Author Topic: Some Things Are More Important Than Some Other Things  (Read 1119 times)

Offline CC27

Some Things Are More Important Than Some Other Things
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »
MineralMan (140,379 posts)

Some Things Are More Important Than Some Other Things

Sometimes, what you need is more important than what you want.

Recently, President Biden signed a very large infrastructure bill. Such a bill has been needed now for decades, but hasn't been able to make it through Congress or past the President's desk. Now, the 2021 bill doesn't have everything in it that everyone hoped would be in it, but...it passed and has been signed. It will fix things that need fixing and create a bunch of jobs. What wasn't in it can be delivered in another bill at another time.

Now, the Senate is considering Joe Biden's Build Back Better bill, which also is desperately needed. Some things many people wanted were removed from that bill in the House, because it was clear they wouldn't make it through the Senate. The Senate will probably remove a couple more things before it passes there. Then, it will get passed again in the House and Joe Biden will sign it. It won't be the bill that everyone wanted and it won't contain everything everyone wanted, but it will finally pass and millions of people will benefit.

My wonderful wife and I have been married for almost 30 years now. She mentioned that she would love to get a diamond ring for our anniversary - the diamond ring we couldn't afford 30 years ago. I said, "Sure! OK! You pick out one you like and it's yours." So, she started looking online. "Jebus, those things are expensive!" she said. "Show me one you like," I responded. She did, but said, "That 1-carat total weight 3-diamond ring is just too expensive!" And so it was. I said, "Let me look around."

It didn't take long for me to find a 3-stone, 1-carat total weight diamond ring that looked almost identical to the one she first showed me. I sent her a link to it. I explained that the three stones were J-colored stones with some small inclusions. They weren't perfect, flawless, water white diamonds. The setting was 14k yellow gold, rather than the 18k ring she first found. The price was just 1/3 the price of the other ring. I told her, "The diamonds are set in yellow gold, so the slightly off-color diamonds will look almost exactly the same. The inclusions in those stones will make it a little bit less sparkly, but you won't see them unless you use a loupe."

So, she ordered it. It arrived a week later. She put it on and loved it. Like the infrastructure bill and what will be the BBB bill, it wasn't perfect. However, nobody will ever notice that, even her. It still symbolizes our 30 years of marriage and sparkles on her finger just fine. She loves it. I love it. We love each other. And that's the point. She has that diamond ring now. We could finally afford it.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216095562

WTF does that shit bill have to do with a ring???
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 10:35:23 AM by CC27 »

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Some Things Are More Important Than Some Other Things
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:09 AM »
Well, it looks like Minnesota Moses stiffed his wife.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »
I see he's back to bragging about his inherited money, without crediting his dear parents for their hard work.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »

The allegory makes no sense as it relates to BBB, unless rockhead is jamming a ring up his wife’s rectum despite the righteous howls of indignation from his other wife.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »
"The diamonds are set in yellow gold, so the slightly off-color diamonds will look almost exactly the same. The inclusions in those stones will make it a little bit less sparkly, but you won't see them unless you use a loupe."

Describing the Rectalstructure Bill?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »
Did that garrulous word salad have a

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 03:19:33 PM »
Did that garrulous word salad have a

I trust this was a rhetorical question...  :whatever:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 05:27:00 PM »
I trust this was a rhetorical question...  :whatever:

Pointedly so, :rimshot: . :-)
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »
Pointedly so, :rimshot: . :-)

"Pellucidly Clear"

:-)
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 04:48:00 PM »
"Pellucidly Clear"

:-)

TF is pellucidly and why am I seeing it everywhere all a sudden?
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 05:03:03 PM »
TF is pellucidly and why am I seeing it everywhere all a sudden?

DU member malaise has a habit of saying "Let me make this pellucidly clear."