Author Topic: When did it occur to you that you were never going to be wealthy?  (Read 12291 times)

Offline ReaganForRushmore

Re: When did it occur to you that you were never going to be wealthy?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »
My parents were not college grads,mom and dad busted their asses to provide for the family. Sent six kids to Catholic school for 12 grades, sent 4 to college. Dad  was a accountant for an oil company,mom was an RN. They had the same house for 53 years and watched expenses. Mom died over 20 years ago
and recently, dad is starting to see his health fail.

When one of my sisters and I sat down with dad to go over what he had, we were surprised with the amount of money he and mom had saved. It's not a million, but I saw the results of his frugality. He apologized it wasn't more, but he said that mom and dad always thought their greatest wealth was in their children. Like dad said,

"A penny saved, is a penny earned.",

"If it is not a need, then it's a want.",

"why buy new?",

"will you still use it in a year?",

"it's never the money, it's the expense."

Thanks Mom and Dad

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 11:07:47 PM »
You haven't a ****ing clue what my "own self-interest" is, dumb****. STFU before I kick you in the pants.

If I let some of those whiney bitches worry about my self-interest, I'd be just as unhappy as them. I learned a long time ago that there will always be someone richer and someone poorer, and to be thankful every day for what I have.  It's a shame these people are so self-centered that they can't even see how rich they are compared to most of the rest of the world.  I saw some sane DUers mention that on the thread, and the chorus of crybabies were all "but but but...waaaaaaahhhhh".

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »
According to MN state gov't, it's right around $67,500/year.

I hope that those making $67,500/year have no kids and live with their parents.  You can't be "wealthy" at that income.  That's damn close to our combined income and live almost paycheck-to-paycheck.  We do not have a lot of debt either.

We do work our asses off though.  My husband got a manager position at the age of 23.  He's in charge of the entire site out here in Las Vegas.  His 50 year old liberal aunt was offered a management position but turned it down because she didn't want to do the extra tasks.  She has a house in Phoenix with her domestic partner (yes, she's a lesbian) but his aunt works in Tuscon and rents an apartment.  All because she didn't want a management position.  She pays mortgage and rent with pay decrease.

I don't understand her way of thinking.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Karin

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 07:22:11 AM »
12% at $67,500???!!!  What the hell are those stupid, insulated people thinking?  That's $8,100!  Who could afford that?  Thank God Pawlenty vetoed it.  I'd be packing up and hightailing it out of there just as fast as I could.  MN isn't that great.  The nation's oven and icebox at the same time.  Full of liberals.  Garrison Keillor.  Might as well go to South Dakota.  I used to travel to MN a lot on business, and there are some extremely nice people there.  But 12%?  No thanks. 

What did Frank used to call the OP?  The grouchy old primitive?  Well, no wonder. 

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 08:48:41 AM »
I recently read an article on the "Secrets of Millionaires."  It was basically a profile on 5 self-made millionaires.  The common factor, for all of them, was that they found an income source outside of their usual job, then worked hard at both jobs until they were able to make the 2nd income source successful.  They didn't accept that the best they could do was to be a retail clerk or an office worker, they found a way to become their own boss. 

http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/secrets-of-successful-entrepreneurs/article50301.html

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 09:34:06 AM »
Wealth for its own sake never really mattered to me, though I guess by some pulled-out-of-some-bureaucrat's-ass measure I am comfortably above the line at the line for what is called wealthy.  However, I did know from the day I had my first paying job pounding fenceposts and stringing barbed wire for two bucks an hour that diligence and keeping the door open for new opportunity would work out in the long run, and it has.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 09:40:05 AM »
When did it occur to you that you were never going to be wealthy?

Every Wednesday and Saturday when my numbers don't come up in the lottery!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:40 AM »
Every Wednesday and Saturday when my numbers don't come up in the lottery!

:lmao:

But in the meantime, you are working everyday to make sure you can pay your bills...right?

That's what we're doin'..... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
I've done well, I admit it, but it's not something I dwell on or make a big deal about except to anger the primitives.  They would tell me that I was either a crook (because, you know, that's the only way people can get rich) or that I was lucky.  The only thing I know is the harder I worked, the luckier I got.  But saying something like that to a liberal is so far over their head they can't even begin to understand it.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline jukin

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »
Putting in the minimum work, time, and effort will always get you to the top.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:13 PM »
Putting in the minimum work, time, and effort will always get you to the top.

Minimum wage for a maximum loser.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
I've done well, I admit it, but it's not something I dwell on or make a big deal about except to anger the primitives.  They would tell me that I was either a crook (because, you know, that's the only way people can get rich) or that I was lucky.  The only thing I know is the harder I worked, the luckier I got.  But saying something like that to a liberal is so far over their head they can't even begin to understand it.

If you are rich, what are you doing in this cave? heh

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »
If you are rich, what are you doing in this cave? heh

Having fun with friends.   :-)

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
12% at $67,500???!!!  What the hell are those stupid, insulated people thinking?  That's $8,100!  Who could afford that?  Thank God Pawlenty vetoed it.  I'd be packing up and hightailing it out of there just as fast as I could.  MN isn't that great.  The nation's oven and icebox at the same time.  Full of liberals.  Garrison Keillor.  Might as well go to South Dakota.  I used to travel to MN a lot on business, and there are some extremely nice people there.  But 12%?  No thanks. 

What did Frank used to call the OP?  The grouchy old primitive?  Well, no wonder. 
SD has no state income tax
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Chris_

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 10:42:52 PM »
Nevada also has no state income tax.

And soon NO HARRY REID!!!!

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
For every single one of those losers it should have been the day they signed up for the DUmp and found themselves surrounded by other wealth-hating Marxists.

If you hate something, why would you ever want to be it?  And if you surround yourself by a like-minded group, you will always be like that group, unless you have an epiphany and leave.  Or get TS'd.  I bet getting TS'd is the best thing that ever happened to Pitt and in six to eighteen months he will be a confirmed conservative.  Well, maybe I wouldn't bet on it but he has a better chance now than ever before.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
:lmao:

But in the meantime, you are working everyday to make sure you can pay your bills...right?

That's what we're doin'..... :-)

Yeah, I'm working everyday in order to buy kibbles and bits! Just ask my "masters". lol

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »
Having fun with friends fiends.   :-)

there! fixed it for ya!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 01:00:06 PM »
Yeah, I'm working everyday in order to buy kibbles and bits! Just ask my "masters". lol

I don't know what you feed yours....but either Iams needs to stop raising their prices, or my girls need to stop eating like every time they hit the trough is their last meal.... :thatsright:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
I worked hard, got low end rich, drove Formula Bord Race cars for several years, which cost enoughb to drop me off the "rich" scale, then my eldest son started college, younger son started 4 years later. After 8 years, I( starded to "rebuild" and was "low end rich" again, and things looked swell. Then, both parents died within a two month period, and shortly thereafter a creeping illness almost killed me. AND 5 1/2 MONTHS AFTER THAT i LEFT RTHE HOSPITAL

Offline sofa king

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 01:50:58 AM »
when did it occur to me that i would never be wealthy?

never.

and this is totally not from me.  absolutely not about me.  it is from my father.  not working?  heh, out of the question.  being sub-standard?  not an option.  failure?  never...

was my old man a hard ass about this?  absolutely!  do i love him each and every day for being that way?  absolutely!

now.  not then.

now.

in this moment?  my father was the greatest genius i ever knew.

now?

he was the wisest man ever born.

i would trade 10 years of my life for one minute more with my father.

just to hear him tell me about...

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 07:04:57 AM »
when did it occur to me that i would never be wealthy?

never.

and this is totally not from me.  absolutely not about me.  it is from my father.  not working?  heh, out of the question.  being sub-standard?  not an option.  failure?  never...

was my old man a hard ass about this?  absolutely!  do i love him each and every day for being that way?  absolutely!

now.  not then.

now.

in this moment?  my father was the greatest genius i ever knew.

now?

he was the wisest man ever born.

i would trade 10 years of my life for one minute more with my father.

just to hear him tell me about...

My father told me, "As I get older, my father gets smarter."

It's the same way with me.  As I get older, he gets smarter.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 11:04:30 AM »
after leaving  the hospital and paying my end of the %800,000 bill (abt $300,000) I spent acouplre of years as aan invalid. Now, about 15 months ago, I began a rebiulding program, and have increased the net wworth of my financialss plus earned a lving wage in interest. If obama stops screwing up the economy with his  berzerker interpretation of Keynsian economics , I'll do MUCH BETTER. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 11:10:14 AM »
Dear DUmmies,

Do you REALLY need that kind of money to live comfortably?  Or is your life so empty and meaningless you mistakenly think that a few dollars will somehow fill the void?

I'm not rich--hell, after the last year with the divorce, etc., I'm in debt up to my eyeballs and will be working for several YEARS to eliminate it.  But a lot of it is of my own making.  And yet, despite it all, I'm pretty happy.  I have relatively good health, I'm working, I enjoy what I do, and every now and then I can splurge on a meal out or a beer at the watering hole.  Once every year or two, I take a small vacation.  What more do you really want?

As a wise man once said, "Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth.  Some are born with a rusty fork up their ass."
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
Dearist DUmmies, I realized it Thursday morning when I checked the Powerball numbers. BUT no worries, it'll get up there again some day and I'll have another shot.  :uhsure: