that sentence.

:loser2:

Okay, now I'm confused, as Byrd is just as well

Byrd voted against his confirmation because he is being successful??????
That is just so damned lame.
America - Love It, or LEAVE