Author Topic: Whoa Dude, Low Doses of THC Can Halt Brain Damage  (Read 543 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Whoa Dude, Low Doses of THC Can Halt Brain Damage
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »
DeSwiss (17,278 posts)

Low Doses of THC Can Halt Brain Damage

Last edited Thu May 30, 2013, 10:57 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

Source: American Friends Tel Aviv University

Extremely low doses of marijuana's psychoactive component protect brain before and after injury, says TAU researcher

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Though marijuana is a well-known recreational drug, extensive scientific research has been conducted on the therapeutic properties of marijuana in the last decade. Medical cannabis is often used by sufferers of chronic ailments, including cancer and post-traumatic stress disorder, to combat pain, insomnia, lack of appetite, and other symptoms.

Now Prof. Yosef Sarne of Tel Aviv University's Adelson Center for the Biology of Addictive Diseases at the Sackler Faculty of Medicine says that the drug has neuroprotective qualities as well. He has found that extremely low doses of THC — the psychoactive component of marijuana — protects the brain from long-term cognitive damage in the wake of injury from hypoxia (lack of oxygen), seizures, or toxic drugs. Brain damage can have consequences ranging from mild cognitive deficits to severe neurological damage.

Previous studies focused on injecting high doses of THC within a very short time frame — approximately 30 minutes — before or after injury. Prof. Sarne's current research, published in the journals Behavioural Brain Research and Experimental Brain Research, demonstrates that even extremely low doses of THC — around 1,000 to 10,000 times less than that in a conventional marijuana cigarette — administered over a wide window of 1 to 7 days before or 1 to 3 days after injury can jumpstart biochemical processes which protect brain cells and preserve cognitive function over time.

This treatment, especially in light of the long time frame for administration and the low dosage, could be applicable to many cases of brain injury and be safer over time, Prof. Sarne says.

Read more: http://www.aftau.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=18625

- From cars to cancer, from hemp clothing, to brain damage repair, is there nothing this 'lil plant can't do!?!?!

That's the picture the DUmmy posted, not me. 12 responses, 24 recommendations for the greatest page.  DUmmies love their weed, and to be honest, I'm not anti-pot.  I just don't partake anymore for a number of reasons.

But I love this response:

Fiendish Thingy (1,101 posts)
10. In other news, even small amounts of THC can affect the ability to spell "exist" nt

:lmao:

Now, the picture I am inserting into the conversation:

:cheersmate:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Whoa Dude, Low Doses of THC Can Halt Brain Damage
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
Get this to DUmmy Bennyboy!

Weed cures squeamish carcinoma AND makes you smarter!

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 02:51:45 PM »
Get this to DUmmy Bennyboy!

Weed cures squeamish carcinoma AND makes you smarter!

Cliff expounds his "Buffalo Theory" to Norm:

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »
Cliff expounds his "Buffalo Theory" to Norm:

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

Hemp has little to no THC, as George Washington grew hemp and to this day we find materials made from hemp still in good shape, [ like the curtains over 100 years old that I received from Mom,]  This stuff lasts for ever it seems.

Hemp is one of the few plants that renew the soil when it goes bad, Feller in town found a 100 foot length of hemp rope in a boat house.   The rope was in perfect condition and aged at 80 years old.

I was told , true or not that the cotton and wool industry's came in to prevent the planting of hemp. 

As it is a cousin to Marijuana without the THC, so is it a cousin to the tomato plant.

We are getting nuts here, in the south west where drought has come in, to plant a drought residence plant that will improve the soil so in 2 years one can not  plant crops is insane.

Hemp is a wonderful plant, buy a hemp shirt and years later the great grand kids can wear it.

The expression to go smoke a rope is NUTS, may as well smoke cat nip or banana leaves.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:57:58 PM »
Hemp has little to no THC, as George Washington grew hemp and to this day we find materials made from hemp still in good shape, [ like the curtains over 100 years old that I received from Mom,]  This stuff lasts for ever it seems.

Hemp is one of the few plants that renew the soil when it goes bad, Feller in town found a 100 foot length of hemp rope in a boat house.   The rope was in perfect condition and aged at 80 years old.

I was told , true or not that the cotton and wool industry's came in to prevent the planting of hemp. 

As it is a cousin to Marijuana without the THC, so is it a cousin to the tomato plant.

We are getting nuts here, in the south west where drought has come in, to plant a drought residence plant that will improve the soil so in 2 years one can not  plant crops is insane.

Hemp is a wonderful plant, buy a hemp shirt and years later the great grand kids can wear it.

The expression to go smoke a rope is NUTS, may as well smoke cat nip or banana leaves.
Hell, the US government produced a Hemp for victory movie during WWII.  It exists, but they deny and suppress it. 

The main reason marijuana was made illegal in the first place had to do with the end of the prohibition on alcohol.  Congress realized that alot of federal agents would be out of a job during the great depression without something for them to pursue, so they decided to make marijuana illegal so the federal agents could keep working.  Hemp was outlawed because it looks like marijuana, and could lead to the federal agents making mistakes.

I smoked marijuana a couple of times, I won't admit where or why, and all I got was a headache both times.  I fail to see the attraction.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
Heeeey maaaaan... I knew a guy who smoked all the time, and he was an idiot maaan.

I have never smoked, but I was offered. I smelled it before in hallways where I used to live. I hated that smell.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:42:39 AM »
Heeeey maaaaan... I knew a guy who smoked all the time, and he was an idiot maaan.

I have never smoked, but I was offered. I smelled it before in hallways where I used to live. I hated that smell.
I can say the exact same thing. Word for word. Hi5.

I've seen its effects on my brother. The drug is not harmless. Only a fool would say otherwise. any medicinal value is moot. A medicine can be distilled to pill form with no high. This claim is just a smoke screen (pun intended).

As to the title, I doubt any DUmmy has ever taken "Low doses." The posts at DU are proof that hemp does make you stupid.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »