Author Topic: primitives discuss cakes shown at cooking shows  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: primitives discuss cakes shown at cooking shows
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »
My mom used to make cakes and wedding cakes. She did a small catering business, part time ever since I can remember. What I hate most about those cake decorating shows is that they use fondant an awful lot. Sorry, but fondant is NOT icing!!! Airbrushing is NOT cake decorating, either!! My mom also made her cakes from scratch, as was her frosting. NO box mixes!! EVER!! She was personally asked by Norman Wilton (he owned Wilton Cake decorating supplies) to start up cake decorating classes.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 09:01:15 AM »
Since I have never tried fondant though, I'd be willing to give it a go though. Only from Carlo's though. ;) And air brushing may not be actual decoration, I guess, it can still look fairly nice.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
What does fondant taste like? I picture it as high tech buttercreme frosting.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 09:49:30 AM »
What does fondant taste like? I picture it as high tech buttercreme frosting.

Not buttercream frosting.

I talked M into watching the cake making challenge on The Food Network with me Sunday night...he's always said no way! in more colorful terms  ::), but since there was nothing else on, he watched it. Turned out, he was fascinated!!  :lmao:

Back to your question...I was trying to explain fondant to him. It's very sweet obviously, but it's also easily formed. I was trying to think the other night, if it's in any candy bars, and couldn't think of any. It should be smooth and not grainy.

Do you remember the modeling clay that was available when we were kids? It came in 4 blocks to a pack, each about the size of a "king" sized Hershey bar.

Fondant used in cake decorating is like a cross between the modelling clay and Silly Putty. It can be molded - usually by hand or rolled out into sheets to be used either in whole sheets or cut out into shapes. It is not spreadable like buttercream would be, nor will it break down like buttercream will, but it will pull apart like a pie crust can if rolled to thin or pulled to much in any direction. It is usually applied on top of frosting that has been thinly applied. This is so that it will roll on smoothly, and not stick to the cake itself, and pull the cake apart.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »
Fondant is awesome for decorating but it really does look like it has way too much sugar in it. I'm to the point of not wanting to get cakes with buttercream anymore because it's too sweet, I'd rather have whipped cream frosting or ice cream cakes.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »
Fondant is awesome for decorating but it really does look like it has way too much sugar in it. I'm to the point of not wanting to get cakes with buttercream anymore because it's too sweet, I'd rather have whipped cream frosting or ice cream cakes.

Are you buying frosted cakes at the grocery or at a real bakery?

Grocery store's frosting is nasty stuff. I don't know what they put in it anymore, if it's the preservatives or what. But it's too tacky and oily I think.

I make my own frosting. Start with a stick of real butter and a bag of powdered sugar and go from there.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 05:18:37 PM »
Are you buying frosted cakes at the grocery or at a real bakery?

Grocery store's frosting is nasty stuff. I don't know what they put in it anymore, if it's the preservatives or what. But it's too tacky and oily I think.

I make my own frosting. Start with a stick of real butter and a bag of powdered sugar and go from there.

Grocery store, for some reason we don't have many bakeries around here anymore, and Shop Rite has a pretty awesome bakery dept. but like you said the buttercream isn't good at all.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 07:41:03 AM »

Not buttercream frosting.

I talked M into watching the cake making challenge on The Food Network with me Sunday night...he's always said no way! in more colorful terms  ::), but since there was nothing else on, he watched it. Turned out, he was fascinated!!  :lmao:

Back to your question...I was trying to explain fondant to him. It's very sweet obviously, but it's also easily formed. I was trying to think the other night, if it's in any candy bars, and couldn't think of any. It should be smooth and not grainy.

Do you remember the modeling clay that was available when we were kids? It came in 4 blocks to a pack, each about the size of a "king" sized Hershey bar.

Fondant used in cake decorating is like a cross between the modelling clay and Silly Putty. It can be molded - usually by hand or rolled out into sheets to be used either in whole sheets or cut out into shapes. It is not spreadable like buttercream would be, nor will it break down like buttercream will, but it will pull apart like a pie crust can if rolled to thin or pulled to much in any direction. It is usually applied on top of frosting that has been thinly applied. This is so that it will roll on smoothly, and not stick to the cake itself, and pull the cake apart.

I also like the fact that you can steam fondant, and make it shiny, and pristine. Awesome technique. I have a pretty big sweet tooth for cakes when I can get them, so I'd go for the fondant, OR the buttercream. Bring them both on. :)

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!