Author Topic: Cursive writing is not being taught in much of America.  (Read 871 times)

Offline CC27

Cursive writing is not being taught in much of America.
« on: January 26, 2024, 07:44:56 AM »
Cyrano (14,909 posts)

Cursive writing is not being taught in much of America.
Cursive writing (longhand writing) is no longer being taught in schools in many states. Children are taught to print, (capital and lower case), and to use keyboards, but that's all. And this isn't happening in red states only. Some blue states have decided that being able to write the English language in longhand isn't important.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think this is insanity. If you can't write out the English language in longhand, how will you be able to read it?

The Declaration of Independence is written in longhand. The Constitution is written in longhand. Evidently, unless they read printed versions, these documents will be nothing more than encoded, "ancient" documents to much of Generation Z, and generations to come.

I can come up with countless reasons why it is important to retain cursive writing as part of our universal education. But I'd rather hear you thoughts on this. So I'm going to shut up and listen to your answers. I may even jot down a few notes here and there to your replies.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100218625510

Tell this to the rat teachers unions you love so much who are dumbing down kids.

Offline 67 Rover

Re: Cursive writing is not being taught in much of America.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 07:58:07 AM »
We were told by democrats that cursive is racist just like everything else.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Online Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 08:03:05 AM »
Though for the older people, this will become our own secret code from the youngsters

They are starting to teach cursive writing again herein eastern NC
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 08:12:39 AM »
Though for the older people, this will become our own secret code from the youngsters

They are starting to teach cursive writing again herein eastern NC

We could also resurrect analog clocks and rotary phones to really confuse the hell out of them.  :cheersmate:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 08:16:09 AM »
We could also resurrect analog clocks and rotary phones to really confuse the hell out of them.  :cheersmate:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Man, they'd hate dialing that pesky 0 number, and even the 9.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the DUmmy. Cursive writing is a lost art, which most if not all of us learned in elementary school.

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Online Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 09:26:25 AM »
When did it change from script to cursive and why are some people too stupid to understand?
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 09:57:27 AM »
Ummmmmm, this was news and a topic of outrage on conservative discussion sites years ago (more than 10?). Nice to see a Prog site catching up a little, though with predictable pretzallation ("And this isn't happening in red states only.").

True (boring) bouncy ... in my junior or senior year of high school I switched back from cursive to printing. My cursive was slow AF and looked like a 4th Grader's handwriting. Within a few days my printing was faster than my cursive and 50+ years later I still print, because it works for me. HOWEVER, unlike some/many/most never taught cursive I can read cursive as well as the legibility of what was written.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 10:05:36 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 11:07:17 AM »
My writing is not so good so I just print, I learned how to print neatly in mechanical drawing classes, but my printing has deteriorated with my age..

I think mechanical drawing with paper and pencil has gone the way of the slide rule  :-)

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 05:01:36 PM »
The Declaration of Independence is written in longhand. The Constitution is written in longhand. Evidently, unless they read printed versions, these documents will be nothing more than encoded, "ancient" documents to much of Generation Z, and generations to come.

I have good news: There are, in fact, printed versions.

As for the Declaration of Independence and Constitution potentially being regarded as "ancient", you can blame the left for promoting that very belief.

Online Old n Grumpy

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 05:17:08 PM »
I have good news: There are, in fact, printed versions.

As for the Declaration of Independence and Constitution potentially being regarded as "ancient", you can blame the left for promoting that very belief.

At first they considered them living documents, now they consider them dead

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 05:23:42 PM »
At first they considered them living documents, now they consider them dead

Whatever verbiage it takes to get the proles to NOT consider them - especially in context of Dim'Rat governance - AT ALL.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus