Author Topic: The Grinches are out in force  (Read 494 times)

Offline Mary Ann

The Grinches are out in force
« on: November 29, 2021, 08:02:21 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216095187
rampartc (4,059 posts)

war on xmas : why we fight

christmas is really for the children, isn't it.

children are taught the story of the shepherds and wise men bringing gifts to the baby in the manger and "hark" the angels singing etc

children are also taught the sick story of jolly old st nick and his lists of "naughty" and "nice."

it does not take long for kids to understand that their schoolmates with more affluent parents seem to be higher on the "nice" list than they are. this fact of life certainly is internalized by the rich kids, who can't wait to show off their new toys to the kids who really needed those shoes and that sweater that santa brought them.

this tradition of conspicuous consumption is detrimental to rich and poor alike, and follows them throughout their lives and all year round. class warfare under a decorated tree.
rownesheck (1,838 posts)

2. Both stories are silly.

One story leads people down the path of authoritarianism and believing in impossible things, while the other creates monsters who lust after consumerism.

Everyone should just be given a gray box as a gift. That way they'll get bored quickly and might actually spend quality time with family.
Throck (2,027 posts)

5. We tuned out commercial Christmas years ago.

And screw all that bogus Christmas music.

Nothing says reduced carbon footprint like LED lights. All 10 megawatts on your house.

We celebrate but not as decadently as some people.

Fight Christmas to save the planet!

XR-5 (89 posts)

16. Thanks for the Laugh

Oh how I hate that song!

I also find nutcrackers as scary as clowns.
Seriously, I had a bad nightmare about nutcrackers as a child.

Nope. I won't go there. It's just too darned easy!

PJMcK (16,498 posts)

13. Perhaps you've missed an important aspect of the War on Christmas

Don't forget that many RWNJs are deeply invested in believing the mythology surrounding Christmas. They see us liberals as being godless heathens that threaten their beliefs and by extension, their entire existence.

As a poster above noted, belief in the Christmas myth leads one to believe in non-existent magic leading to authoritarianism while the silly childhood belief in Santa feeds the capitalistic consumerism found in much of our society. Those are some really bad lessons we teach our children.
DUpipo can suck the joy out of anything. What a bunch of sourpusses.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
Re: The Grinches are out in force
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:13:27 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216095187Fight Christmas to save the planet!
Nope. I won't go there. It's just too darned easy!
DUpipo can suck the joy out of anything. What a bunch of sourpusses.

In a nutshell, what they're saying is, "I can't afford to buy presents on my SSDI of $800 a month so the hell with it all".
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Online 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 08:33:15 AM »
In a nutshell, what they're saying is, "I can't afford to buy presents on my SSDI of $800 a month so the hell with it all".

All the while not recognizing that the very SSDI they receive is a gift from all the working folks and yet no thank you.  :mad:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 09:04:52 AM »
Quote from:
underpants (165,083 posts)

Hey DU! We need to start planning the 🎄 War on Christmas 🎄

I know, last year we were all taking a breather after the election but damn it we need to get going on this. It was either Sun Tzu or Patton who said, “Those who fail to prepare before Walgreens gets their Christmas stuff up is preparing for failure”.

Okay so much of their troops have been redirected to fighting Critical Race Theory dissertations in elementary schools which is either some brilliant work by G2 on our part or just dumb luck. This may help isolate them if we have effective single envelope maneuver.

Now this whole Just In Time inventory collapse is like a weather anomaly but we’ll take. Boy gotta love that capitalism devouring its own commercialization of a holiday. Thank you God!

Anyway, I do think we need to get going on this.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215923690

https://conservativecave.com/cave/index.php?topic=126396.msg1488893#msg1488893

Look who got their wish!!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 09:57:37 AM »
DU-Bah-Humbuggers singing their annual Economic Envy Carol.

Christians who believe Jesus' coming was meaningful understand that coming very differently than do many Libs & Progs. More like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93WaqykUHTk

(nice country-rock 1970s Jesus Music from Daniel Amos)
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 03:23:49 PM »
What lovely rays of sunshine these DUmmies are, bringing so much happiness and joy to everyone around them!
They're being good little Communists too, combining class warfare, a demonization of capitalism, and anti- Christian hatemongering in a single post!

My Christmas this year will likely not be one of the best I've ever had. See, I'll be spending it with my parents like I always do, and my mother (Who usually handles most of the Christmas- related stuff, from shopping to baking sweet- rolls for Christmas morning) almost died last June when a blood clot caused her to faint and hit her head.
 She's recovering slowly yet surely, but regaining her eyesight (The fall seems to have damaged the nerves connecting her brain to her eyeballs) is proving to be a very gradual process, and she is thus in no shape to do any of what she usually does this time of year. I'll try my best to take over her baking, but Dad said instead of presents we'll each just get cash.
However, while this is not ideal, not only do I perfectly understand why it's the case, but I'll STILL celebrate Christmas with a big smile on my face and make the best of everything, grateful both that Mom is still with us, and just in general for this wonderful time of year which is so much deeper than presents.
I'll joyously sing carols in church, watch my favorite Christmas movies and TV specials (I'm compiling my list of them), and most importantly, celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior.

My philosophy on Christmas also contains another element, one which the DUmmies are (Big surprise here) too ignorant and hate- filled to understand or bring up in their posts, and which I think is best expressed through two different- yet- similar pop- cultural quotes:
1. “But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round -- apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that -- as a good time: a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, Uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!" Fred, 'A Christmas Carol.'

2. "It's Christmas Eve! It's... it's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we smile a little easier, we... we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year, we are the people that we always hoped we would be." Frank Cross, 'Scrooged.'

In short, even not taking into account that we are celebrating the birth of Christ, it is a season of kindness, cheer and goodwill, all things that I think we can all agree we have been in desperate need of for quite a while.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 06:44:14 PM by Movie buff- The Sequel »

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 04:38:50 PM »
I used to hear quite a bit about how suicides spiked around Christmas time. It wasn't until I started reading DU that I realized where most of them probably came from.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 05:59:09 PM »
belief in the Christmas myth leads one to believe in non-existent magic leading to authoritarianism

Thou shalt have no other Gods besides the STATE!

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 08:35:52 PM »
What a humorless and sour group of people DUmbasses are. It's no wonder they've cut ties with their families. Nobody wants such people like them around to ruin the celebration.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 08:51:59 PM »
What a humorless and sour group of people DUmbasses are. It's no wonder they've cut ties with their families. Nobody wants such people like them around to ruin the celebration.
You got it!

Online enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 10:47:35 AM »
rownesheck (1,838 posts)

2. Both stories are silly.

One story leads people down the path of authoritarianism and believing in impossible things, while the other creates monsters who lust after consumerism.

Christianity is authoritarianism?  You are a sad, misinformed lost sheep.  Also, last I checked, statisticians had figured the odds of the universe randomly spawning from nothingness was deep in statistical impossibility territory.   
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.