Author Topic: primitives get Jesuitical  (Read 2094 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives get Jesuitical
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2675848

Oh my.

CorpGovActivist  (1000+ posts)       Sun Jan-13-08 06:45 PM
Original message

What Exactly Is a "Jesuitical Argument"? 

Yikes.

I'm re-watching the interview that Senator Clinton gave on MTP from earlier today, and the series of questions about her IWR vote produced this quote:

"You know, look, judgment is not a single snapshot. Judgment is what you do across the course of your life and your career ..."

Russert tries to ask a follow-up, and the two talk over each other for a moment.

"You know, well, you know, Tim, we could have this - uh - Jesuitical - uh - argument about what exactly was meant. You know, when Chuck Hagel, who helped to draft the resolution said it was not a vote for war, when I was told directly by the White House in response to my question - if you are given this authority, will you put the inspectors in and permit them to finish their job - I was told that's exactly what we intended to do. Now, I think it's important to take a look at the entire context here. If Senator Obama is gonna get credit for his speech and his position against the war, then he deserves to be asked what happened in Oh-3, Oh-4, Oh-5, Oh-6, and Oh-7."

Oh, brother.

But wouldn't that devolve into a Jesuitical Argument?

- Dave

P.S. On edit, here is the MTP page with the Netcast and transcript.

P.P.S. On further edit, I thought just about everyone knew about Tim Russert's Catholic upbringing, education, and background, given his frequent mentions of Sister Lucille. Edited to provide that additional context.

Oh my again.

Given what the primitives "know" or "understand" about Christianity, one suspects there's not a Mother Lode of information about Jesuits among the primitives on Skins' island.

And the primitives don't disappoint, although some at first get it right.

progressoid  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-13-08 08:15 PM
Response to Reply #15

31. Don't you find your statement rather contradictory?

You said "and to not accept something just because some "authority" says it's so."

Your statement strikes me as ironic considering the Roman Catholic Church's reliance on authority, Papal infallibility, etc. Indeed, the entire structure of the Church seems to be built on the idea of accepting the edicts of it's authorities.

My guess is that any Jesuit Priest that questions the authority of the Church a little too much, wouldn't be a Jesuit Priest for long.

Methinks the regressoid primitive needs to read something about the history of the Jesuits.

It's a reasonably large campfire, and utterly entertaining (at least to those of us intimately acquainted with the history of the Jesuits), as the primitives strive very hard to come to an agreement about the meaning of the word.

Too much to copy-and-paste, but the usual speed-bump:

OPERATIONMINDCRIME  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-14-08 12:34 AM
Response to Original message

46. Ya Know, She Totally Kicked Ass This Morning. That Must Be Eating You Up Inside.

Just sayin...

OPERATIONMINDCRIME  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-14-08 12:44 AM
Response to Reply #48

51. Eatttttttttin Ya Up Inside. LOL

OPERATIONMINDCRIME  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-14-08 12:49 AM
Response to Reply #53

56. Eatttttttin Ya Up Inside, That Competent Performance From Her Is.

I can hear ya munchin on your TUMS all the way over here!

And for the record, your surface may not reflect, but it most certainly is transparent...

Nighty nite!

And Doug's ex-wife, the lapsed Catholic, the faux Latina, tries to help.

apres moi, le deluge