Author Topic: How much money is wasted today on food? - A reminder of a truly odd thread  (Read 618 times)

Offline Aristotelian

RB TexLa  (1000+ posts)      Thu Nov-24-11 08:31 PM
Original message
How much money is wasted today on food?
 What is the average amount spent on food today?

I spent $1.79 for a package of lunch meat, what ever the cost of the mustard I dipped it in is (maybe $.30) $3.50 for a bag of corn chips and $1.78 for salsa. Sorry North American economy, you aren't getting my money today. Actually I'm not sorry at all, quite proud.

How much did you waste on food today?

DUmp Link

It takes a truly sad individual to consider spending money on a shared meal with family and friends to be a waste...fortunately most of the DUmmies realise that - though they don't tend to waste food they just scrounge a meal from their 'fundy wing-nut' relatives and take the opportunity to attack and ridicule them.

But then a DUmmy with a far better memory than I recalls one of the truly oddest threads I've ever seen on the DUmp.

Electric Monk  (1000+ posts)        Thu Nov-24-11 08:41 PM
Response to Original message
6. I don't eat with you.

It rang a bell in my little brain, and with a few moments of nadining I found the original thread from way back in 2006.

RB TexLa  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jul-03-06 10:02 PM
Original message
Why would the phrase "I don't drink with you" upset someone?

At a party with my wife's co-workers one woman kept asking me if I wanted a drink. I told her no thank you each time, after several offers she asked why I didn't want a drink and I said "I don't drink with you." I was there to accompany my wife to a party with her co-workers, it was not appropriate for me to consume their food and beverages.

Link to old DUmp thread

Not sure if anybody else remembers it from the first time around...but the keen social skills which RB TexLa showed back then have clearly lead to him spending Thanksgiving alone this year after his wife left him.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: How much money is wasted today on food? - A reminder of a truly odd thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
Unfortunately it has become a multi million dollar business to keep us from wasting food.

Zip lock bags, Tupper Whare and Glad containers to store uneaten food.   How many of us find mystery meat in the back of the fridge ?   Clean out the vege. crisper's to find a bunch of spoiled veges we do not recognise.

Anyone get this horrid smell in the kitchen to track it down to a potato in the back of a bin or behind the toaster??

We do waste food, each and everyone of us.   We could use a cooking show that teaches us how to cook leftovers, how not to wast food.

1800 ditties here Brit I believe.

Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot 9 days old. 

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:37:37 AM »
Oh well remembered. It just shows that what's put out on the internet never really dies.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:54:14 AM »
I spend ten dollars a week on lunch.  I think this DUmmy overpaid.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
I joined CC a couple years after that 2006 post; but I remembered it too.  It had been posted again at some point for some reason.  It's memorable for its shocking rudeness.  But even more shocking, is that at the old DUmp link, you can see how absolutely thick he is about it.  Puzzled, he turns to the DUmp to ask why the lady huffed off.  He just didn't and wouldn't get it.  He's no smarter today.  

People at the DUmp remembered it too, and had some fun with it.  Also made fun of him for his sad little Thanksgiving feast of Oscar Meyer and Fritos. 

FYI:

nadinbrzezinski  (1000+ posts)        Thu Nov-24-11 05:58 PM
Response to Reply #33
47. We had duck
 With a yam...the parrots love yams. So got a small one for me and cluckes. Hubby got rice. 

Does she chain him in the basement?

The DUmp piles on RBTex.  Ikonoklast called him a liar, nobody believes his bologna, so to speak:

Ikonoklast  (1000+ posts)        Thu Nov-24-11 09:10 PM
Response to Reply #36
82. For a guy that has gas and oil royalty checks coming in, you eat like a hobo.
 If you were insulted by my post, tough.

Getting called on being less than honest must sting a little.

and even though he's a DUmmie, I like this guy's style:

REP  (1000+ posts)        Thu Nov-24-11 08:23 PM
Response to Reply #15
78. I'm back - dinner for two (including 2 bottles of wine and tip) came to
 None of your ****ing business. Polite people don't discuss money

You should row over; it's a hoot. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:23:35 PM by Karin »

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
Whatever it cost, I paid for it.

You didn't have to exert one ounce of energy for my dinner. In fact, I'd bet that you didn't have to exert one ounce of energy for your own dinner. Some entitlement program supplied it for you.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 02:38:16 PM »
I spend all my money on food! I eat what I want when I want and I enjoy fine wines and Bourbons and  Scotch. I don't have any other bills but for my mortgage so what else am I working for? Nothing better than fine food and drink IMO. 
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"