Author Topic: Can't Wait For TiT To Comment On This One  (Read 7285 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Can't Wait For TiT To Comment On This One
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
unhappycamper (1000+ posts) Sat Jan-05-08 08:39 AM
Original message
Man in fake MoH case: Law restricts speech
Man in fake MoH case: Law restricts speech
The Associated Press
Posted : Friday Jan 4, 2008 19:31:04 EST

LOS ANGELES — An elected official charged with falsely claiming he earned the military’s highest honor has filed a motion to dismiss the federal case against him on free speech grounds.

The motion argues that the Stolen Valor Act of 2005, under which water board member Xavier Alvarez was charged, is incompatible with the First Amendment because it restricts free speech by criminalizing false claims of military honors.

Alvarez, an elected representative to the Three Valleys Municipal Water District, said last year at a water district meeting that he was awarded the Medal of Honor for his deeds as a Marine.

After admitting he never served in the military, he was charged with violating the Stolen Valor Act. He pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charge.

Alvarez’s lawyer Brianna J. Fuller argued in the motion to dismiss, which will be heard Jan. 14 in federal court, that “protecting the reputation of military decorations” is not a compelling enough reason to place “restrictions on false statements.”

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=259x9294
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: Can't Wait For TiT To Comment On This One
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »
Tommy'll want that guy fried!

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »
I haven't seen the "Second most decorated Sailor" in a few days.  I think he's been laying low since a couple of the DUmmies have figured out his game.

Either that or he got busted by Veri Seal  :naughty:

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:41:50 AM »
 It's against his 1st amendment rights to keep him from claiming an honor he didn't earn?   WTF, over?

I mean, DUmmy logic isn't the best at any time, but this take the cake!!

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:01:55 AM »
I haven't seen the "Second most decorated Sailor" in a few days.  I think he's been laying low since a couple of the DUmmies have figured out his game.

He might have been called  back up on a super-secret mission.

Has anyone seen Hugo Chavez in a few days?  :-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »
Xavier Alvarez's First Amendment claims will not hold.  It is illegal to claim to be or have been a police officer.  It's called "impersonating an officer of the law".   How can that law be valid if "Stolen Valor" is deemed unconstitutional?   Will we all be able to buy a badge at Walgreens?

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »
It's against his 1st amendment rights to keep him from claiming an honor he didn't earn?   WTF, over?

I mean, DUmmy logic isn't the best at any time, but this take the cake!!
One must remember that to a DUmmy a crime is disagreeing with them.
Having FBI files in the Whitehouse basement,hiding supoenaed legal records,lying to a Grand Jury,taking overseas campaign contributions.....you know,those things where there is an actual written statute that was violated,are all just little mistakes.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »
Well at least its an orininal dumbass though. I hope he likes whatever the judge hits him with.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
Well at least its an orininal dumbass though. I hope he likes whatever the judge hits him with.

Hopefully it's the legal version of an aluminum bat.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 11:33:28 AM »

Next time you see him post watch who shows up :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline djones520

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »

I take it Squatch is yours?  Or someone you know atleast.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »

C'mon d you should know DU moling etiquitte better than that.There are more than a couple of "du'ers" on to him though squatch is just the most outspoken :-) How do I know you are not Squatch :therock:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:52:00 AM by Toastedturningtidelegs »

Offline djones520

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »

C'mon d you should know DU moling etiquitte better than that.There are more than a couple of "du'ers" on to him though squatch is just the most outspoken :-) How do I know you are not Squatch :therock:

I don't have the patience to create new email addresses, and wait the 24 hours to activate the account.  And it seems everytime I do actually try, something stops me from doing it.  This last time, I was banned before I even logged in the first time.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:28 PM »
Have you ever moled there before? Sounds like skins IP banned you! If so inclined see about getting a proxy. Also I believe if you use a free e-mail they make you wait 24 hours.

Offline djones520

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 12:11:37 PM »
I haven't been enough of a nuisance to get IP banned.  I've only had 2 accounts that I've actually posted under, and I never got more then 2 posts each.

Not sure why this last account was banned.  I sent them an email asking why, but never got a reply.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »
Have you ever moled there before? Sounds like skins IP banned you! If so inclined see about getting a proxy. Also I believe if you use a free e-mail they make you wait 24 hours.

Many of us have accounts over there.  After you get banned a few times (DU has an itchy trigger finger for non-donors -- at least TOS (TOOS?) will ban donors), you learn how to hide in the shadows. 

It is good to keep an account for many reasons -- first and foremost when they go to "lock down" is when the funniest shit gets posted.  Also, you can gently nudge a thread to get more damning information while still staying as pure as the driven liberal crack.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.