Author Topic: Egypt shocked by 'foul-mouthed' Gaza cousins  (Read 1293 times)

Offline bijou

Egypt shocked by 'foul-mouthed' Gaza cousins
« on: February 17, 2008, 06:59:56 AM »

Like many Egyptians, Mohammed Sayeed had always harboured sympathy for his Arab brothers in neighbouring Israeli-occupied Palestine. But that sympathy was tested last month when Hamas blew open the Gaza Strip's land crossing with Egypt and Palestinians crossed the border in droves.

"It wasn't nice at all," remembers Mr Sayeed, whose restaurant near the town of al-Arish, 30 miles from the border, was overrun by Gazans demanding food and service. "They used very bad language that we didn't expect them to use. We had the impression before that they were good people going through a hard time. But this is not the way we expected them to be at all."

Basic supplies in Gaza have dwindled since June, when heavy sanctions followed Hamas's takeover. The Rafah foot crossing into Egypt was shut then, too, when its guards and foreign monitors fled amid rising violence, trapping Palestinians inside Gaza until the border fence was blown up on Jan 23 and hundreds of thousands streamed into Egypt. For four days they cleaned out shops until Egyptian forces resealed the border and built a concrete wall.

But if the Egyptian shopkeepers feel lukewarm towards their Palestinian cousins, so too does the Egyptian government. Gaza was administered from Cairo until it was captured by Israel in 1967, and while Egypt is one of only two Arab states along with Jordan that recognises Israel diplomatically, cultural ties to Gaza remain strong. However, the political relationship between the two has become more tense since the hardline Islamist group Hamas took power in 2006.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/17/wgaza117.xml

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Egypt shocked by 'foul-mouthed' Gaza cousins
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:24:07 AM »
More ammo for the "open borders" crowd.  Substitute California for Egypt and Mexico for Gaza...
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:34:35 AM »
...Israeli-occupied Palestine...

Who the **** wrote that? gator?

I happen to think its Arab-occupied-Israel.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline bijou

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:49:40 AM »

Since it is the Telegraph I think the writer was describing Mohammed Sayeed's point of view rather than the paper's editorial line.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:18:50 AM »

The Israelis don't even want it, why would you think that?
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.