Author Topic: Okay. Okay... Bring On A Third-Party  (Read 558 times)

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Okay. Okay... Bring On A Third-Party
« on: December 11, 2022, 09:10:50 PM »
“If a third-party candidate blew past historic precedent and managed to win enough Electoral Votes to keep any candidate from getting to 270, then the outcome would be decided in the House of Representatives, which is controlled by Republicans and where Donald Trump would prevail,” the report goes on to say.

https://conservativebrief.com/fear-2-69014/?utm_source=CB&utm_medium=DJD

The media can't stop itself from 'destroying' the 2-party system.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Okay. Okay... Bring On A Third-Party
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 06:03:50 AM »
I just don't see a 3rd party EVER coming to any kind of significant influence over election outcome. The only guy who came close was Ross Perot of the so-called Reform Party in the 1992 and 1996 elections and that did nothing but put Slick Willie in the WH.

One could argue that Perot's startling performance gave rise to the Tea Party (he won more than 5% of the vote), but I note that there really haven't been any candidates that split the Dem party nearly as much as Independents have split the Repubs.

In every instance I can think of save 1968's George Wallace who failed to keep Nixon out of the WH, the rise of a 3rd party candidate put a Dem in the WH.

Besides, the American voter just doesn't veer very far from the 2-party system, as corrupt and evil as it is.

I'd love to be able to vote the Constitution Party and be reasonably assured that my vote had meaning, but in today's political system, me voting for a Constitution Party candidate is a vote for a Dem, and that is unacceptable.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 02:11:06 PM »
Frankly, I thought 2016, between the never-Trumpers and the Berners might have torn at least one of the parties apart to the point of creating a genuinely viable third party, with enough people and money behind it to damage the business as usual swamp.  Sadly I was incorrect. 

That kind of split seems the only real way to break our cycle of nothing changing but a few of the names.  The only thing Ds and Rs agree on is that the current system keeps them in power and money, and any significant change would be bad (see their reaction to Trump winning and the obstruction he faced from both parties).  Third parties and independent candidates lack the campaign money, the infrastructure, and the connections to actually win enough elections to make real changes. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 06:57:12 AM »
Promises made by 'candidates' may morph-into third-party amalgamations...

The Free-Speech Party
The Anti-FBI Party
The No Science Is Settled Party
The Pat Buchannan Party (pro-isolationist party)

as examples.  We'll see.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 04:04:44 PM »
Promises made by 'candidates' may morph-into third-party amalgamations...

The Free-Speech Party
The Anti-FBI Party
The No Science Is Settled Party
The Pat Buchannan Party (pro-isolationist party)

as examples.  We'll see.

With all the ooohing and ahhing about Twitter, might as well form a Twitter Party as well.  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 10:52:24 PM »
With all the ooohing and ahhing about Twitter, might as well form a Twitter Party as well.  :whatever:

President Grant probably summed it up best:  I know only two tunes: one of them is "Yankee Doodle" and the other isn't.