Author Topic: still more woes for Big Mo  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: still more woes for Big Mo
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
Filthy,crazy DUmbass haz a sad.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »
Big Mo has had it.

Well, it's pretty pathetic, when all these detractors are mere lumpenunterprimitiven, primitives who don't count, and Big Mo has to rely upon the lonely support of franksolich--from the other side--to defend her.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
To get the full effect of what Mo did to the lot in question, be sure to check out the street view from 2011:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0125731,-87.6775268,3a,75y,175.19h,85.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saNEOArHxY1_Zy1IzfgDPPQ!2e0

Ha! In 2011 there was a fence with no gate, now there is a gate with no fence.

Really bad timing.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline Chris_

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »

Really bad timing.
Classy. :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »

Well, yeah, but she did put a new lock on it.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2014, 12:02:24 AM »
There was a rooster somewhere around where I lived in California, it SUCKED. I never like hearing it just as the sun came up...ever.  I would be so pissed if I lived next door to that. She is insane.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2014, 01:24:55 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/MoahsArk

:whistling:

You can get a really good look at the broken down truck- err, chicken coop, there. 

My favorite detail is discovering the half brick hanging from a piece of twine from the coop's driver side mirror.

A close second was discovering that Judy the Addled isn't the only primitive who owns a little red wagon full of garbage.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:34:44 AM by BattleHymn »

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2014, 02:15:53 AM »
Well, Big Mo killed her own thread, but a lot more primitive comments were made, before that.

MineralMan (67,527 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 03:37 PM

60. Sorry you're having trouble with the city.

Since you posted the address of this vacant lot, I used Google Streetview to have a look. It does appear to be a bit out of character for the neighborhood. I think it's great to do urban farms, but neighbors are going to object to anything that seems out of character in the neighborhood, I'd think.

While your idea is a good one, I wonder if something more conventional would pass muster better with the city officials. I don't know, but things like an old pickup used as a chicken coop probably aren't the best way to avoid complaints from others living on that block. Does Chicago even allow chickens in residential neighborhoods?

I'm afraid that your efforts are likely not to be appreciated by everyone, and I imagine some neighbor has been complaining to the authorities. Life's complex in urban neighborhoods at times.

shireen (7,753 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 03:52 PM

68. i've been following her farm on FB

Mo has gone out of her way to invite neighbors over to see the place, share produce, answer their questions. She's even had open house events for them that have gone well. From comments I've read, many neighbors appreciate what she's doing once they come to understand it.

This is really really sad. Mo is doing important work, and I wish the city could be a bit more accommodating with her startup farm.

MineralMan (67,527 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 03:57 PM

70. It only takes one neighbor who doesn't like it.

I live in an urban neighborhood in St. Paul, MN. I can tell you that you cannot get everyone on board with anything out of the ordinary in my neighborhood. Like I said, urban farming is a good thing, but it's going to get complained about if it doesn't fit into the neighborhood. I don't know about any Facebook page about this, but I wonder how many of those commenting there live on that block, really.

Cities run on rules. The rules may not always make sense, but the city generally enforces them when there are complaints by neighbors. That's the problem with doing unusual things in residential neighborhoods.

Maybe the answer is to get all of those friendly neighbors together, clean up that lot and farm it in a more conventional way as a neighborhood project. I get the alternative cultivation stuff, but that doesn't mean everyone thinks it's cool and innovative. For some, it's just an eyesore. Neighborhoods are not farms in rural areas. Do weird stuff and people will complain. It's guaranteed.

mopinko (42,356 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 04:45 PM

78. so i should let a few whiners run my life?

**** that. i am not doing anything wrong.

and i should just tell all the folks that love it too bad, right?

and for the umpteenth time in this thread, it is not a ****ing pick up truck.

MineralMan (67,527 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 04:54 PM

83. I didn't say that in any way.

I said that it only takes one neighbor's complaint to get the city interested in your "farm."

I doubt if there's only one, really, in truth.

It's difficult to do something unusual in a residential neighborhood in a city without upsetting someone who lives nearby. Even building a fence around a yard can set someone off and get them to complain. Then, if you didn't get the requisite permit, the city can make you remove the fence or pay a large fine.

In cities, which always have the toughest restrictions on stuff, dotting is an crossing ts is always a good idea.

See, I don't mind your eclectic sort of gardening project. I wouldn't complain. But I'm not all of your neighbors. One of them, at least, did complain, and now you've got the city on your back. And once they drop by, all of the things you may have neglected on your properties become fodder for their workday.

As for it not being, as you say, a "****ing pick up truck," I'm afraid I can't see the connection. You have a vehicle as a chicken coop. It's unlikely that it meets Chicago's backyard chicken ordinance, if they even allow chickens. So, one more thing for them to put on the list.

Living outside of the norms is a good thing. We need more of it. But, when it calls attention to itself, it also may get unwanted attention. I'm afraid that you're unlikely to convert the city to your idea of what makes up an urban farm, really. Now that they have a list of "violations," about the only way you're going to get to farm that lot is to tear it all down and start over, once you get the other stuff they found cleared up. Stuff tends to multiply when people nose around.

You can get angry with me. I don't mind. But what I'm saying reflects the reality of doing unusual stuff in the middle of a city neighborhood. It rarely lasts long. Just one complaint and the fun's soon over.

mopinko (42,356 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 07:18 PM

92. what you are saying is full of supposition that does not happen to be true.

and the rest is "get in line" bullshit.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2014, 02:18:32 AM »
Jamastiene (33,704 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 03:40 PM

63. Question about the truck:

How did you turn it into a chicken coop? I wonder because where I live, it would be more like a chicken cooker. I have a neighbor who has about 6 or 7 cars in his backyard. You can't see them from the road, but as a neighbor, I can see them. They are all rusted and doing nothing really. It's nice to see someone try to do something nice with a piece of land and if what you are doing ends up with food coming from it, you must be doing something right. Best bet might be to move out of the city. Live somewhere where you can farm until your heart is content and not be hassled.

mopinko (42,356 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 06:06 PM

89. not goin nowhere. period.

if i aint free where i stand, nobody is free.

we gutted the mechanicals. the parts were all sold and are now in use.

we pulled out everything from the inside, lined the floor with 2 layers of 1/4' hardware cloth, and covered it with rolled rubber roofing that we burned down.

we covered the windows with hardware cloth, but they still go up and down fine, so climate control is one of its strong points.

we reinforced the few rusty spots, and plugged up holes, like the heat vents.

so far we have had one incursion of rodents, during the polar vortex. we found the hole, and corked it. end of rodents.

we put the seats back in, put baskets on one which they lay in. put more on the floor in the front.

we recycled a couple of old wooden ladders for roosts, putting them over the seats and in the back.

they are closed in safely at night, and i open a back door to let them out in the morning.

since the engine compartment is empty, we have a nice dry storage space for extra bedding, etc.

the tires still hold air, so it is dry and off the ground, so nothing can burrow in.

i really have never seen a safer, sounder coop.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2014, 02:21:00 AM »
yellowcanine (25,986 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 03:48 PM

66. This lady is not an "urban farmer"

She has a small flock of backyard chickens and some garden vegetables and a few fruit trees. She sells none of it. It is an insult to real farmers to call her garden a farm. No real farmer is going to house a flock of chickens in an old pickup truck. The place actually sounds like a dump, with only some of the citations relating to "farming" activities. Sorry but this is bs.

mopinko (42,356 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 04:42 PM

75. i dont sell anything because we are not that far along in the process.

this is only the 3rd year, and most of our efforts have been toward growing decent soil.

an urban farm and a country farm are not the same thing.

and it isnt a pick up truck. it is a painstakingly retrofitted chevy suburban.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2014, 02:24:01 AM »
Tsiyu (16,704 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 05:35 PM

87. You need Black Jesus

and some of his special tomato sauce

Sorry for the levity; couldn't resist. Black Jesus is having the same problem you are....

This totally sucks. I can't believe your neighbors would rather have a vacant lot than a thriving, productive food source right nearby.

People are idiots. Busy-body, ignorant, control freak idiots.

Good luck to you, mopinko

Phentex (9,918 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 06:31 PM

90. I am not a farmer but...

I love the idea of the chicken coop in a truck!

We had neighbors who grew corn in their side yard and they got talked about but nobody reported anything. We don't have any sort of homeowners association. We had another lady who had bees and some neighbors did pitch a fit about that. I am of the live and let live variety and I like gardens of every kind. I am not overly fond of the totally manicured lawn for the sake of a lawn and I'd much prefer a neighbor with a yard like yours.

The house stuff? You admit you can fix those things, so I guess that's what ya gotta do.

But I hate busy body neighbors and rules for the sake of rules so I hope you can keep your "farm" as is. Good luck!

mopinko (42,356 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 07:10 PM

91. the house stuff was on the list.

a couple had already been repaired and the will do what i can about the rest. but there is not a person on this block, or for a couple of blocks around that has put more work into their house than me.

it is a 110 yo greystone, and i have done extensive rehab and refit. i wont say it is the nicest place around, but i seriously have done more with it than anyone around.

i dont really intend to change anything besides that, tho. the complaint goes from bogus to delusional.

thanks. and i really is a great coop. so many people do love it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2014, 02:25:17 AM »
LeftyMom (47,017 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 08:03 PM

104. Is this the tenant whose child you wanted to steal?

You're lucky she only called code enforcement.

^^^the primitive's now on franksolich's shit list.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »
and it isnt a pick up truck. it is a painstakingly retrofitted chevy suburban.
lol

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »
Any one else doubtful of her claim she gives her produce away free.

Actually that's about the only thing in the whole tale of travail that I think she is telling straight-up.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »
Y'know, reading this poor, miserable tale of woe puts me in a Beverly Hillbilly frame of mind. Without the oil. Perhaps she should sit out on the front porch in a rocking chair with a shotgun across her lap and put out some handpainted signs that say "City Revenuers Shot on Site!"

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
Y'know, reading this poor, miserable tale of woe puts me in a Beverly Hillbilly frame of mind. Without the oil. Perhaps she should sit out on the front porch in a rocking chair with a shotgun across her lap and put out some handpainted signs that say "City Revenuers Shot on Site!"

And add one of them thar cement ponds next to the non pickup truck truck.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
And add one of them thar cement ponds next to the non pickup truck truck.

Well, at least a still for her "rheumatism" medicine.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2014, 10:54:34 AM »

In the Greater Shitcargo area, they'd just write her a felony gun charge for that, one way or another.

Hey DUmmies, maybe one-party rule by Democrats is not such a great idea, huh?

:-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2014, 11:39:17 AM »
She could have avoided all this aggravation if she had done the right thing first.
Consulted franksolich !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2014, 11:47:58 AM »
She could have avoided all this aggravation if she had done the right thing first.
Consulted franksolich !

Word!  But, they all make that mistake, don't they.

Offline Dori

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
To get the full effect of what Mo did to the lot in question, be sure to check out the street view from 2011:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0125731,-87.6775268,3a,75y,175.19h,85.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saNEOArHxY1_Zy1IzfgDPPQ!2e0

That looks a lot better than Mo's mess.  She needs to sell and go find herself some "real" farm property out in the country. 

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »

I think most people's conception of an "urban farm" would be something along the lines of a small number of well-tended beds, pruned trees, and a general disciplined cleanliness in keeping with the surroundings. What this insane, horrible, mentally ill woman has done is plant a bunch of shit, do a pisspoor job of maintaining it, and then turn her nose up at people who have the temerity to be critical, or at least to request that the smell and the critters be checked.

All to which I say, congrats, Chicago liberals, and enjoy what your aesthetic has wrought.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2014, 12:38:52 PM »
mopinko (42,356 posts)    Wed Oct 8, 2014, 04:45 PM

78. so i should let a few whiners run my life?

**** that. i am not doing anything wrong.

and i should just tell all the folks that love it too bad, right?

and for the umpteenth time in this thread, it is not a ****ing pick up truck.

You are violating the laws and regulations put in place by the very people you have chosen to rule your life.

:ownit:

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »

Wed Oct 8, 2014, 10:46 AM

Star Member mopinko (42,356 posts)

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (mopinko) on Wed Oct 8, 2014, 07:04 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

It was a good run,,,,while it lasted.

"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17