Author Topic: DUmmies getting sick of the "I'm telling"- wants serial alerters restricted  (Read 431 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/124070253

Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:00 PM

Star Member Amerigo Vespucci (28,461 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

View profile

How's this for an idea...3 "trivial/bullshit alerts" and a DUer loses alert privileges.

Last edited Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:02 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
Just got a jury duty request. The alerter complained that the meanie in question was being "snarky." After selecting "LEAVE IT," I started to type in something along the lines of "Oh, for ****'S SAKE, grow the **** up" and decided to submit my vote without comment.

Then when I got the results, I see two other jurors had a similar reaction and did post comments. So I'm not alone in my fatigue over trivial / bullshit alerts.

When DU3 was first launched, most of the jury duty requests that came my way were alerts on people who were clearly, blatantly out of line.

It has since degenerated into "I'm going to tell Mom" bullshit and a waste of everyone's time.

In addition to "Leave It" and "Hide It," I'd like to see some kind of "False Alarm" flag. A DUer gets three of these from the jury and loses "alert" privileges.

Hey, it's just a thought. I am clearly not the guy who would have to write the code to make it happen.

How about all posts have to be cleared with the Politburo MIRTS commissars before being posted.

redqueen (94,422 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
2. Yep, the admins have spoken and apparently this whole serial alerter crisis or whatever it's called

View profile
is about as valid and serious of an issue as the summer of the shark (which is to say, not at all).

Not sure why we're still seeing all this boohooing over it.

You're getting close to 6 figures. You life will then become officially worthless.

LoZoccolo (29,287 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
7. P.S. I don't know if all the "serial alerter" plan people know this but a few days ago

View profile
Skinner basically laughed you all off and 95 people recommended the thread, ha ha ha ha ha!

Plus, a "serial alerter" plan could just be knocked down by a league of civility, I outlined the plan also this week and it looks like it upset some people. That would mean that it might work. Because people are scared of it. The plans are all mush. Deal with your alerts!

Skimmer has more important issues to deal with than the likes of DUmmies.

Electric Monk (5,253 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
8. Your mission to make DU worse continues, I see. Please, just go away.

Which was alerted on.

the results:

Son of Gob (472 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
11. Here are the results

View profile
ALERTER'S COMMENTS:

personal attack

You served on a randomly-selected Jury of DU members which reviewed this post. The review was completed at Sun Apr 1, 2012, 12:16 AM, and the Jury voted 0-6 to LEAVE IT.

Juror #1 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: I agree with Electric Monk.
Juror #2 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: This alert may be just what the OP was talking about in this thread...false alarm! I'd say, considering the post this one is replying to, it'd be what is commonly known as "tit for tat"; no need to hide, since snide often spawns even more snide, here at DU.
Juror #3 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: Post should stay only because it is a reply to a taunt. "Tit for tat", kind of thing.
Juror #4 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: What the OP should've typed and so should I.
Juror #5 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: No explanation given
Juror #6 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: They need to go get a room.

Thank you very much for participating in our Jury system, and we hope you will be able to participate again in the future.

RC (17,707 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
26. Learn somethin' new everday.

View profile
Telling another DUer to "go away" is beyond the pale

I wonder how long it will be when anything less than 100% support for a post will be seen as an attack?

"Go away" is beyond the pale? You weren't the poster that alerted on 'inane' as a personal attack on a DU're were you?

Suspicious bunch, aren't they?

Amerigo Vespucci (28,461 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
43. I think a person who cries to mommy that a DUer is being "snarky" to them...

View profile

Last edited Sun Apr 1, 2012, 02:02 PM USA/ET - Edit history (2)
...needs to be slapped repeatedly until they stop crying.

Did I answer your question?

ON EDIT: If you read my original post (clearly you did NOT, you skimmed it until you got to the point where you felt you could reply to me with some faux "J'ACCUSE" outrage), you'd see that I was advocating a majority consensus of jurors called into bogus jury duty. If a majority thought it was a trivial bullshit waste of time, the DUer who cried to mommy should receive credit for being trivial, a waste of time, and full of shit.

Hope I cleared things up for ya, tough guy.

taterguy (25,360 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
53. Just call a bunch of people dumbass

View profile
a) You'll lower your odds of serving.

b) You'll end up on a bunch of jury blacklists.

We do. Believe me, we do.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Oh! I was going to bring this subject over here, I was just going to post links because there are so many threads of people complaining about the Alert System.

:cheersmate:
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Sometimes I'm concerned about a mole being sniffed out by always voting to leave crazy posts alone.

But, honestly, when you have a chance to leave up a post by some lunatic that makes the DUmp look like an insane asylum, how can you vote to hide it?

The way I look at it, on any jury there is almost surely another mole, maybe more. You are not alone.

So no matter how crazy the post, it will probably get at least two votes.

Offline Airwolf

Yes GOD forbid that there are any dissenting opinions on DU. Can't have that kind of thing going on now can we comrades .
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
I now know why Skins created the jury system. I'd have made myself a regular member years ago if I had to deal with that many whiny bitches. He was smart taking himself out of the loop, save the financial aspect, though I can see the jury system causing the downfall of the DUmp.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site