Author Topic: Good Cops are out there too! - A random newbie  (Read 163 times)

Offline RuralNc

Good Cops are out there too! - A random newbie
« on: February 01, 2023, 05:59:21 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217608344

NowISeetheLight (603 posts)

Good Cops are out there too!

I’m a bit frustrated and upset. I see a lot of “PIG” comments in some posts. I remember back in the 70s when I was a kid my Dad had a sticker on his pistol case. “If you don’t like cops, the next time you need help, call a hippie”. It had a hippie making a peace sign on it.

I remember my Dad before he became a Police Chief in the mid 70s. He’d pull extra hours at McDonalds or Byerlys in Minneapolis for extra money. I remember him being hurt on several occasions by “citizens” and recall one night my Mom bundling my brother and I up and driving us to the hospital late at night. I still have the Fraternal Order of Police Legion of Valor certificate and ribbon he received after being shot in the face with a pepper spray gun of some sort. They were investigating an open door at a bar after closing and stumbled on two burglars. He had fragments in his eye for the rest of his life.

With over 800,000 police officers out there I’m sure like any population there are some bad apples. They get all the press. So I thought I’d post a few video links from YouTube about good cops. Some of the posts here make it seem like every cop in America is being painted with the same brush. I’d remind people that’s the same thinking some use to paint various racial groups the same way. It isn’t justified in either scenario.

I found the first video very emotional. The officer explains why he became a cop. It wasn’t to oppress people, or maintain the white power structure, or any of the other reasons I’ve seen some suggest.

So kick back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy some cops who seem to know what it’s supposed to be like when dealing with people. Cops who are heroes. Some of them are even “cool”. Even when they’re arresting someone. I wish I lived in a world where they were all like this. Then again I wish I lived in a world where repeat criminals don’t run wild either.

So I just want to drop this off, and see what happens at the DUmp. So far 80 views and not a single comment. I dont know if this newbie is pining for a hide, a MIRT, or just trying to shed some much needed light on the worlds most backwards, dystopian nightmare of a non-discussion forum AKA, the DUmp.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Good Cops are out there too! - A random newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 06:13:12 PM »
EX500rider (8,565 posts)

1. I agree and will add..

.. that with almost a million arrests every month obviously 99.999% of them do not end poorly.

A DUmmy I wholeheartedly agree with!

Star Member WmChris (30 posts)

2. Good cops?

Good cops would hold bad cops accountable. Instead most look away and protect their brothers. That's not to say there are not some are actually trying to serve and protect they just need to root out the bad apples.

Star Member WhiskeyGrinder (19,137 posts)

3. LivePD is straight up copaganda. I encourage you to listen to the "Running from COPS" podcast.

I’d remind people that’s the same thinking some use to paint various racial groups the same way.
This is a pretty gross thing to say; people can stop being cops. They can't stop being racialized.

The officer explains why he became a cop. It wasn’t to oppress people, or maintain the white power structure, or any of the other reasons I’ve seen some suggest.
Then he shouldn't have joined an institution that oppresses people and upholds the white power structure. Pretty simple!

Some of them are even “cool”. Even when they’re arresting someone.
Lol what on earth.

MIRT ALERT!!! :ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes:

lame54 (33,306 posts)

5. There are tough hippies too
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender