Author Topic: It's all gone now isn't it.....  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
It's all gone now isn't it.....
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3080288
The Straight Story  (1000+ posts)         Sun Mar-30-08 01:26 AM
Original message
It's all gone now isn't it.....
   Advertisements [?]

While cleaning up the garage tonight I came across some Polaroids of me from yesteryear - from the late 70's to early 80's.

Me in a 3 legged race with Mike Beagle, me and my best friend David, birthday parties for me with everything from chess sets to electric football games.

Mom was alive, I was young and thought I could do anything, and in all those pics I am looking at now show me smiling.

My friends were all so young, and yet now so many have passed away. As have those I looked up to - from mom to her friends.

As I near 43 I look back tonight to when I was in 6th grade through when I was 16, and I see a joy that I just don't recognize now.

I guess I used to believe in this world, this country, this life. I look at myself now at 42 looking back at that time from these pictures and I feel a deep sadness.

I have tried hard all these years, and yet those in power have screwed me over - all the while making themselves and their friends rich.

We are at war with a country that could not possibly endanger us, and every time I pay taxes on my income/gas/etc I am contributing to this war.

I have made my mistakes, I take full responsibility for them all. And yet, while I feel bad over the things I have done there are people in power sucking us dry and bailing out the corporations and war mongers.

It's all gone now isn't it. The simple times. The times we spent just living our lives and dreaming of the future - a future that did not involve the Soviet Union and nuclear war, etc.

Thanks to bush and crew we are worse off now than we were before.

At one time I really believed that we might all get along and have a future together.

I was wrong. It's all gone now. We are in a worse position than ever before.

Damn.

I wish I could go back sometimes.

Get over yourself would ya. ::)
billyoc  (1000+ posts)        Sun Mar-30-08 01:41 AM
Response to Original message
3. Yep, and none of it is comin' back, either. nt

Seeing I am the same age as the op and went through the Carter years I would say that is a good thing. :-)

LakeSamish706  (1000+ posts)        Sun Mar-30-08 01:46 AM
5. That is an awesome post Straight... You took me right back there as well...
   I used to spend hours watching the news coverage of the Vietnam war and the number of wounded and dead that came from that. It seems that I have lived my life surrounded by war from either a crazy(or drunk) Nixon to an absolute screwed George W Bush... I keep asking myself, will we every see peace in our lifetime! We seriously need change to someone who doesn't want to send our young into war, that leaves many family members grieving there eventual loss. Its time for change from the Bush's and Clinton's to something that can possibly bring us peace.

Ahem...it was President Johnson (D) that screwed up Vietnam and President Carter (D) that let islamofacisim take root.

WHAT (871 posts)         Sun Mar-30-08 02:19 AM
12. you/we're turning a corner...
   not a page

or even a book is not finished

(sub-thread delete has millions...

looking side-wise outta child eyes

opportunities

astound the night skeyes

'round

(what I'm trying to say is this narrowing is building-up pressure unselfaware and throbbing like youth skipping stones) there are ripples everywhere...
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

Uhhhmmm.....well good luck with that.

Drug addled idiot.

tsegat01  (1000+ posts)        Sun Mar-30-08 04:20 AM
18. I am older than you and
   I've never seen anything like this. I never thought I'd see such things happen in my lifetime, in this country. It is truly difficult to be optimistic about the future.

Only if you are a moron. :bird:

Hekate  (1000+ posts)         Sun Mar-30-08 04:35 AM
19. Nothing Is Wasted
   That came to me in a flash of insight about 10 or 15 years ago.

I have deep depressive episodes, and that was one of the times I was feeling particularly worthless. My screen name here is Hekate in part because of the time I spend in the underworld.

Then this inner voice said to me -- "Nothing is wasted." I can't tell you how much it meant at the time -- my experiences, my jobs that were interesting but seemed to go nowhere, my struggles with my teenage kids, and on and on. None of it was worthless. None of it was wasted.

The world disappoints us again and again. The part about the past that seems simpler is simply that we were young, and had it all ahead of us. Our hearts had not yet been broken and put back together.

The past 8 years have been very hard on those of us who pay attention, and I think especially so for those of us who are sensitive and/or prone to depression. The odds against us have been overwhelming. And yet...

The sun chases clouds across the lovely mountains, each child we bring forth and love is a vote of confidence that life will go on, spring wildflowers are carpeting the desert in brief ecstasy -- and nothing is wasted.

Hekate

Solution...stop feeling sorry for yourself and get a life. :mental:

leftofthedial (1000+ posts)        Sun Mar-30-08 03:38 PM
28. the last seven-to-ten years
   have destroyed hope and optimism in me.

Give us this day our daily dread . . .

Only because that is what you wish for  :loser:

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: It's all gone now isn't it.....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
Gloom meets doom...again  :sosad:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
This asshat was a Senior when I was a sophomore.

Look DUmmie you can either let life control you or you control your life.

It's as simple as that.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »
I think the crooked tale primitive is going through a mid-life crisis.

Stupid primitives, thinking that with "free medical care for all," they can be young forever.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »

Stupid primitives, thinking that with "free medical care for all," they can be young forever.

So am I but you don't see me on the Internet ****ing whining about it and boring everybody to tears with my Signifigant Angst the way this assclown does.

