Author Topic: MLK jr rumors  (Read 370 times)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
MLK jr rumors
« on: January 13, 2023, 10:50:51 AM »
I know it's early, but I'm off school monday, so probably won't be on much, and am doing MLK Jr. Day work with students.  As we look at him and his life, I'm reminded of rumors that have sprung up claiming he and people in his immediate circle were frequent adulterers and abusive of women in their company.  There have been claims that the infamous FBI wiretaps caught some of these actions on tape, but those tapes are still locked up for a few more years.  Any one here know how reputable the accusations are, and if the release of those tapes (if it happens) will vindicate or vilify Dr. King?

Hopefully it's all more character assassination, but that's a lot of damage to a very hallowed man and a very hallowed cause.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: MLK jr rumors
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 11:36:12 AM »
The fbi was corrupt even back then. J Edgar Hoover was an evil guy and a homo to boot..
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 01:27:22 PM »
The fbi was corrupt even back then. J Edgar Hoover was an evil guy and a homo to boot..

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that the US-KGB was the point of origin for the "rumors" in enslaved1's OP. I'd also just about wager the mortgage that the "tapes" they classified and locked up have NOTHING on them, or more likely the innocent chit-chat one would expect to hear in your average 1960s home - much to the US-KGB's chagrin.

I say this, because as intent as they were on destroying MLK's character and reputation, if there was ANYTHING actually incriminating or even just socially awkward about his conduct at home that they could have used against him, they'd have trumpeted it from every rooftop they could access without a second's hesitation.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 11:11:40 PM »
Any one here know how reputable the accusations are, and if the release of those tapes (if it happens) will vindicate or vilify Dr. King?

Hopefully it's all more character assassination, but that's a lot of damage to a very hallowed man and a very hallowed cause.

With only three network-newscasts, King coverage ranged somewhere between minimal and modest.  There were NEVER any stories about his personal behavior.  It was all about 'events'.  He gradually became known as an 'interesting thinker', replacing the chaotic Black Muslim messaging and infighting.  You could say that he 'rescued' the Civil Rights Movement.

Hoover acted like he didn't believe that King was non-violent.  He couldn't seem to let it go.  So the tapes are probably embarrassing for the FBI more than anything else.