Author Topic: primitives discuss what to do first  (Read 404 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss what to do first
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1158629

Oh my.

The chronically-helpless primitive, who batters the other primitives with her constant questions.

Paper Roses (4,394 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

What would you do first? I have my new(old) leather chair ready to put to use.

Love the chair, I vacuumed it out yesterday and today I bought leather conditioner.

There are some scratches and dried lines that show. Should I take shoe polish to the scratches and lines first , then use the conditioner or the other way around.

If I can get these lighter lines to blend in with the chair, it will look great. The condition of the leather is great but you can tell it was never treated. The lines, which look like scratches are because it is so dry.

I hope to do the sequence properly but can't seem to find the correct info in my searches.

northoftheborder (2,313 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

1. I wouldn't use shoe polish, as it might come off on clothes when sat upon.

Ruby the Liberal (13,622 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

2. I had a heather green leather couch once and 2 cats. 'nuff said.

What I did was head to the Hobby Lobby (craft store) and bought a fine/medium tip felt pen that was the same shade (or very, very close). You need to be careful, but trace the pen over the scratches and lines, following immediately with a soft cloth to buff the wet ink.

Once dry, you can use leather cleaner/polish to finish it off.

My mother (who can see a single black cat hair on a black coat from 50 yards) couldn't see what I had done, even after I pointed it out.

Not handy, I was rather proud of myself over that one. It was an EXPENSIVE couch and I didn't have the money to replace it, even with a cheaper one.

franksolich does something even easier and cheaper.

When a piece of furniture out here gets dirty or unsafe to use, he pitches it and gets a replacement at the thrift store.

Such as the time that one primitive woman slept on the reclining chair in the living room here; after she was taken away, I dragged it out to the front porch, and later on in the day the property caretaker and I tore it apart for garbage disposal.  And then the next day, when I was in the big city, I picked up another reclining chair for five bucks at the Red Shield store.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Delmar

Re: primitives discuss what to do first
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:00:13 PM »
I would think that saddle soap might be useful.  I bet that longview would know what's best for something like that.  She probably knows about how to take care of a saddle, so a leather couch should be a snap.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
What I did was head to the Hobby Lobby (craft store) and bought a fine/medium tip felt pen that was the same shade (or very, very close). You need to be careful, but trace the pen over the scratches and lines, following immediately with a soft cloth to buff the wet ink.

I thought Hobby Lobby was like holy water to a vampire for a primitive? 

Also, I use mink oil on all my leather stuff.  Just imagine, you primitives, how many minks had to be butchered and squeezed for their oils just so that I could have supple leather seats in my cars.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
Paging Nads to the white courtesy phone . Paging Nads to the white courtesy phone........

You know she'll claim to be an expert in fixing this too.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »
Paging Nads to the white courtesy phone . Paging Nads to the white courtesy phone........

You know she'll claim to be an expert in fixing this too.
Nah, her domestic experience and wisdom all stem from her life in that shithole south of the border.

Down there, if someone brings in a leather chair, someone else in the household will make soup out of it.