Geez no wonder these manginas never get laid.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »
Time for the black capsule, Straightstory.  Too bad your lifespan was not bestowed on someone who could do something with it.  It's a tragedy that a kid full of promise dies in a traffic accident, gets cancer, or even never enters the world thanks to late-term abortion, but a ****ing lamprey like you lives.

:hammer:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »
When McCain wins the DUmp ois going to be hilarious.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
When McCain wins the DUmp ois going to be hilarious.

It's going to be funnier than President Bush's second win.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »
Has anyone noticed that these screed's all seem to be the same??  Always trying to relive some glorious past while never failing to end with "its Bushes fault......"

I'm sure all of us share fond memories of our past and particularly childhood and teenage years, but I'm sure as hell glad that I eventually grew up......

The statistical probability of THAT many aging hippies all landing on the same website at the same time must be either staggering, or providential.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 05:24:27 PM »
Has anyone noticed that these screed's all seem to be the same??  Always trying to relive some glorious past while never failing to end with "its Bushes fault......"

I'm sure all of us share fond memories of our past and particularly childhood and teenage years, but I'm sure as hell glad that I eventually grew up......

The statistical probability of THAT many aging hippies all landing on the same website at the same time must be either staggering, or providential.....

doc

It's called Bush Derangement Syndrome...BDS for sort.

And yes it IS providential.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »

"I keep asking myself, will we every see peace in our lifetime! We seriously need change to someone who doesn't want to send our young into war, that leaves many family members grieving there eventual loss. Its time for change from the Bush's and Clinton's to something that can possibly bring us peace."

It makes one wonder just what history books or news media they have been listening to since the start of the 20Th Century. It would seem this DUmpmonkie thinks that only the US has been at war and that only we have had losses. I hate to break the news to you but Israel alone has fought at least 5 major wars and who knows how many skirmishes since 1948. We are not the only ones having to kick somebodies ass for getting uppity. The Indians and the Pakistanis have long been going at it,South America and its hoard of little banana republics have fought a few wars and then there is Asia. Between the Chinese and the ROC it's a wonder how Taiwan is still there with all the trash talk the Chicoms have  made and actual attacks. In all I believe that in the days after WWII there have been around 20 major wars fought since peace was declared after the japanese had surrendered in 1945. The only way the Dummies will see peace in anyones lifetime is when all the thugs and dictators and Commies are either dead or give up their dreams of winning dominion over all.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »
Time for the black capsule, Straightstory.  Too bad your lifespan was not bestowed on someone who could do something with it.  It's a tragedy that a kid full of promise dies in a traffic accident, gets cancer, or even never enters the world thanks to late-term abortion, but a ******* lamprey like you lives.

:hammer:

:clap:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

:rotf: :rotf: :lmao: :lmao: :rotf: :rotf:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 04:41:50 AM »

So am I but you don't see me on the Internet ****ing whining about it and boring everybody to tears with my Signifigant Angst the way this assclown does.

Or if they do, it's because they're being the bottom . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 07:53:13 AM »
Oh to be 43 again.  Young, carefree, your life ahead of you.

Amazing how kids don't know their history.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
I remember the sweet, care-free days of my youth.  Locked in my room with my disenfranchised friends, we used to inhale paint fumes while Kurt Cobain's melodic voice exploded from the radio and pierced our ears.  In those happy times, we used to share stories about how much we hated our parents, how awful school was, how no one understood us, or how blessed the feeling was when you drowned your brain with industrial chemicals.  Those were the days when a kid could have sex and simply terminate the result without having hords of anti-choice fundies decending from the tree-tops screeching "WHORE!" and "MURDERER!" at the tops of their hate-speech spewing lungs.  But those days are over.  Gone... torn from me like a Playboy centerfold torn out of one of my bigot father's magazines.  Damn it all, I used to have hope.  Hopes that I could get high without losing my job.  Hopes that I could screw that beautiful poet of a girl who sat behind me in homeroom... the one with God's natural oil in her hair :blowkiss: ... without having to worry about her parents finding out about the abortion.  Hopes that one day Saddam Hussein would toss out the first ceremonial pitch of a Major League Baseball home-opener.  But thanks to a heartless Rethuglican pResident, it will never come to pass.  Curse it all!  Curse this country, curse this pResident, and curse all those idiot fundies who had the audacity to vote for a guy I don't like!  They should all be herded into camps and put to death for their destruction of democracy.  Only then will the goodness and purity of this nation be restored.  Only then will hope be reborn.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:42:40 AM by Red October »

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:36 PM »
I have tried hard all these years, and yet those in power have screwed me over - all the while making themselves and their friends rich.

It's pretty pathetic to be 43 years old and still not willing to take responsibility for their lives. I'd like to know EXACTLY how they've screwed THIS idiot over. I'm guessing they lived in paradise while Clinton was president and have only recently become losers. And once again money determines happiness.

Cindie

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 01:13:49 PM »
The Straight Story, and the other DUmmies who feel the same way, you're worthless idiots.  When you allow the direction of politics to rule your life, you get what you deserve.

Here's to your continued self-imposed misery.   :cheersmate:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 01:21:11 PM »
The worst part is, for Straightstory, is that s/he isn't important enough to be screwed over by those in power.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies